Werdum was right to ask for more money.

I'm all for fighters getting paid more, but let's be realistic, Werdum isn't a draw so demanding that amount of money is straight up retarded and he's delusional if he thinks the UFC will give him that.

He should try and milk them as much as he can. What's wrong with that?

When he lost one fight, they backed out on their deal with him. Was that reasonable?

It was 100x more "reasonable" than what the UFC did to "HEALTHY" Arlovski after he beat Werdum. I mean get benched for a year during his three fight win streak just to attempt to "derail and underpay him" ultimatly before releasing him from the UFC.

I mean what a gauntlet to put a striker like Arlovski through? Anyone that question's Ped a Panos submission game is a fucking nutcase. A.A.'s Sambo proved enough to not only survive one of the most dangerous submission HW fighters, but to finish him on the ground! A freaking incredible showing. Since BJJ world champion Marcio Cruz was not able to derail Arlovski and force a massive pay cut, they had to find another submission artist to get the job done. The UFC sent Werdum to tap out A.A.

Arlovski proved to have superior TDD that did not allow Werdum to contest the fight on the ground, and was shutout 3 rounds to 0 in a UD! The UFC then sends undefeated Wrestling prospect Jake O'Brien to ride AA to a derailing loss. No such luck, he wins, and is not paid, and forced to leave the UFC. A.A. leaves the UFC to knockout Rothwell & Nelson (Yep!).

What is wrong for "milking" Dana and crew is in some cases it gets your ass FIRED!

People forget. Werdum was in line for a title shot in 2008. He was skipped over by Lesnar who was 1-1 in the UFC. He fought an unknown JDS, showed up out of shape and got KO'd.

THEN, the UFC told them they were going to CUT HIS MONEY. That because he lost he wasn't worth as much as they were paying him. The UFC backed out of their deal. Werdum said NO to the cut in pay and they released him from the promotion because he wasn't willing to take less money than the deal he signed.

Now 8 years later, when they want him to fight JDS on a week's notice, he asks for more money. The UFC says NO and Dana makes him out to be the bad guy and they paint a picture that he's scared. Fans turn on him.

These fighters should get as much money as they can from the UFC. Like in Werdum's case, once the UFC thinks you're not worth much to them, they'll kick you to the curb. But if you ask for your worth, they'll run this propaganda shit, that you're unreasonable, scared, you turn down fights, you're trying to milk them for money, etc. And sadly most fans will eat it up.

This is prizefighting. People fight for money. This is not a ego contest. I'll beat you up, I'm the best.

Fighters should look after their own interests.

Just a quick question are you sure they wanted to "renegotiate" his existing contract ?

Or his contract ended and then when he was about to sign a new one they presented the pay cut ?

Didn't that bald goof say: "I honor all my contract all the time" just last day in his "media scrum AKA let me tell you who's a naughty boy".

Just a quick question are you sure they wanted to "renegotiate" his existing contract ?

Or his contract ended and then when he was about to sign a new one they presented the pay cut ?

Didn't that bald goof say: "I honor all my contract all the time" just last day in his "media scrum AKA let me tell you who's a naughty boy".

They wanted to cut his pay in half from the contract he had, because he lost.
"I had four more fights left with them on my contract, which ran to 2010," Werdum told Tatame.com. "But they demanded to renegotiate my existing contract by cutting my pay in half."

The UFC terminated Werdum's promotional contract for losing on Oct. 25 at UFC 90: Silva vs. Cote to Junior Dos Santos.

"Nothing bad with Werdum," White said on the Nov. 13 edition of "MMA Live" on ESPN.com. "He got knocked out by a guy that wasn't ranked and that nobodies ever heard of. It was his first time in the UFC and Werdum got knocked out in the first round."

Even prior to the sell those words were worth nothing..
There have been numerous times were a fighter who fought on short notice , lost and it hurts his stocks, rankingwise and moneywise, and eventually lead to a lose streak/cut ...
So... no wonder almost no one wants to make them this favor, especially against a very dangerous opponent like JDS, without financial incentive
They shit all over Josh koscheck for being on a skid towards the end of his time there. Nevermind he would fill in at the last minute to save the cards. I get it that he isn't very likable but he was a company man and it didn't do him much good. It hasn't helped cerrone too much either aside from the paydays for frequently fighting.

