Went to a chiropractor today...

Go to a doctor for a proper diagnosis.

Go to a physiotherapist for a long term solution.

Go to a chiropractor for a short term relief.

Go to the bank to check your balance though...

Oh, shut up, and go to the gym.

Chiropractors are only a cure for fools with too much money.
Speaking of gym, there's actually a Chiropractor's office in my gym oddly enough. Supposedly membership at the gym offers you one free evaluation. I never used said check up, and I feel as though it would be akin to visiting a Mr. Tire, where they always manage to find something wrong.

In the 100+ years since chiropractors have been around, there has yet to be any evidence that they do anything other than make your wallet lighter. Many systemic reviews have not found any evidence of efficacy, except for some possible temporary back pain relief, which pretty much everything helps.

Not exactly...if someone is manipulating your spine then something is being done. Osteopathic physicians will at times use the exact same manipulation techniques that a chiropractor would use and it's not just temporary back pain relief. The real scoop is that chiropractors are like the wild west and if you walk into some place where you have some homeopathic asshole who wants to start cracking you to get the toxins out then run for the hills.

If you have an issue that can be treated by manipulation then going to a good sensible chiropractor who focuses on the musculoskeletal system can actually work....it's not witchcraft. The issue is their are a lot of idiots in the field that will try and get you into some long term preventive program to treat subluxations and other chiro terms. If their focus if on just trying to get your spine aligned a certain way and nothing else then watch out.

I dunno what to say. I had a problem with my hip that was causing me a lot of discomfort walking, and a bjj instructor had me stretch and did some kind of adjustment. It worked immediately, and it wasn't placebo, it was mechanical, I could move differently. No clue what my problem was or what he did. It may as well have been Miyagi shit, for all I know. I'm still not convinced that chiropractic medicine is even a thing.

all i can say is that after an adjustment, it feels like the weight of the world is off my shoulders.

I am going to a chiropractor thus afternoon and they have really helped before.

I sometimes go to a physio who also manipulates. Really depends on what musculoskeletal issue you have.

It seems that in the US though that chiropractors treat issues beyond simply spinal adjustment. Hence maybe why they have a rep as quacks.

No such thing as quackery. Even thinking something can benefit you can benefit you.

Unless they fuck up your back. It’s largely quackery. Just think about what it takes to become basically what amounts to a back doctor. Why does this one part of the body somehow not require a medical degree? I’m sure they can tell you some things, like how to stretch, that will be helpful. But so could a doctor. Why would you take the chance of them fucking you up when you could get better treatment and accountability from a doctor?

And believe me, I have no love for doctors. Their methods are somewhat lacking when it comes to drawing conclusions about the effectiveness of treatments. It still, they have a ton of real medical knowledge. They went to school for many years to learn it. Some states don’t even require chiropractors to have graduated college.

Unless they fuck up your back. It’s largely quackery. Just think about what it takes to become basically what amounts to a back doctor. Why does this one part of the body somehow not require a medical degree? I’m sure they can tell you some things, like how to stretch, that will be helpful. But so could a doctor. Why would you take the chance of them fucking you up when you could get better treatment and accountability from a doctor?

And believe me, I have no love for doctors. Their methods are somewhat lacking when it comes to drawing conclusions about the effectiveness of treatments. It still, they have a ton of real medical knowledge. They went to school for many years to learn it. Some states don’t even require chiropractors to have graduated college.
Username checks out re: Chiropractor credibility

I have only had one experience with a chiropractor. I hurt my back lifting and I was convinced something was wrong. Somebody recommended me to go to his chiro, and at worst case, the chiro would have me go to the doctor if he suspected something was seriously wrong. He is feeling around and basically says I have a strain, and starts putting me in these positions that hurt like hell. I tell him to stop, so then he puts me in this machine that basically massages it. That was the end, but he said he could "do a lot more work" on it over the next few days and that I'd be ok in about 2 weeks.

I go to the doctor the next day. He does confirm it's a strain, but puts me on steroids and a non-narcotic muscle relaxer. He gives me a few stretches to do, but says I will start feeling better in a couple days and should be fully better in a week. I told him about the chiropractor and he just busted out laughing. He said "you'd be fine in two weeks without doing anything!". So basically, this chiropractor would just wrangle thousands out of someone over two weeks without really speeding up the healing process. I was fully better in about 5 days on the steroids.

The chiropractors that have other skill sets are good. I saw one that did other things like cranialsacral therapy among other things.

As someone who has been to chiropractors over the past 25 plus years, I'd recommend going to an osteopath over strictly a chiropractor only skill set. Osteopathy treats your body as an entire unit looking for the root cause of your issues, rather than treating the symptoms like so many treatments.

Back