Were people impressed by Nate?

Yeah kinda just because I thought he would get destroyed like he did without ever hurting Leon

He'd be a hell of a lot more interesting at LW

He looked slow and fat. Landed one good shot and people want to talk about how awesome he is and how Leon deserves nothing. In other words, business as usual.
Nate showed up in shape don't know wtf you're smoking.... clown

I was impressed that he was able to wobble Edwards so late in a one sided fight but then I was very unimpressed when he just stood there instead of following through.

He's just too small for that division when it comes to the 'bigger' guys who cut down to be there...

Diaz is notoriously slow and plodding and is only getting older, his toughness is never in question but that whole fight went exactly how I and i'd imagine most fight fans saw it going (complete with the last moments of round 5).

So I spose I was impressed with the fact that it was a Diaz fight and he fought it like a Diaz would...and did...but I wouldn't say it was super competitive as much as everyone waiting for that 'Diaz moment' to appear; and it did.

In a sense yea.
Not because I think he looks that relevant or skilled, but because I thought he was getting finished.

he was the biggest underdog on the card and still looks durable out there and was the closest one to finishing the fight.

that said, no one had Nate winning a decision lol

He's been finished twice in like 40 fights total including his TUF fights. Why would he get finished by a guy who hardly finishes anyone? Diaz may look sloppy but he's not a guy who gets finished easily whatsoever. Super durable and endless cardio.

people like him as a person.
I agree with this. And, from what little we actually know about him as a person that says a lot about his fans. Duur! He talks trash! Duur he smokes weed!! He's tough maybe, but he may just be too stupid to feel pain? Did you see him give away his last fight, just so he could mean mug and flip Leon off? Yeah. I see why people love him.

Looked terrible until the last minute which I put down to Leon coasting rather than Nate doing anything.

He got busted up and spent so long playing mind games to clearly try to hide he had nothing else for Leon.

In the last 10 years his record is 7 wins/ 8 loses, and yet he still manages to be one of the highest earners in the UFC. Got to give him some props for that.

Nothing better than seeing Nate make a bunch of idiots angry.

<36>

I agree with this. And, from what little we actually know about him as a person that says a lot about his fans. Duur! He talks trash! Duur he smokes weed!! He's tough maybe, but he may just be too stupid to feel pain? Did you see him give away his last fight, just so he could mean mug and flip Leon off? Yeah. I see why people love him.

Case in point.

He took a shit load of damage and nearly finished a top 3 welterweight. He fucked off too much and backed up more than any of his previous fights by a mile. Didn’t really look like a Nate Diaz fight to be honest. He looked good tho. Always game and almost won. Fairly confident if he would’ve came forward as usual he would’ve given Leon a lot more problems.

Honestly I was more underwhelmed by Leon than impressed by Nate, although it was a vintage Diaz showing in somehow squeezing a victory out of a loss.

nate can look terrible every time he is out there, but the fans will still back and root for him because people like him as a person. that's something the vast majority of fighters can't say. if a fighter doesn't perform, they're at risk of losing their fanbase. with nate, all he has to do is fight hard and not give up, and he's good. when nate started bleeding, that pumped the fans even more. and of course the ending was epic.
You nailed it.

Nate is impressive, he seems incoherent much of the time, has almost no wit, couldn’t care less about his fans, generally he’s a poor sport and will quickly fire away at an excuse for every loss. But win or lose his fights are always entertaining and he says what he thinks regardless of anyone around him, or who he works for. Which clearly casual UFC fans just adore. Finally he’s a UFC cash cow and the 2nd highest paid UFC fighter.

That’s impressive. I think he’s dumb but I got to admit maybe getting paid in the fight game is not as complicated as everyone seems to make it seem.

Back