Werdum about asking more money

KSchwarz

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
http://esporte.uol.com.br/ultimas-n...m-discutem-publicamente-sobre-luta-negada.htm

"What I asked, 800k plus PPV, it's true, of course. Because I'm changing strategies and fighting in a week notice. I asked for it. But I didn't hear about Alistair at UFC Brooklyn. Only if he spoke with Ali and he didn't pass it to me. The fight against JDS… I wasn't given any assurance that I would fight for the belt. So, me and my team thought it wasn't what we agreed. I didn't sign up for it. If you wanna laugh, you gotta make people laugh too (Brazilian saying)."

"He can say whatever he wants, he's the president of the event. Everybody's going to believe what he says. It's an obvious thing. I don't have to accept the fight. That's why I asked a little more money. I signed the contract to fight Velasquez. How are they changing the fight in the last week and I have to accept it? It doesn't work this way, I'm not starving."

Later he posted on Instagram a screenshot of what he told dana.

Werdum has a price because all of the things he has done in the sport but asking 800k + PPV points is ridiculous

Why should he fight a new opponent for the same money?

I fully support him. The reward has to be proportional to the risk, and JDS is a dangerous fight with a full camp, and even more so on short notice.

The UFC opened the purse strings for Conor, and the other fighters are paying attention. I realize that Werdum is not the draw that Conor is, but he is asking for 800k, not 20 millions.

I'm totally okay with Werdum asking Anderson Silva money in this situation. But he contradicted himself after saying before that JDS wasn't offered to him.

And it's odd to come with the "I'm not starving" talk and then trying to haggle 500k. If you're gonna man up, do it all the way.

The ufc is going to end up going under because of Conor Mcgregor paying one fighter like they paid him is biting them in the ass in multiple ways.

Why should he fight a new opponent for the same money?

I fully support him. The reward has to be proportional to the risk, and JDS is a dangerous fight with a full camp, and even more so on short notice.

The UFC opened the purse strings for Conor, and the other fighters are paying attention. I realize that Werdum is not the draw that Conor is, but he is asking for 800k, not 20 millions.

how much is he going to get paid if he isn't fighting at all ??

In the long run, better to wait 3 months and win a fight, rather than lose one on short notice.

A low record lowers his value as a fighter. If he's risking his record, he should be paid accordingly.

Last edited:
Did you hear him? "I'm not starving."

Now it's paid shows, promoters post up bills
Sign deals only if the math is real
If we can't match numbers then you can't have the Head Ni$$a In Charge
And sh!t, ....

I'm not a lawyer nor do i have any understanding of how things work in the UFC about the fight money, but IMO this whole negotiating the price over a text message is beyond ridiculous.

Do their contracts not foresee the fight money, and additional money (or a pay cut) in case things don't go as planned (eg. fight cancelled due to PEDs, injury, replacement of fighters etc etc)?

Werdum has a price because all of the things he has done in the sport but asking 800k + PPV points is ridiculous
Ufc sold for 4.2 billion recently. A former champ asking for 1 mil to fight a new opponent on short notice to keep a card decent is not ridiculous. Id rather watch werdum vs jds than ronda or cody, but maybe thats just me.

Maybe everybody else is into wmma and manlets these days....

Didnt james toney get paid 500k for his fight back in the day...?

This is exactly why the UFC didn't like to disclose pay, to hurt other fighters negotiations. Gravy train coming to a halt.

I'm not a lawyer nor do i have any understanding of how things work in the UFC about the fight money, but IMO this whole negotiating the price over a text message is beyond ridiculous.

Do their contracts not foresee the fight money, and additional money (or a pay cut) in case things don't go as planned (eg. fight cancelled due to PEDs, injury, replacement of fighters etc etc)?
Think about it this way, lets say mark hunt had signed a 100k / 100k 4 fight contract 2 fights ago. How much do u think UFC would have to pay him to accept a rematch against brock lesnar right now? How could that price have possibly be built into the original contract? It would be impossible without a crystal ball

The ufc is going to end up going under because of Conor Mcgregor paying one fighter like they paid him is biting them in the ass in multiple ways.
The most idiotic post i have read so far on this forum

I'm totally okay with Werdum asking Anderson Silva money in this situation. But he contradicted himself after saying before that JDS wasn't offered to him.

And it's odd to come with the "I'm not starving" talk and then trying to haggle 500k. If you're gonna man up, do it all the way.

Everyone wants that Anderson Silva Money playboy. Shit at least give the man Dan Henderson money.

A low record lowers his value as a fighter. If he's risking his record, he should be paid accordingly.
not just his record but his health.

I think this is reasonable. Overeem gets paid 300K + 300K. Werdum is a former UFC Champion, asking 800K for a short notice fight, which if he loses will likely knock him off title contention for good at almost 40 years old, is not that unreasonable. There were rumors that they paid Anderson Silva 2 mil for stepping up at UFC 200.

At the end of the day, these guys have to look after their own interests. Especially when you're almost 40 and with only a few fights left.

Back