It hasn't helped cerrone too much either aside from the paydays for frequently fighting.
Cerrone is a coward when it comes to these kinds of things.

He complained about his pay. Dana called him out on it. Then a week later he backtracked - I was just joking.
He joined that organization. Dana trashed him in public. He backtracked and wore UFC gear the whole of fight week to suck up to the UFC brass.

People forget. Werdum was in line for a title shot in 2008. He was skipped over by Lesnar who was 1-1 in the UFC. He fought an unknown JDS, showed up out of shape and got KO'd.

THEN, the UFC told them they were going to CUT HIS MONEY. That because he lost he wasn't worth as much as they were paying him. The UFC backed out of their deal. Werdum said NO to the cut in pay and they released him from the promotion because he wasn't willing to take less money than the deal he signed.

Now 8 years later, when they want him to fight JDS on a week's notice, he asks for more money. The UFC says NO and Dana makes him out to be the bad guy and they paint a picture that he's scared. Fans turn on him.

These fighters should get as much money as they can from the UFC. Like in Werdum's case, once the UFC thinks you're not worth much to them, they'll kick you to the curb. But if you ask for your worth, they'll run this propaganda shit, that you're unreasonable, scared, you turn down fights, you're trying to milk them for money, etc. And sadly most fans will eat it up.

This is prizefighting. People fight for money. This is not a ego contest. I'll beat you up, I'm the best.

Fighters should look after their own interests.

He was offered JDS and Overeem for UFC 208 not 207. He declined both fights because he feels entitled to a title shot even though hes on a 1 fight win streak, and is not a draw.

Beyond that his request was incredibly unreasonable, 500k + ppv points to fight/stay on 207. Yeah right... Nobody is buying 207 for werdum.

It was fine that he doesnt want to fight at 207, thats his choice, it would have been a really short notice opponent.

However, now hes just declining to fight everyone because he thinks he deserves the title shot.

Dana needs to make an example out of him, book someone else to fight for the next HW title, and bench Werdum for the next 6 months (which they can do because he turned down a fight which extends your contract)

He was offered JDS and Overeem for UFC 208 not 207. He declined both fights because he feels entitled to a title shot even though hes on a 1 fight win streak, and is not a draw.

Dana said that the Overeem fight was for 208. It was never said for what event the JDS fight was. It was implied it was for this one.

Beyond that his request was incredibly unreasonable, 500k + ppv points to fight/stay on 207. Yeah right... Nobody is buying 207 for werdum.
These are special cirucmstances. The normal contract doesn't apply. Why shouldn't he try to get more money out of them, when they have screwed him in the past.

Was it reasonable that they, the UFC cut him after he refused to have his pay cut in half?

If they were unreasonable to him, why should he be reasonable with them?

However, now hes just declining to fight everyone because he thinks he deserves the title shot.
He is ranked number 1 according to the UFC rankings. So, the UFC are saying he's the number one contender.
The guy will be 40 years old soon. Are you really going to blame him for going after and campaigning for a title fight? He's looking out for what's best for him. Not what you or other fans thinks is fair for him.

At the end of the day he's doing what he thinks is best for him and his family. He's trying to maximize his benefits. He's worked for years to get in this position and is trying to play it in a way that he'll get the most out of it. It's not like the UFC haven't screwed him in the past, so, why should he look after their interests when they have proven that the moment he loses a bit of his worth, they'll let him go.

Raise your hand if you've ever said it's the fighters fault for settling for low pay and are now criticizing Werdum.
Now use that hand to smack yourself.

What does one have to do with the other? He has a signed contract. Fight at what you and your team negotiated at.

When people critizice fighters, it's usually about them signing shit deals and then whining later.

What does one have to do with the other? He has a signed contract. Fight at what you and your team negotiated at.

When people critizice fighters, it's usually about them signing shit deals and then whining later.
If his contract was non negotiable regardless of the situation then you'd be correct. It's obvious not the case.

He put an unreasonable number out there so it wasn't a flat out duck, but we all see it for what it is

No pro fighter should accept a fight on short notice unless it's against a can or a title shot.

Imagine rondas reaction if Dana tried to replace Nunes with holm, lol

To be fair, the contracts (except the 'champion clause') should all have a stipulation that after a certain amount of time without fighting the contract terminates... and if they don't then people are idiots for signing them

Back