Werdum talks about retirement after rematch with Velasquez and Fedor

orlandod

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Combate

werdum1.jpg

"I liked the fact that it's going to be a rematch against Velasquez. I respect him a lot, not only him, but Fedor Emelianenko too, because they never talk trash about anybody, like many other fighters out there. Cain and Fedor are guys I would give a rematch with all my respect, because I always admired them both. Do you remember when I tolk I would face him in an immediate remath? Rafael Cordeiro also said that a long time ago. He said 'Werdum, we're gonna fight against Cain and the rematch is gonna be in Las Vegas'. But then after my tour in Brazil, I would love for it to happen at Porto Alegre. I'm pretty sure that, after seen the love people from Brazil have towards us, I would put 50.000 people in a stadium in Porto Alegre to see this fight"

On the rematch and retirement:
"We still don't know where or when it's happening, but I'm gonna have a talk with Dana and Lorenzo next week to figure it all out. The most important is that I respect Cain and Fedor. When I won against Fedor, I told I would give him an immediate rematch right there, one hour after the fight. I also told Cain the same, and I said it because I respect them and because they respect other fighters as well. Fedor and Velasquez show they rivalry only inside the cage. They do a lot of talking, but not with their mouths to promote the fight, they talk into the octagon and that's why I respect them. Of course I'll be 100% ready to win one more time. I'll give my best to come out victorious and, who knows, maybe after those two rematches I'll become an analyst"

Can't really take what this guy says seriously, he's a joke maker. I dont think he would retire so soon.

Werdum is bored. Maybe Cain can bring his A game next time.

Can't really take what this guy says seriously, he's a joke maker. I dont think he would retire so soon.

I take him seriously. He jokes around but he's extremely intelligent and definitely has his finances in order.

Werdum is a smart guy, he knows his physical skills are only going downhill from now on. I believe he won't have many fights before retirement. And I hope he does that as a champ.

Werdum is bored. Maybe Cain can bring his A game next time.

Werdum's striking seems to have improved since this vid in 2011...wonder how Wand would do against Cain in a straight standup fight (not at sea level haha):

would have to see him retire so soon, but he's no spring chicken.

Several active fighters are also analysts, where does he mention retirement?

I'd like to see him try to avenge his loss to JDS before he retires.

sigh...

TS, you are leaving out the fact that he said it jokingly. It says very clearly in the interview that he said that while laughing, aka most likely just fooling around as always.

maybe you could include that in your translation, because the title is deceiving IMO.

Werdum's striking seems to have improved since this vid in 2011...wonder how Wand would do against Cain in a straight standup fight (not at sea level haha):

would have to see him retire so soon, but he's no spring chicken.

That's some hard sparring, Werdoom was close to being knocked out.

It really shows how much he improved in the last few years, Cordeiro is an amazing coach.

good for the dude! he's gonna be close to 40 after 2 more fights so yeah, hope he wins these last few fights and go down as one the greatest if not the best.

I remember seeing an interview where he said if he beat Velasquez in Mexico he would retire on top with the belt.

So if he really is hinting it, I'm sure its a joke.

hinting to people every like 6 months or so that you're considering retirement while champiom will sell more IMo

Why? He's 38, he'd be 39 or 40 by then. Pretty reasonable time to retire.

Back