Were dragon sweeps the only strike allowed below the waist in american kickboxing?

pantheist

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I believe this technique was the only exception when it came to kicking below the waist in American kickboxing/fcr, was it not?

As you can imagine you rarely see this technique executed but hollywood loves to use it.I was surprised to see it being attempted at one of the Glory 23 superfights this past friday.

Ya that's really only effective in Mortal Kombat.

MK-5.PNG

i thought you needed a rex kwon do blackbelt to do that one

i get the feeling you only asked this to use the phrase "dragon sweep". It uses the most energy for the result of any kick stopping technique, and you can't even capitalise on it's effect (grounding opponent) in american kickboxing. ontop of that if you actually watch footage of real dragon sweeps being done, it seems to be like a 50/50 chance your opponent lands on you, half falls and recovers, etc, making it a very risky move for MMA also.

conclusion: should only be used by cardio machines and actual dragons.

Paul Felder attempted it from about 10 feet away in his most recent UFC fight, that was interesting to see.

I used to watch PKA back in the 80s.
I'm pretty sure the only kicks below the waist were sweeps, but I'm not sure if that's the technique that was used or not. Been a long time and I was young.

You need to be half asleep or half knocked to get dropped from that move.

Paul Felder attempted it from about 10 feet away in his most recent UFC fight, that was interesting to see.

How long does he think his fucking legs are? You gotta be close, and up against someone like me, that has no fucking clue what he's doing.

Last edited:
Perfect execution @ 00:50 mark, followed by brutal leg kicks. Master Rex had the defense for all of them though. Check game on point, counter game unparalleled.

that technique is not worth being used considering how much energy and risk it takes doing it, and the very limited chance of a good outcome.
Funnily enough I think someone through one of those in the early Glory superfight series last weekend. And as expected it didn't do anything..

Back