International Were Liberals right about Walmart/ China?

monopsony
il_794xN.1515201301_2jyb.jpg

Wal-Mart is extremely American in it's practices. The issue is that there are a group of people who supported Wal-Mart's practices when they were flush and sitting high. And once they were exposed to risk, they've changed their perspective on what appropriate behavior is supposed to look like. The people who have always said "Buy American" aren't in that group, as noted in the OP it's the people who said "We don't want to regulate Walmart's behavior because it's anti-American," who are the issue.

This Covid situation has made a lot of the most austere, strict "bootstraps, no handouts, take personal responsibility, you should have planned for all contingencies, etc." proponents magically find a place in their heart for massive government intervention in the markets, an understanding that even working people might not have enough saved, unfettered capitalism can be damaging, etc.

It's the 180 degree turn by those people which is the most illuminating part of this crisis. Not the most important, just the most illuminating.

Is Walmart essentially an anti-American business? Were liberals right about this company? Will Covid-19 finally encourage Americans to buy more American products, or is the price of a product ultimately the deciding factor?

Remember, Walmart is the only business that actively encourages their employees to sign up for welfare programs that right-wingers hate. So does that make them anti-Murkan?

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

<Fedor23>

(DISCLAIMER: I am using the terms "liberals" and "conservatives" broadly here. and I know that this DOES NOT APPLY TO ALL CONSERVATIVES. I know many of you have long called out the shady practices of the company mentioned below and champion the rights of the proletariat)

So I've been going through many of the product ads on my FB and IG. (yea, I still have accounts with both, give me shit about it in another thread)

And I"m noticing a growing trend...I've noticed that often, many of the first questions posited regarding the products being advertised (besides the price) is "WAS IT MADE IN CHINA?!!?"

More and more I have been seeing this question posited, and people avowing ONLY TO BUY AMERICAN!.

This brings me to my question.

about a decade ago, (and on going now) there was a debate regarding the ethical practices of Walmart.

and somehow, this became a political partisan debate.

on one side, (mostly) Liberals were pointing out that many manufacturing jobs were being shipped over to China from America, (between 70-91 percent of products sold in Walmart are made in China) the low wages they pay their employees, and the fact that Walmart would enter many rural areas of America and pretty much drive out (with their low prices) smaller businesses, mom and pop stores etc. There were many calls of boycotting Walmart, there was even a documentary on this.

and on the other side, you had many right wingers/conservatives, especially the types that listened to Rush Limbaugh that would flout/dismiss these criticisms. And pretty much held the position of, "I can shop wherever I want. and I'll save money too."

ok finally, my question(s)...

Is Walmart essentially an anti-American business? Were liberals right about this company? Will Covid-19 finally encourage Americans to buy more American products, or is the price of a product ultimately the deciding factor?

Walmart is a pro-Walmart company and has never intended on working well with local communities until they pretty much take over.

They all buy from China. They have to at this point. That's why it's silly to scapegoat WMT. Even though imo they are a terrible country
Lol so since Walmart pretty much started the trend of selling Chinese junk we should just stop scapegoating them because it’s caused others to do the same to compete?
I blame the people who shop at Walmart.

Wal-Mart is extremely American in it's practices. The issue is that there are a group of people who supported Wal-Mart's practices when they were flush and sitting high. And once they were exposed to risk, they've changed their perspective on what appropriate behavior is supposed to look like. The people who have always said "Buy American" aren't in that group, as noted in the OP it's the people who said "We don't want to regulate Walmart's behavior because it's anti-American," who are the issue.

This Covid situation has made a lot of the most austere, strict "bootstraps, no handouts, take personal responsibility, you should have planned for all contingencies, etc." proponents magically find a place in their heart for massive government intervention in the markets, an understanding that even working people might not have enough saved, unfettered capitalism can be damaging, etc.

It's the 180 degree turn by those people which is the most illuminating part of this crisis. Not the most important, just the most illuminating.

Dont worry, they will 180 again once it's over.

Were Americans unable to enjoy their goods before the huge rise in Chinese/Bangladeshi/Vietnamese cheap labor and manufacturing?

I support local businesses when I can. I pay more. I sometimes shop at Wal-Mart, but hate it. Oh well.

I support local businesses when I can. I pay more. I sometimes shop at Wal-Mart, but hate it. Oh well.
Just the experience of it is soul crushing, never mind paying into the revenue stream of an irresponsible corporation

Last edited:
Never even heard of Shake Shack, yet they're big enough to return the 10mil they got, before thousands of small businesses I might add, rather
than take it.
Corporate responsibility or embarrassment?

Americans want cheap shit.
Americans workers want high wages to do labor.
American companies desire for high profit margins overrides "patriotism".

Those things don't jive.

Enter China. And here we are now.

Never even heard of Shake Shack, yet they're big enough to return the 10mil they got, before thousands of small businesses I might add, rather
than take it.
Corporate responsibility or embarrassment?

good PR

Back