International Were Liberals right about Walmart/ China?

Social Distance Warrior

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
(DISCLAIMER: I am using the terms "liberals" and "conservatives" broadly here. and I know that this DOES NOT APPLY TO ALL CONSERVATIVES. I know many of you have long called out the shady practices of the company mentioned below and champion the rights of the proletariat)

So I've been going through many of the product ads on my FB and IG. (yea, I still have accounts with both, give me shit about it in another thread)

And I"m noticing a growing trend...I've noticed that often, many of the first questions posited regarding the products being advertised (besides the price) is "WAS IT MADE IN CHINA?!!?"

More and more I have been seeing this question posited, and people avowing ONLY TO BUY AMERICAN!.

This brings me to my question.

about a decade ago, (and on going now) there was a debate regarding the ethical practices of Walmart.

and somehow, this became a political partisan debate.

on one side, (mostly) Liberals were pointing out that many manufacturing jobs were being shipped over to China from America, (between 70-91 percent of products sold in Walmart are made in China) the low wages they pay their employees, and the fact that Walmart would enter many rural areas of America and pretty much drive out (with their low prices) smaller businesses, mom and pop stores etc. There were many calls of boycotting Walmart, there was even a documentary on this.

and on the other side, you had many right wingers/conservatives, especially the types that listened to Rush Limbaugh that would flout/dismiss these criticisms. And pretty much held the position of, "I can shop wherever I want. and I'll save money too."

ok finally, my question(s)...

Is Walmart essentially an anti-American business? Were liberals right about this company? Will Covid-19 finally encourage Americans to buy more American products, or is the price of a product ultimately the deciding factor?

You should read the articles about the Dollar Stores affect on middle America in particular. Truly scary shit. But there is no turning back, corona or not, that's for Damn sure.

Company is fine
Government allowed the trade
Change the laws and the company will change

More or less yes. Non neoliberals yes. The protectionist left which exists more strongly in Europe, the anti austerity and real left. Yes they were opposed to this. There critics tended to be centrist neoliberals and neocons and other right wing capitalists. The only right wingers who agreed with the left were the Alt right, fascistic, paleoconservative, and nationalist right proponents of autarky whom in the Anglo sphere were a minority for the past decades.

Similarly with animal treatment, pollution, and favortism of people over business. These were more (in the west) since the 80s protectionist left talking points. Often mocked by many on the right as being sissy or sensative. Along with the right also being anti veganism or vegeteranism.

Last edited:
While mom and pop shops are shut down from selling local wares to support their community, walmart gets to fill the void with their made in china junk. Just dont forget to maintain your social distance!

For better or worse, WMT is one of the most typically American businesses.

Personally, I think one of the most important tenets of liberalism is that people respond to incentives on average. I don't think that consumer activism is likely to be effective or is even the desirable way to change things. If we want WMT to pay better, we should encourage unionization and maybe raise the MW.

But also, I think the project of trying to fight poverty by engineering market outcomes is fundamentally misguided. Poverty in the developed world is mostly related to the fact that income is distributed through markets, and about half the population doesn't participate in markets (mostly children, the elderly, and the disabled).

and on the other side, you had many right wingers/conservatives, especially the types that listened to Rush Limbaugh that would flout/dismiss these criticisms. And pretty much held the position of, "I can shop wherever I want. and I'll save money too."

And libertarians. Reminds me of the South Park episode where the infantile take away was supposed to be that it was the public, itself, that voluntarily gave Wally World its immense power.

I'm pretty sure WMT had little to do with companies setting up shop in China.

I have been in a Walmart maybe 3 times in my life. We are a Costco family. We never use AMZN either

Sure thing. Because corporations don't write government trade policy in the US. :rolleyes:

Why would Walmart care? They buy in bulk for a cheaper price. It does not matter where it's made. It's not like every other place is selling made in USA and Walmart is alone in the practice of selling Chinese made goods

Why would Walmart care? They buy in bulk for a cheaper price. It does not matter where it's made. It's not like every other place is selling made in USA and Walmart is alone in the practice of selling Chinese made goods

Yeah, bro, corporate lawyers are never in the room when trade deals are being drafted in Washington. They're just like, "You figure it out guys. We'll do our best to compete within whatever parameters you decide on. As long as we can buy in bulk it's all good." <Lmaoo>

Maybe your Amazon will eat your Walmart. But then what...

Yeah. The problem with Walmart is monopsony as much as imports.
Maybe they could break them up like Microsoft.
Oh...

I haven't looked into it much, but is there anything Walmart does that target and Amazon don't also do?

Yeah, bro, corporate lawyers are never in the room when trade deals are being drafted in Washington. They're just like, "You figure it out guys. We'll do our best to compete within whatever parameters you decide on. As long as we can buy in bulk it's all good." <Lmaoo>

You are being silly. Walmart does not care where the goods are made. Nor does Costco or Macy's or any seller. They all compete for the same goods.

It is the manufacturer's that would lobby for opening up China. Lower labor costs and higher profits

The only reason WMT would care about China is to open up warehouses there

Maybe your Amazon will eat your Walmart. But then what...

Yeah. The problem with Walmart is monopsony as much as imports.
Maybe they could break them up like Microsoft.
Oh...

Correct.

I hate walmart and always have. But anyone thinking Walmart is the cause of manufacturing moving to China is just misinformed

I haven't looked into it much, but is there anything Walmart does that target and Amazon don't also do?

They all buy from China. They have to at this point. That's why it's silly to scapegoat WMT. Even though imo they are a terrible country

Back