1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Wendler's 5/3/1 or Hepburn Method?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by KnightTemplar, Aug 4, 2010.

1. KnightTemplar

KnightTemplar Ebony Belt Platinum Member

Are you sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin...:icon_chee

On Friday I will be starting a new training program. I will also be posting a Log, so other Sherdoggers can laugh at my girly-man numbers and feel better about their own lifts.:redface:

I am the Weakest Sherdogger!:icon_cry2

I've narrowed the choices down to either Wendler's 5/3/1 or Hepburn Method...and even as I type this, I can imagine hordes of Sherdoggers foaming at the mouth and howling, "Starting Strength you fucking Noob!"

SS is a great system and I have used it. But Squatting three times per week aggravated old knee injuries. I've also ruled out WS4SB because at 100k I'm pretty sure I'm not a skinny bastard. An ugly bastard, yes, but that's another story.:eek:

So that leaves 5/3/1 and Hepburn out of the programs that get the most Love on Sherdog.

I will be running either program 2 - 3 days per week, depending on shift pattern. Each day will be based on one or two of the Big Three, with a small number of assistance exercises.

I really like both systems, both are proven to work. I just need help to decide which one I will be following for at least the next month.

Fire at will, ladies and gentlemen.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  2. rckvl

rckvl Blue Belt

I love teh 5/3/1 and have been using it for almost 6 months now.

3. turbozed

turbozed Red Belt

I really like 5/3/1 too. Just started it about a month and a half ago. I think the volume and rep scheme is working well for me and I'm close to hitting some of my goals for the year already (with a couple months left to spare!).

4. DrBdan

DrBdan Something clever

I'd go with 5/3/1 because it's currently a more popular routine which means there are more resources available to you.

5. KnightTemplar

Thank you for the replies. I am leaning slightly towards 5/3/1 simply because there is more variety; while I have no doubt Hepburn will work doing exactly the same weight for weeks on end may get a little stale. Even though that is what makes the system work.

6. PowerHungry

PowerHungry Oh yeah!

Yeah, but if there was ever a time to run Texas Method, it'd be now with Pendlay here as one of the sources of information.

7. hatchoo

hatchoo Orange Belt

If you think that you can squeeze out noob gains, then something like the 3day split in the faq would be good (done in linear progression). I was doing that for some time and had pretty good gains with it. For the record i'm doing 5/3/1 and i feel like this program has to be followed for more than 6-8 months to make some good gains.

8. dexbot

dexbot chest press = sexiness

If your numbers are that low any program with linear progression will give you bigger gains. And if squatting 3x/week is too much just don't. That being said: Another version of TM could do a lot for you.

BTW I always thought 3 squatting sessions would be too much for my knees, but I've been working hard on my technique and wearing sleeves and I'm doing fine since several months squatting 3x on a regular base, using low bar position. I didn't have any serious knee injury though.

9. KnightTemplar

AAARRRGGGGHHHH! Now I'm even more confused!!:confused::mad:

10. Gierrod

Gierrod Blue Belt

I hope this helps!! :icon_twis

[​IMG]

11. KnightTemplar

On second thoughts, I've just had a closer look at the Texas Method and, while it is an excellent system, I have the same problem with it as I do with SS: too much Squatting.

So, back to 5/3/1 or Hepburn...

12. Gierrod

Gierrod Blue Belt

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  13. KnightTemplar

Dude! That's sick!:eek::icon_chee

14. Barbarian

Barbarian Yellow Belt

Well first I ask that you post your numbers because that will allow everyone to judge if you still have any real linear workout to workout progression left in you. If you do, I would continue to do Starting Strength but modified with just squatting once per week on Wednesdays using 5/3/1 and then adding Hang Cleans Monday / Friday, or really whatever you care to do but I prefer Hang Cleans...or if your numbers for Bench/SOHP/Deadlift are beyond Starting Strength I would reccomend Madcow or Texas Method 5x5, but once again only squatting once a week on Wednesday using 5/3/1 with varied assistance and of course the Hang Cleans M/F. Whatever you do though, best of luck my man.

15. KnightTemplar

Thanks, man - I'll need it!

16. KnightTemplar

Barbarian, you may have a very good point: am I ready for 5/3/1? Or should I do a more basic, linear progression program?

So...after drinking Miller until I'm too pissed to feel the humiliation, here are my Numbers. I await the Judgement of Sherdog, and may God have mercy on my soul.

Height: 6' 2"

Weight: 100k

1 Rep Maximums as of last week.

Bench: 85K

Squat: 101K

Deadlift: 105K

Push-Press: 60K

In my own defence, I have'nt trained properly since last year. I'm coming back after injuries to my knee(cartilage)and shoulders(rotator cuff). While I was never the strongest guy in the gym, I was lifting heavier than this.

If the majority on here think I should stick with a basic linear progression template so be it. The whole point of joining Sherdog was to learn from others with greater experiance than I have. And I'm old enough to leave my ego at the door.

17. CrazyNutz

CrazyNutz White Belt

You still have linear progress in you, especially on Deadlift.

18. Gierrod

Gierrod Blue Belt

Im surprised your deadlift is basically the same as your squat.

19. KnightTemplar

So, two votes for Linear Progression?

20. Barbarian

Barbarian Yellow Belt

I dunno, if you were quite a bit stronger than those numbers before your injuries I would run the Starting Strength template but with Wednesday as your only Squat day. I don't know your condition if 5/3/1 high rep squats will hurt you more than help you or if its best to just do 5 sets of 5 once a week increasing by 2.5kg each week, really its up to your knowledge of your own body. I would run the SS template until you reset your bench/push press twice and then switch to Madcow, once again only squatting on Wednesday and replacing your M/F exercise with something else. Here is a link to help you with Madcow:

5x5 Calculator

Good luck!