Welterweight Elimination

DoctorDoug

White Belt
Reaction score
So the thought would be the winner of Lawler/Brown and Woodley/Rory face off to get a shot at Hendricks?

nah.

lawler/brown gets first shot.

winners of kim/lombard and rory/twood face off for next shot

unless lombard and twood both win, then it who knows because i don't think they would fight each other

I think it would be most "fair". But I think it would kill contenders but then again its the WW division...

The unofficial tournament finals of Lombard/Kim/Rory/Tyron should take place in the fall on the same card that the Hendricks/Robbie-Brown fight takes place. With the mini tournament fighting for the title in early '15.

nah.

lawler/brown gets first shot.

winners of kim/lombard and rory/twood face off for next shot

unless lombard and twood both win, then it who knows because i don't think they would fight each other

Brownie is being fed to Lawler. Rory and Twood are the number 2 and 3 guys it would kind of be backsteping in a sense.

Brownie is being fed to Lawler. Rory and Twood are the number 2 and 3 guys it would kind of be backsteping in a sense.

Yeah, but I still think it might play out that way by virtue of Hendricks still being injured and the time it might take for the title to actually happen, then any potential injuries after that.

The unofficial tournament finals of Lombard/Kim/Rory/Tyron should take place in the fall on the same card that the Hendricks/Robbie-Brown fight takes place. With the mini tournament fighting for the title in early '15.

If Robbie or Brown face Hendricks in Nov

then we won't see a WW title fight till probably March/April 2015

and they may do a TUF

I think the best (hopeful) turnout is a lawler-brown winner (lawler lol) fights hendricks next.

with rory beating twood and hector beating dhk. Setting up a rory v lombard show down for the next shot after lawler - hendricks 2 winner.

i only say this because twood and lombard are teammates and may not want to fight each other...or at least if a belt not on the line.

If Robbie or Brown face Hendricks in Nov

then we won't see a WW title fight till probably March/April 2015

and they may do a TUF

The division is steam rolling right now. UFC won't hold things up for TUF coaching. The Welterweight title fight between Hendricks and Lawler/Brown winner are based on how much longer Johny is sidelined for and how damaged Lawler/Brown is after their fight. Plus, we might see the return of GSP and/or Nick Diaz to thicken the plot.

Why is Robbie getting lined up to get another shot so quickly??

First of all, he's being put into a #1 Contender's fight, which if he were to win, would put him up for a title re-match somewhere between November-January. 8-9 months after his first title fight wouldn't fall under the timeframe of "so quickly".

Second of all, its an opportunity for Matt Brown as well.

But, the main reason is because Hendricks beat Lawler in a very close split decision that could have gone either way and if Lawler does earn another crack at the title, its well deserved because he would have beat 2 #10 contenders in a 3 month span.

No argument from me if the winner of Lawler/Brown faces Hendricks. Woodley and Lombard are on the horizon

if Matt Brown could (very unlikely) get a title shot off his next win, the winner of Lombard/Kim should most goddamned assuredly get the next shot.

That's a good question - would Lombard/Kim winner get a shot ahead of Tyron Woodley if Woodley beats Rory?

Depends how it goes down, nothing is ever guaranteed, even if Dana says so, dunno how Lawler would be more deserving of another title shot than Lomard if he KO's DHK though

First of all, he's being put into a #1 Contender's fight, which if he were to win, would put him up for a title re-match somewhere between November-January. 8-9 months after his first title fight wouldn't fall under the timeframe of "so quickly".

Second of all, its an opportunity for Matt Brown as well.

But, the main reason is because Hendricks beat Lawler in a very close split decision that could have gone either way and if Lawler does earn another crack at the title, its well deserved because he would have beat 2 #10 contenders in a 3 month span.

No argument from me if the winner of Lawler/Brown faces Hendricks. Woodley and Lombard are on the horizon
Hendricks v Lawler wasn't a split decision.

What I don't like is the same fighters being in back to back title fights; that is if Lawler beats Brown. I'd rather see Hendricks defend against someone else first. Oh, well, his injury screws that up.
Still though I don't care for back to back same title fights unless the first one was a draw, ended by a foul or early cut (like Belfort v Couture years ago) or controversy.

Back