Welter is the crazy weight cut division

Human Bass

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
It seems to be that 170 is the illusional sweet spot for many big guys. We have Till, Hendricks, Whittaker, Thiago Marreta and Anthony Johnson as huge guys that were almost suicidal to make weight.

The current champion is a quite big cutter, so is Usman I believe. Colby and Wonderboy seems to be the exception.

It seems to be that 170 is the illusional sweet spot for many big guys. We have Till, Hendricks, Whittaker, Thiago Marreta and Anthony Johnson as huge guys that were almost suicidal to make weight.

The current champion is a quite big cutter, so is Usman I believe. Colby and Wonderboy seems to be the exception.
True. Most WW are 200 pounders

It's cause they eat too much. Less food = less weight.

Weight cutting needs to be banned .

fighters should be under vision throughout the whole camp , weighing in no more than 5 pounds during and prior to the fight .

They should enforce it like usada enforces no drugs .Show up anytime anywhere and you have to step on a scale .

We would see better fights this way , fighters wouldn’t be so drained from the cut and their chins should hold up better .

You got guys with big frames and you got Hendricks who would be a 155er without food addiction.

fighters should be under vision throughout the whole camp , weighing in no more than 5 pounds during and prior to the fight .

They should enforce it like usada enforces no drugs .Show up anytime anywhere and you have to step on a scale .

We would see better fights this way , fighters wouldn’t be so drained from the cut and their chins should hold up better .

Some guys gain and shed weight really easy.Just one of the many reasons your idea makes absolutely no sense.It's part of the sport,just like wrestling,boxing and many other sports.It's always the people that have never competed in anything physical at a decent level that think there's some easy fix and it's always the dumbest shit lol.

Would be impossible to enforce. Can't tell a fighter what he can weigh starting a camp. If you did enforce it what would you do when they are over weight. Wait till they take a shit or piss and let them re weigh in.

Thiago Santos was at WW?

edit- dang- wiki confirms it- didn’t know

It’s just a crazy jump.... it’s 10 pound increments until they get to 155, then it’s all “fuck it! Let’s do 15 a couple times”. Then you hit 185 and why not 20?? Now 60!!!!

I like the idea of weighing in during training camp.

Maybe do a ten pound window.

I'd say there are plenty of crazy weight cutters in most weight classes. Max Holloway and Conor McGregor at 145 is insane.

Khabib had to go to the hospital trying to make 155.

Luke Rockhold and Costa look like they cut 100 pounds. Romero missed weight twice in recent fights.

Cormier has his own personal towelgate.

I remember when Cezar Mutante tried to drop to WW. Already a big, shredded MW

wasn’t pretty iirc

Gunnar bless
The only guy in the division that cut no weight at all

All weight classes are crazy weight cut classes

Back