Werdum easily beats Cain again, why don't people learn?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by itsok, Aug 14, 2015.

1. itsok

itsok Orange Belt

All these people claiming that Cain will beat Werdum in the rematch, what are you on about?? Have you not watched many of the similar rematches in mma history? Of course Cain has a chance, but based on how the first fight looked, Werdums/Cains improvement rate and what history tells us, Werdum is very likely to win.

Barao vs TJ 1/2
    No one expected TJ to win first fight, but he did convincingly. Second fight people were still making excuses why Barao wasn't good in the first fight, he got caught early and couldn't recover and this and that. Second fight was an even easier win for TJ.

Cain vd JDS 2/3
    It's fair to say Cain got cough in the first fight. Of course a valid JDS win, but it was so short that it didn't say much about the competitiveness of these two. Second fight Cain kicked JDS ass big time for a full fight and won a decision. How did the second fight go? Even worse for JDS.

BJ vs GSP 1/2
    GSP won the first fight by decision, close but decisive win. Second fight was a beatdown of the sort that BJs corner threw in the towel.

Not as obvious, but still proving my point...

Machida vs Shogun 1/2
    Most of us agree that Shogun handily won the first fight, despite what the judges said. Second fight it didn't take long for shogun to (again) show he had Machidas number.

You might argue that there are some exceptions to this, like GSP vs Serra or GSP vs Hughes. The first is a case of GSP getting cought and the second is a case of their careers were going in opposite directions at the time. Hughes declining and GSP improving between the fights. None of this can be said fr Cain vs Werdum.

2. AJ Garcia

AJ Garcia Level 10 Keyboard warrior Professional Fighter

The rematch is happening. Get over it already.,

3. Lord Fauntleroy

Lord Fauntleroy Orange Belt

It's simple, Werdum is the more complete fighter.

4. itsok

itsok Orange Belt

I'm not complaining about the rematch happening (although some valid complaining could be done on that topic). I'm arguing people don't tend to look at facts when they predict fights.

5. rakeleaves

rakeleaves Brown Belt

Also Weidman vs Silva 1&2. You do have a point though.

How many rematches have we seen that were marketed on the basis that the rematch would be different because of *insert excuse here*. It seems like most of the time the rematch goes the way of the first victor.

6. ChickenNugget

ChickenNugget ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

The only thing I'm curious about is whether the "i gassed because of the elevation" business is legit or not. The rematch will show ...

7. Bet Me

Bet Me Guest

1. Georges greased against Penn
    2. Werdum will smash Cain standing, in the clinch and on the ground again.
    3. None of the examples you listed are good examples when comparing Cain/Werdum

8. itsok

itsok Orange Belt

Thanks, forgot about that one :) Weird fights though.

9. Bagatur

Bagatur Red Belt

but but the altitude... the ring rust... the pressure of fighting in his so-called home country... why dont you consider these scientific facts???

10. Rittsy

Rittsy Red Belt

I'm curious about this fight. I think Werdum wins but I wonder if Cain just wasn't taking him seriously, the altitude got to him or Werdum is just better.

It's not a bad fight...but if Cain gets injured they had better just give the shot to someone else and make Cain 'earn' the rematch.

11. itsok

itsok Orange Belt

1) Oh god, just stop it. Even if he did (more than other fighters) it does not explain the incredible beating BJ got.
    2) Agree, based on the facts at hand it's difficult to claim anything else. Kind of my point in this thread.
    3) Your claim that they are not good examples when comparing cain/werdum is worth nothing unless you explain why that is the case. Of course every fight is different, you will never get the exact same condition before two different fights. But with that argument you would never be able to tell anything at all from historic events which would be a rather dumb claim.

12. Bet Me

Bet Me Guest

1. Dana called Georges and his corner out for cheating, there's video of this and video of grease being applied to him through out the rounds. Check out Sexyama vs Sakuraba sometime.
    2. Werdum is a better overall fighter than Cain, plain and simple. Stipe used the same game plan against JDS and found similar success but still lost.

13. mikenason

mikenason TOUGH GUY

Werdum is still training at high altitude. Cain just doesn't have what it takes to beat him. Even if Cain fights and has his cardio, Werdum's cardio will just be THAT MUCH BETTER.

14. HelloJapan

HelloJapan Talking loud and saying nothing. Platinum Member

15. moreorless87

moreorless87 Disarming Posting

I think Cain has a chance but its most likely in getting a quick KO, if the match goes past the first two rounds his chances of victory drop off significantly.

That's not even based on his cardio being "bad" its based on his style, he can't take breaks in the clinch or on the ground as much vs Werdum and standing he depends on throwing bombs where as Werdum can pick away with superior jabs.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  16. ShinkanPo

ShinkanPo still love sick

Yeah its not like Werdum is getting tag around until Cain gassed, Werdum controlled the clinch game with the thai plum and threatened with JudoDojo trips once pressed against the cage he even took cain down after Cain threw a Knee.

He bassically shut down Cains offense and Cain just became a Robot punching bag.

17. servel20

servel20 Brown Belt

This whole thread is what proves "you're only as good as your last fight".

You all were claiming JDS was gonna KO Cain again, what happened?

Cain has so many tools to beat Werdum, let's hope he can regain his wits.

18. xupacabra

xupacabra Brown Belt

purpose of rematches is to give you crybabies something to bitch about..

19. Givvee

Givvee Purple Belt

Werdum is better on the ground, thats it, he panics everytime he gets pressured on the feet, he closes his eyes in the exchanges, Cain is going to wreck him this time, if he is close to 90 %.

20. ShinkanPo

ShinkanPo still love sick

He will use that Thai Plum again when getting pressured on the feet unless Cain changes his game plan I don't see him wearing out Werdum with that style of fighting.