were they on drugs when they booked Mark Kerr vs Greg Stott?

lapollarecords

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
I'm watching it on fight pass. short fat clueless mcdojo guy vs gigantic undefeated bal of muscle. who booked that shit? they wanted that guy to die?

stott-kerr_display_image.jpg

also, just bleed guy appears during the introductions

Old UFC mini tournament were full of mismatches. Anyway Hindsight is 20/20.

kerr was a great fighter and a key figure in the early, my preferred, era of mma, who was a powerful wrestler and because of his strength and skill and likely juice induced performance was never too tested in his early fights by someone who could neutralize his takedowns... stott was an army ranger, and at least he probably went into the fight clean.

also, stott apparently was/is a bodybuilder.

this was during a time when it still appeared vaguely possible that special crazy traditional martial artists might have something. mark kerr embodies progress for the sport in this fight - jokers get cast aside. in his prime and at that moment of mma evolution - kerr was damn near unstoppable

It's crazy how much things have changed. I do miss the old tournament structure, though.

31878.jpg

Looks don't mean much. Kerr didn't fare as well against this short chubby guy

kerr was a great fighter and a key figure in the early, my preferred, era of mma, who was a powerful wrestler and because of his strength and skill and likely juice induced performance was never too tested in his early fights by someone who could neutralize his takedowns... stott was an army ranger, and at least he probably went into the fight clean.

also, stott apparently was/is a bodybuilder.

Being an Army Ranger in the 80s/early 90s (coupled with being a bodybuilder) increases the chance of him not being clean. A pretty driven dude.

But he is currently at least, a big drug-free bodybuilding proponent.

Does anyone know what he went to prison for?

this was during a time when it still appeared vaguely possible that special crazy traditional martial artists might have something. mark kerr embodies progress for the sport in this fight - jokers get cast aside. in his prime and at that moment of mma evolution - kerr was damn near unstoppable

Check these out from Kerr's carrer. :D

Dan Bobish Submission (Chin to the Eye)
Sidney Goncalves Freitas DQ (Crawling out of the Ring)

powerlifter rather than body builder it seems, actually.. but im surprised they didnt have the RIP speech on there, i personally dont think less of him for it, i think they were trying to make the program entertaining

Prime Kerr = destroyer of worlds
Kerr-flexing.gif

Last edited:
Kerr was a beast in those early days. Wrestler who took the game seriously and had an elite ground game. IMO he would have done pretty decent in peak form even if he were competing today.

absolutely, especially if they were to allow heatbutts. nobody was able to stop his takedowns because he was too strong, skilled, and fast. certainly one of the best wrestlers to ever fight in mma.

Stott's complaint about the stoppage was legendary and was the butt of jokes on the internet for years.

He claimed his "armadillo defense" was just kicking in.

Kerr had no idea how close to death he really came.

31878.jpg

Looks don't mean much. Kerr didn't fare as well against this short chubby guy

Vovchanchyn had a ton of experience and a long list of KO wins when he fought Kerr. Stott's style was some shit he invented called RIP and his punches look like the ones in pro wrestling

Kerr was a beast in those early days. Wrestler who took the game seriously and had an elite ground game. IMO he would have done pretty decent in peak form even if he were competing today.

Kerr was a phenom at the time.

He combined his elite level wrestling with underrated, powerful striking.

I'm not sure if "they" were on drugs...but Mark Kerr certainly was. :icon_twis

Back