Werdum had a point when he said Cain isn't really Mexican.

i mean yeah, america does have a dark past. but america has come a long way, and things are improving for people who at one time would have been discriminated. i'm the same as cain. was born and raised in the u.s., have parents from mexico. but in no way do i consider myself a mexican. and honestly, i have never felt discriminated in my entire life. this is a very welcoming country, so long as you place your allegiance to this country, learn the language, and are a productive member of society. it's annoying when people begin making excuses for their current dilemmas with things that occurred in the past. the victim-mentality that is prevalent with so many folks today does no one any good.
maybe you are white looking or live in a chicano majority area. I'm light complected and I know it matters. especially living on the east coast.

I live in America and was born here , but i dont consider myself American perse because im neither a Native American or an Anglo Saxon. The term 'American' does not really denote a race or ethnicity . but the terms 'Mexican' or say 'Japanese' kinda do.

Mexico is actually a melting pot too. The various Native groups their like the "Maya" and "Aztec" were physically distinct. Fullblooded Mayas still exists today in the millions. Aztec people are much rarer. There's several other distinct Native Central America groups. Most Mexicans are a mix between some Native Mexican and Spaniard/European.

the way an, "american" looks is ever-changing. at one point, it was mainly folks of english descent. then came the african slaves. and then came the germans. and then along came other european folks, etc. add in asian people and hispanic people, and americans can look like anyone. it's amazing to me that people are still stuck on an american solely being pasty white with blonde hair or something. i mean people need to moved beyond that outdated stereotype.

Obviously an American due to his place of birth, education, job, etc. But his ancestors were probably Spanish and Central American going way back.

You can't wash away his ethnic background just because his mother ejected him when she was on American soil.

Some of you are being ridiculous

looking a certain way does not necessarily mean that you have some kind of eternal bondage with the land where folks look that way. many black americans have zero connection to the african continent. i bet they feel more american than they do african. where you grow up is a lot more important, in my opinion. the problem that i see, is that people love to place labels and pigeonhole others in categories, so it's easier for them to make a judgement about you.

the way an, "american" looks is ever-changing. at one point, it was mainly folks of english descent. then came the african slaves. and then came the germans. and then along came other european folks, etc. add in asian people and hispanic people, and americans can look like anyone. it's amazing to me that people are still stuck on an american solely being pasty white with blonde hair or something. i mean people need to moved beyond that outdated stereotype.
Which is why im glad to not consider myself 'American'. Dont want to confuse anyone that im with any of those groups.

maybe you are white looking or live in a chicano majority area. I'm light complected and I know it matters. especially living on the east coast.

yes, i am lighter-skinned. but it's not hard to change someone's perception of you. have a simple five-minute conversation with someone, and guaranteed that they will judge you more on how you speak and conduct yourself than they will the way you look. i don't blame people for having preconceived notions of people. stereotypes exist for a reason. but plenty of people contradict stereotypes by not fitting with it.

Which is why im glad to not consider myself 'American'

you don't like considering yourself an american because you can be associated with others who don't look like you? kind of a strange way of looking at things, but okay.

yes, i am lighter-skinned. but it's not hard to change someone's perception of you. have a simple five-minute conversation with someone, and guaranteed that they will judge you more on how you speak and conduct yourself than they will the way you look. i don't blame people for having preconceived notions of people. stereotypes exist for a reason. but plenty of people contradict stereotypes by not fitting with it.
Maybe as an adult, but during your formative years the racism kids learn from there parents is in full effect. Also i think most americans dont consider mexican americans as been as american as them or equivalent to mexican nationals. We have a president who called into question a judges honor because he is of mexican background and called him " a Mexican." People didnt seem to mind that.

looking a certain way does not necessarily mean that you have some kind of eternal bondage with the land where folks look that way. many black americans have zero connection to the african continent. i bet they feel more american than they do african. where you grow up is a lot more important, in my opinion. the problem that i see, is that people love to place labels and pigeonhole others in categories, so it's easier for them to make a judgement about you.
I think most African americans see themselves as black, first and foremost, which they consider equivalent to being african.

Maybe as an adult, but during your formative years the racism kids learn from there parents is in full effect. Also i think most americans dont consider mexican americans as been as american as them or equivalent to mexican nationals. We have a president who called into question a judges honor because he is of mexican background and called him " a Mexican." People didnt seem to mind that.

that could be true for some. all i can do is tell you my experience.

I think most African americans see themselves as black, first and foremost, which they consider equivalent to being african.

i think that has more to do with the way they look. that's why i keep saying that the way you look isn't the determining factor of where you will fit in. to me, it has a lot more to do with how you are as a person. but of course, looks play a part. i just don't think it's as important nowadays.

i think that has more to do with the way they look. that's why i keep saying that the way you look isn't the determining factor of where you will fit in. to me, it has a lot more to do with how you are as a person. but of course, looks play a part. i just don't think it's as important nowadays.
yeah i mean i only know how I've had it as a white looking mexican, which wasnt good. I mentor a little kid who's a dark mexican and he says kids pick on him all the time because of it. You gotta keep in mind cain's like 30 years old. He wasnt born yesterday.

you don't like considering yourself an american because you can be associated with others who don't look like you? kind of a strange way of looking at things, but okay.

I dont mind being associated with the term American really. I just dont want to put on a charade to everyone like im part of something i know deep down that im not.

yeah i mean i only know how I've had it as a white looking mexican, which wasnt good. I mentor a little kid who's a dark mexican and he says kids pick on him all the time because of it. You gotta keep in mind cain's like 30 years old. He wasnt born yesterday.

yes. kids will be kids. i was talking about adults. if you're still being picked on that way into adulthood from other adults, then yeah, that is something entirely different.

However, it's funny when he holds the Mexican flag to walk out. His American. He can't wrestle for Mexico. This land gave him everything. His American.
Makes me legit wonder if he has dual citizenship.

Cains mexican american simple as that, people complaining.about someone holding a flag a of his family's country are reaching.
An invisible peice of line is seperating someone from.being mexican or american.
If black guy was born in japan his ethnicity wouldn't be asian.

Cain velasquez is mexican and he's american.
Is his nationality mexican? No good fucking job here's a gold star, doods still a big ass mexican.
Same people who claim hes not mexican would call their mexican friends, beaners or wetbacks.

real mexicans who live in mexico don't consider cain to be mexican. your perspective is based solely on looks. it's also the perspective of folks who think that americans can only be white or black. hopefully, this perspective changes with time.

Since when do you speak on my behalf? I'm Mexican, I was born in Mexico, I live in Mexico, and I'm fine with Cain embracing his Mexican heritage. Problem?

Since when do you speak on my behalf? I'm Mexican, I was born in Mexico, I live in Mexico, and I'm fine with Cain embracing his Mexican heritage. Problem?

i think you're in the minority. lots of mexicans see, "mexican-americans" as traitors. many mexicans still have anger about the mexican-american war. i know that i sure as hell was never perceived as a mexican when i was there. and again, it goes back to how you speak and how you conduct yourself as a person. i look like many mexicans, but once i speak, they instantly see me as not one of them. as they should, because i'm not one of them.

WOW, LOL....... no wonder why this debates come up. "Mexican" is not an ethnic group it's a nationality

Wrong. It's both a Nationality and an Ethnicity.

Definition of Ethnicity per Dictionary.com:
an ethnic group; a social group that shares a common and distinctive culture, religion, language, or the like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back