We're #2, We're #2 (US #9, suck it!)

Scotland?

Instant DQ. List has no legitimacy, seems like a Commonwealth suck-up poll.

Btw, just looked it up and Rough Guides is a British publisher. Just what you’d expect from a poll that equates degree of being swamped with pallid Brit tourists = degree of beautiful.

As a Canadian, I can't agree to this. The U.S., in its entirety, has such a range of climate zones and diversity of landscape it would be all but impossible for any other country to beat. Canada has a lot of beautiful, untamed temperate and arctic wilds, but you can find a bit of that in the U.S. too, along with a tremendous range of other things. There are lots of beautiful places in the world, and many countries are spectacular exhibits of a few types of scenery, but I doubt any other country in the world can measure up to the raw variety of beautiful scenery that the U.S. sports.

On top of that, a country the size of Canada being beaten out by a tiny little place like Scotland should throw up some red flags. Unless the list tremendously values density of scenic spots, a country like Scotland shouldn't hold a candle to a monstrous place like Canada, let alone a monstrous and diverse place like the U.S.

Last edited:
The most beautiful countries in the world – as voted by you
“In a close call for second place is Canada: home of lumberjacks, beavers and maple syrup (if you believe everything you read). Of course, there’s much more on offer in Canada, not least its mixture of raw beauty and majestic landscapes. The Yukon Territory is a place of great wilderness, while B.C. mountains draw skiers and snowboarders in their thousands.”

Revelstoke-Royce-Sihlis.jpeg

Revelstoke Mountain Resort, B.C. Photo by Royce Sihlis
Also citing the Instagram-appeal of Lake Louise, and the big city vibes of Toronto and Montreal, Rough Guides also grabs a quote from Vancouver-based @ToursByLocals on Twitter, who proclaim while there are “so many beautiful places in the world, but I’m still blown away by our hometown in B.C., Canada.”

Rough Guides Readers’ Choice for Most Beautiful Countries in the World 2019

• Scotland
    • Canada
    • New Zealand
    • Italy
    • South Africa
    • Indonesia
    • England
    • Iceland
    • United States
    • Wales
    • Slovenia
    • Mexico
    • India
    • Finland
    • Switzerland
    • Peru
    • Norway
    • Ireland
    • Croatia
    • Vietnam
----

<Moves>

Congrats to us!

images

A poll by the readers of a British travel magazine that has been published for slightly over a year is being taken seriously?

I think the test was biasesd
It’s prolly just that Canadians are so jarring and terrible that when people see how little Canadians there are they are like man that mountain s beautiful thank fuck there aren’t any syrup suckers in eye sight.

Lol at FOUR countries in the British Isles making the list.

Double lol at zero Caribbean or South Pacific countries.

The headline reminded me of one of the funniest Borat bits:

I mean the US has literally every type of environment/biome imaginable, in fact Cali alone has every single terrain feature in abundance (well maybe not Tundra in abundance, but we got it) so i'm automatically calling BS

The diversity of natural beauty in Canada and the US is hard to match.

As a Canadian, I can't agree to this. The U.S., in its entirety, has such a range of climate zones and diversity of landscape it would be all but impossible for any other country to beat. Canada has a lot of beautiful, untamed temperate and arctic wilds, but you can find a bit of that in the U.S. too, along with a tremendous range of other things. There are lots of beautiful places in the world, and many countries are spectacular exhibits of a few types of scenery, but I doubt any other country in the world can measure up to the raw variety of beautiful scenery that the U.S. sports.

On top of that, a country the size of Canada being beaten out by a tiny little place like Scotland should throw up some red flags. Unless the list tremendously values density of scenic spots, a country like Scotland shouldn't hold a candle to a monstrous place like Canada, let alone a monstrous and diverse place like the U.S.

Canada is no doubt beautiful , mostly in the unspoiled Northen woods way , but yeah like you say the variety just isn't there.

Back