Welterweight picture cleared up

zxyss25

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Now he know that winner of Brown vs Lawler to get next shot...this also means Nick Diaz is most likely not coming back

Condit it seems is still out for a while

It looks like we might see winners of Woodley/Rory & Lombard/Dong fight to get the next shot unless Woodley & Lombard say they wont fight eachother...also does this mean they wont fight Lawler?

We also have Saff as a wildcard who still needs a fight when he comes back
I know Thatch is not ranked really high, but a fight with Saff could be really entertaining, maybe even headline a free card and definitely be on the main card of a PPV

Or maybe with Thatch, they give him Mike Pyle knowing that Thatch will probably will while Pyle still is considered a good win

It looks like Ellenberger, despite having all the talent continues to falter under the pressure...look for the UFC to get him back in the win column with maybe the loser of Nelson/LaFlare or the maybe even Mike Pierce or Kosheck?
Or maybe they give Ellenberger a unranked fighter on a win streak, because they cant give Ellenberger another fight he could lose...(loser of Dong/Lombard or Woodley if he loses to Rory)

It Kelvin picks up another win, he should get a crack at someone in the top 10, maybe the winner of Nelson/LaFlare, and whoever wins that fight could see themselves in a similar situation to where Matt Brown is now, a bunch of wins, but none over contenders

Good points, If Brown wins he gets next title shot, if Lawler wins in dominant fashion then he gets it, but if he wins a close fight then I would think he fights one more time before getting a shot.

I think they should give Saffediene someone a bit higher up

winner of Woodley/Macdonald should get shot if Brown loses

and Kelin should get Ellnberger, I think hes ready

and who knows about Lombard if he wins

It shouldn't have been labeled a #1 contender fight though.

Lombard v Kim and Macdonald v Tyrone Woodley are equally if not as high stake.

Like Lombard said, Kim has wins over Brown and Erik, how is Brown ahead.

Is Hendricks hurt or something? Waiting on the Lawler/Brown winner (July 26th) is a pretty long delay from his defense against Lawler (March 15th) if not.

The top 4 are Hendricks, Robbie, Woodley and Lombard. The rest are on the outside looking in. Too many fights to decide it but Dana likes to get a few miles out of his champs/contenders before they tumble for $$$ reasons. DHK is a question mark. He's the mystery man in the division.
Both Robbie and Woodley have shown marked improvement in their last fights. Lombard needs a shot soon because dealing with top guys at his age will just get tougher. Still Lombard or Woodley would wreck Brown and Robbie will. Condit will never crack the top 3 again because Woodley was wrecking him before the injury. Rory, same thing. He's skilled but lacks the physicalness of the top 4. If Hendricks is forced to fight Woodley, Lombard and Robbie to defend his title, one of them will beat him IMO.

with GSP gone (i dont like or hate him. just neutral.), the ww division is becoming very exciting.

wtf is up with Saff? Dude has fought like one time since the strikeforce guys came over.

Where do you have Demian Maia in the picture? He is still in the top ten I believe and could still make a run at the title.

Woodley/MacDonald
Lombard/Kim
Lawler/Brown

So that leaves Saffiedine to potentially face Maia, or MacDonald if he beats Woodley. Even though both guys need a win, I'd love to see Ellenberger vs Silva. Maybe after both get a win over lesser competition.

It shouldn't have been labeled a #1 contender fight though.

Lombard v Kim and Macdonald v Tyrone Woodley are equally if not as high stake.

Like Lombard said, Kim has wins over Brown and Erik, how is Brown ahead.

I agree with you that the winners of Lombard vs Kim and Rory vs Woodley would be equally deserving of the titles shot but Dana has done this a million times before, we just don't know who is gonna get the title shot. Dana just likes to increase the importance of fights by labeling them as #1 contender fights whenever he can.

Back