Werdum was right to ask for more money.

Namek

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
People forget. Werdum was in line for a title shot in 2008. He was skipped over by Lesnar who was 1-1 in the UFC. He fought an unknown JDS, showed up out of shape and got KO'd.

THEN, the UFC told them they were going to CUT HIS MONEY. That because he lost he wasn't worth as much as they were paying him. The UFC backed out of their deal. Werdum said NO to the cut in pay and they released him from the promotion because he wasn't willing to take less money than the deal he signed.

"I had four more fights left with them on my contract, which ran to 2010," Werdum told Tatame.com. "But they demanded to renegotiate my existing contract by cutting my pay in half."

The UFC terminated Werdum's promotional contract for losing on Oct. 25 at UFC 90: Silva vs. Cote to Junior Dos Santos.

Now 8 years later, when they want him to fight JDS on a week's notice, he asks for more money. The UFC says NO and Dana makes him out to be the bad guy and they paint a picture that he's scared. Fans turn on him.

These fighters should get as much money as they can from the UFC. Like in Werdum's case, once the UFC thinks you're not worth much to them, they'll kick you to the curb. But if you ask for your worth, they'll run this propaganda shit, that you're unreasonable, scared, you turn down fights, you're trying to milk them for money, etc. And sadly most fans will eat it up.

This is prizefighting. People fight for money. This is not a ego contest. I'll beat you up, I'm the best.

Fighters should look after their own interests.

Last edited:
Werdum has spoke out in the past against the lame UFC so I'm guessing any opponent of his will get a green light to juice up as WME bribes USADA.

yea, 800k and PPV point was really reasonable.

;>

yea, 800k and PPV point was really reasonable.

;>
He should try and milk them as much as he can. What's wrong with that?

When he lost one fight, they backed out on their deal with him. Was that reasonable?

And he failed.
Like he said. He's not starving. So, he's cool with that.

You have to try in these cases. You can't be a slave and just take whatever they give you. He had no obligation to fight anyone else on this card sans Cain. That's the contract he signed. If they want you to do something new, then a new contract is in order. You have to fight for your rights.

Unfortunately, the fight game is an ugly business. UFC or any promotion will use any leverage against you, so you should use the leverage against them when you have it. I.E. Connie Mac.

I agree but he overestimated his worth,he wasnt the main event he wasnt even the co main.He could probably have gotten away with it if he was the main event but he wasnt.

Does he still get his show money though?

I agree but he overestimated his worth,he wasnt the main event he wasnt even the co main.He could probably have gotten away with it if he was the main event but he wasnt.
It would be the Best fight on that Card.... It is hard to stay it was too much asked, he thought it was not, Dana did..

I really want to see this rematch.

It's funny because Werdum could go to Rizin or Bellator and easily make that kind of money if he wanted to. Dana should start paying the fighters what they are worth before they leave the UFC and then the UFC will have nothing.

Another poster said it best: all that good will, those "favors" the fighters did to the UFC by fighting on short notice, all those "don't worry, we'll take care of you in the future", all those "locker room bonuses" are worth nothing now with the change in ownership. Conor was right, eveyone else was wrong: Pay me now or I won't show.

Werdum obviously overplayed his hand, and PPV is excessive but why shouldn't he ask for 800k. After all Overeem recieved that in the Miocic fight, Henderson got paid that for the Bisping fight. Five fights scheduled against Cain and fight only occured once, how much money has Werdum losts in camps, Dana even mentioned in the media scrum that Hendo deserved what he got payed due to his achievements in the sport

Has Werdum not had incredible achievements in MMA as well, unfortunately I see this playing out pretty regularly this year, as when rankings mean nothing, and pretty much only title holders make big payouts, anyone on verge of title shot will play it safe( a la Woodly)

Yeah, this is the same as the shit Dana is talking about Tony Ferguson.

Dana said Tony signed a contract so he should fulfill it, coz he has to fulfill his bad deals.

Difference is he ufc can basically cut anyone off a loss so it's not like these contracts are like for like, they are heavily weighted in the UFC's favor.

Can´t blame a guy trying to get more money. All the power to him.

This is what they get for giving Conor anything he wants.
Lmfao
And the Rotund one.....they are giving both Conor and "Rotund Ronda" any damn thing they want.....it will cost the UFC down the road....wait and see....

Dana is in full clamp down mode, Conor and now Ronda have changed the rules, and suddenly everybody is squeezing the UFC for a better deal.

As huge as Conor has been for the UFC's profit margin, I sometimes wonder if the UFC wish he never exploded like he did, Conor has highlighted in the fighters minds that the UFC should be their promotional partners, not their rulers.

Back