Went to a chiropractor today...

...for the first time at 40.

Is the profession legit or quackery of the highest order?

What say you?
I’ve had some really good ones and some quacks that told me they can cure cancer. If one tells you all you need is chiro then walk out the door.

The good ones acted as a PT and helped with joint and muscle pain. My guy does a wonderful job and I love being adjusted. I just feel better afterward. It doesn’t hurt that he is a 3 stripe Jiu Jitsu black belt. He understands what I’m talking about when I come in complaining of joint pain. He also has a medical Dr come in once a week and a nurse practitioner who is there three times a week. So if you have an infection they can treat you there.

I went for the first time somewhat recently too because I wanted to see what an adjust was like. It was pretty disappointed. It didn't feel all that great and I really didn't feel any different after.

I used to be able to crack my neck though and after that, I haven't been able to. I guess that's good?

I worked at a gas station across the street from a chiropractor's office while in high school. Every Friday night, three elderly people would walk in and 20 minutes later they would take one lady to the car in a wheelchair.

I've heard horror stories of permanent damage from chiropractors but that didn't stop me from going. Those neck and back cracking adjustments are addictive.

I've also had a ring dinger done by some Chinese therapist exactly like this with another dude sitting on my legs.

That sudden relief of pressure in the neck is ORGASMIC!

...for the first time at 40.

Is the profession legit or quackery of the highest order?

What say you?

It's definitely legit at relieving tightness and pressure in the spine and surrounding muscles, if you have the right guy do it. As for healing and curing all your ailments..... I'm highly skeptical.

I guess it depends on who the chiropractor is. I went to see one for a few sessions and he didn't help me at all. He would barely touch me. I was expecting some adjustments but he wouldn't even do that. He tried once but said I was too tense and didn't try again instead he would just rub my skin or "trigger points" like he would say. This is a highly respected dude with a lot good reviews. I was confused af! Anyway, I was over with his BS really quick and decided to see another guy. My God, I had no idea how crappy my neck was, he fixed me and I could legit move and walk much better afterwards. He definitely was a good chiropractor!

Last edited:
I know that there's some studies that found a link between neck manipulations and strokes. There are also studies who didn't find a link. I wouldn't risk it, brain damage is no joke.

I also don't think chiropractice is useful in most cases. Usually bad posture is caused by muscle imbalances that you can rectify by training the weak muscle groups. Even if a chiropractor puts back bones in their correct position (after spending big bucks on multiple sessions), the muscle imbalance will slowly throw them out of whack again. Although there might some rare cases where someone, if they went through normal medicine, would get invasive surgery and metal rods inserted in their spine... might be worth trying to a chiropractic route, while telling the chiro that you don't want any kind of neck cracking or neck manipulation.

I slept funny like two weeks ago and my neck mobility has been weird since. I want to go get it cracked but I also don't want to pay $100 for something that will go away on its own.

I dated a girl whose dad was a chiropractor and he would crack our necks with that violent head jerk. It felt good, but then again, cracking your knuckles feels good and doesn't do anything.

I don't believe in that quackery at all, but I could watch hot bitches get these adjustments all day on YouTube. There are all these chiropractors on YouTube who use their channels as marketing, and they can monetize the views. It's quite brilliant from a business point of view. I feel like just watching these "adjustments" carries a lot of the power of the placebo, and its strange cathartic effect. I get the "chills", sometimes, just watching, and I've noticed I'm more likely to experience this when they are especially good at talking their pseudoscientific BS. Skepticism doesn't render immunity to its charms.

Maybe this will save money for those of you who enjoy it (or maybe just make you want it more). This really is a YouTube rabbit hole. The older Texan dude with the gravelly voice who does the "Ringdinger" (which frankly doesn't look safe to me) on the CrackAddictz channel definitely seems a cut above as far as backcrackers go. He's been doing this a long time. His movements are more confident and precise. I think I also understand why a lot of these men decided to pursue this "calling":

Chiropractic Manipulation is non-scientific junk and will only help based on the placebo effect. Many chiropractors also use stretching, electro stim, and spinal decompression to alleviate pain. Those things actually do work, but you can also do them on your own without spending unnecessary money on someone that could potentially hurt you through manipulation after a serious injury. So feel free to go for that stuff and avoid the manipulation if you have minor issues. Go to a real doctor is you have serious back, neck or spinal issues.

Similar story for me. All this guy does is crack a bunch of stuff that I can't crack on my own. Nothing crazy....except that he's an anti-vax dude. I just ignore that entirely.
They're all so hilariously against medicine in my experience.
One I went to asked where my back pain started and I told him i tore my left lat when I was younger, so there's muscular imbalance and it's pinching. Took an MRI for the doctor to figure this out.

He's like "OH WELL THAT'S CONVENIENT, bet they tried to push every drug in the world on to you"
"No, they just suggested physical therapy..."
"oh okay"

lmao

The minute she said 'this will help release toxins' I mentally checked out and enjoyed the stretching session.

At best they are a physiotherapist, at worst they are a witch doctor.

Their practice is not science based, their founder believed spinal manipulation would cure deafness and tuberculosis, which is obviously bullshit.

Chiropractic saved my life- All the doctors in the world couldn't cure a blade of grass- chiropractic doesn't cure anything, but helps your body adapt to different stresses - if your body can't adapt, it starts to break down- if your looking for pain relief, drugs are king - chiropractic may alleviate pain, and it might not- just like any profession, from plumbers to auto mechanics, there are shady ones and there are good ones-

Yup. I just saw a car at Costco with stickers all over it Dr. XYZ, holistic hippy chiro care this, anti-western medicine that. It really puzzles me how so many people believe in alternative medicine, ghosts, UFOs, etc.

Never been to one, and will avoid going to one if I can help it.

I've had lumbar issues for 15 years now. Nothing some ibuprofin, stretching and repositioning while sitting and lying down can't fix.

And core excises. Core exercises are money when you have back issues.

One I went to asked where my back pain started and I told him i tore my left lat when I was younger, so there's muscular imbalance and it's pinching. Took an MRI for the doctor to figure this out.

He's like "OH WELL THAT'S CONVENIENT, bet they tried to push every drug in the world on to you"
"No, they just suggested physical therapy..."
"oh okay"

lmao

Someone I work with eats up all the supplement upsells his chriopractor gives him. His knees don't have any cartilage left and his chiro promised that six months of *insert ridiculous animal supplement name* will result in full cartilage recovery. Also does "cleanses" per the chiro recommendations.

Someone I work with eats up all the supplement upsells his chriopractor gives him. His knees don't have any cartilage left and his chiro promised that six months of *insert ridiculous animal supplement name* will result in full cartilage recovery. Also does "cleanses" per the chiro recommendations.
oh jesus.
The dude was scheduling me for like 3 visits a week and some 180$ plan and i was like "Dude, i do bjj and my neck gets stiff sometimes. Can we chill?" and he just gave me bitchy gay eyes and told me it was all good

oh jesus.
The dude was scheduling me for like 3 visits a week and some 180$ plan and i was like "Dude, i do bjj and my neck gets stiff sometimes. Can we chill?" and he just gave me bitchy gay eyes and told me it was all good

My dude might be a little crazy and hasn't come out of the closet to his wife and kids....but he doesn't push anything. Seems like he's just happy to get my insurance money once every few months.

Back