Werdum had a point when he said Cain isn't really Mexican.

America is a little different since its such a diverse melting pot.. people celebrate their families heritage of where they came from before arriving here, as well as celebrating being American.

Cains Mexican. His ethnicity is Mexican. His nationality is American

Cain is Mexican-American.
Werdum was just saying that to get under his skin. Werdum even went on to say he's more Mexican that Cain which I ask, how?

People play into nationalism too much. Who the fuck cares. It's not like it really matters. People are also selective in their nationalism. You're going to chant USA for entire card but once someone like McGregor comes on, you're chanting that "Ole" bullshit. I know plenty of people who act as if they're Irish when in all actuality, they're not even 1%. Nationalism is just a tool to separate people from other people and it's quite pathetic.
this.

Mexican lineage but he is an american.

I'm sure when he hands over a passport or fills out a document that requires a nationality -- it doesn't say / he doesn't put "Mexico / Mexican"

It doesn't say American either... Nationality is lineage/heritage. The word you're looking for is "citizenship" in which case he has both American and Mexican citizenship, since one or both his parents were born in Mexico.

I'm partially Irish but don't claim to be. Throw a bottle of Jameson in front of me and my views/opinions/actions change dramatically.

It doesn't say American either... Nationality is lineage/heritage. The word you're looking for is "citizenship" in which case he has both American and Mexican citizenship, since one or both his parents were born in Mexico.

the primary definition of nationality is citizenship. If he does have dual citizenship then yes, he could claim mexican

"Oooooh Dat Ol honky Verdoom I'll show him Fa sho!" ~ Skip & Fetch

the primary definition of nationality is citizenship. If he does have dual citizenship then yes, he could claim mexican

Which he does, since both his parents were born in Mexico, per the jus soli and jus sanguinis.

I hate this topic.
Cain is a Mexican. You know if you had to describe the guy that would be one of the first things you say.

real mexicans who live in mexico don't consider cain to be mexican. your perspective is based solely on looks. it's also the perspective of folks who think that americans can only be white or black. hopefully, this perspective changes with time.

It's a common for us Americans to claim nationalities of parts of the world even though we're not physically from there. And it pretty much pisses everybody else in the world off. Many of us are guilty of this. Is Cain just butt hurt about somebody actually finally breaking this to him?

I was like this as well, full of Irish pride, until I actually went to Ireland and they quickly broke it to me,"you're not Irish".

I don't see the big deal in being proud of your heritage. I'm a mut with French, Norwegian, and Irish blood. While I consider myself and American as I am the 5th generation off the boat, but my Grandma from Norway, there is nothing wrong identifying and knowing about where your heritage lies.

I think part of the reason the Irish getting irritated with Irish Americans is because they are so out numbered. The Irish-American population is seven times larger than Ireland. According to the Census, there are 34.5 million Americans who list their heritage as either primarily or partially Irish. That number is, incidentally, seven times larger than the population of Ireland itself (4.68 million). Irish is the second-most common ancestry among Americans, falling just behind German.

Which he does, since both his parents were born in Mexico, per the jus soli and jus sanguinis.

Thats fine -- if that is true that is legit.

But your opening rebuttal stated that nationality primarily = lineage. Which is false. It primarily is defined as nation of origin or naturalization

real mexicans who live in mexico don't consider cain to be mexican. your perspective is based solely on looks. it's also the perspective of folks who think that americans can only be white or black. hopefully, this perspective changes with time.
im sure the natives in chiapas think the mexicans in mexico are not real mexicans either....

Being born somewhere doesn't make that your ethnicity tho.

Barack Obama being born in Hawaii doesn't make him Hawaiian.

Brian Stann being born in Japan doesn't make him Japanese.

im sure the natives in chiapas think the mexicans in mexico are not real mexicans either....

i don't agree. i see what you mean, though. of course the more, "indian" mexicans consider themselves to be different than the more spanish-blooded mexicans, but they all fall under the, "mexican" umbrella. cain wasn't even born in mexico, and never lived there. his only connection to the country is having ancestry there. to me, there is a huge difference between being born and raised in a country, and in having ancestry in a country.

Since when does werdum decides where the fuck a fighter is from?

In My case I was born in the states, my dad was from England and my mom from Mexico and I fucking love every one of my heritages. in fact I can claim any of the 3 Or all of them at the same time if I want to.
i hope werdum doesn't read my post and stars giving me shit for being ame-xica-glish.

Where do you have citizenship?

Back