Well thats a first...

the_Dark Knight

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So I was at a tournament earlier today, and something that I'm sure doesn't happen at alot of events occured. During the teens the divison I began hearing people go "Ohhhh". At first I thought someone broke a joint ...I looked over the railing and turns out one of the competitors was hurling all over the mat. I mean he blew like 7 or 8 times, each time he did everyone would go "Ohhh!" (i believe it was posted on my teammates facebook 2 mins after it happened), Of course he left and eventually came back, when he did they made fun of him over the pa system. Well I thought it was a funny moment and figured I share it with you guys. Anyone ever have something akward happen to them or see something akward happen at a tournament before?

Threw up in my football helmet in high school. While wearing it obviously, I didn't just use it to catch the puke. Thick shit was just hanging from my face mask. Yah, thanks for helping me to relive that moment

saw the exact same thing when i went to go watch a tuffman boxing tournament. dude threw up 4 different times till he made it to the final match......... he got knocked out in the overtime round lol

Last year at the State Fair tournament for Taekwondo, I saw one of the competitors go throw up, then shortly after the guy he was fighting ran to the same trash can to hurl.

I was there yesterday... It was a guy from Paradigm, he was doing really well in his match, pretty much dominating. But then in the last minute, he started getting this pained look in his face and dry heaving, and I'm pretty sure his focus was thrown at that point. The other guy threw a submission on him and after the match, he started hurling everywhere.

I felt really bad cause everyone's first reaction was to take out their cells and start taking pictures instead of helping him :( but when I saw him later, he was laughing it off ("Winner by vomit!!")

In other news, I got first in my weight division AND the absolute for women's (sorry, just had to stick that in there). All in all, it was a very memorable first tournament :)

I was there yesterday... It was a guy from Paradigm, he was doing really well in his match, pretty much dominating. But then in the last minute, he started getting this pained look in his face and dry heaving, and I'm pretty sure his focus was thrown at that point. The other guy threw a submission on him and after the match, he started hurling everywhere.

I felt really bad cause everyone's first reaction was to take out their cells and start taking pictures instead of helping him :( but when I saw him later, he was laughing it off ("Winner by vomit!!")

In other news, I got first in my weight division AND the absolute for women's (sorry, just had to stick that in there). All in all, it was a very memorable first tournament :)

Yeah the winner by vomit line was funny. Congrats on the wins.

Brutal, we have had guys who throw up but usually they're able to get off the mats.

I was playing football (soccer) and I went to block a shot on goal, took what felt like the hardest hit shot there's ever been square in the balls. I screamed like a girl, went down and couldn't get back up, worst pain I've ever felt. I got carried off the pitch and substituted all while throwing up all over the place and every single person in the crowd laughing at me.

once at a mixed judo + bjj course a guy in his late 20's arrived and the instructor as we were all saluting him presented him to us. He told us "this is [dude's name] I know him since he was a kid, and at that time he was my best student. when he started competing and I was cornering him, he would win, every single one of his match in a minute. Except once. One time, after a minute, he couldn't get an ippon, and got a yuko. He looked at me terrified, it wasn't normal for him. 30 seconds later, the guy got the yuko this time. [Dude] had an anxiety crisis on the mat and threw up. Obviously he got DQed and He never competed again. It was ten years ago, and to this day, he was still my best student. I think he could have made it to the national team and I'm proud to see him ten years afterward.

Crazy story.

Never seen a guy puke on the mat at a tourney. I did see a guy shit himself when he got stacked hard. That was hilarious, it was only funny because I wasn't fighting him. Felt bad for both of those guys.

Never seen a guy puke on the mat at a tourney. I did see a guy shit himself when he got stacked hard. That was hilarious, it was only funny because I wasn't fighting him. Felt bad for both of those guys.

LOL. Your never living that one down are you :icon_lol:

Barfed in my mouth once after a guy tried a nasty ezekiel choke inside my guard. What can you do with a mouthful of puke? I tried swallowing, started choking and sputtering, then just tapped.

I was at a tournament when a couple of years ago where I saw several vomiting incidents. Two in the bathroom. Another incident on the mats when one guy caught his opponent in a straight ankle lock. The guy tapped out and immediately and then ran to the garbage bag at the edge of the mat and proceeded to hurl. The winner ran over and held the bag for him (talk about sportsmanship). Well the vomiting got to be to much for the winner and he then started puking into the bag also. I was worried it was going to break out into the scene from "Stand by Me".

Are these people just throwing up because of nerves, or what? I don't understand it at all.

I get kinda nervous at competitions but it never makes me feel like throwing up. It just makes me go to the bathroom and pee like ten times, which is really annoying because I have to keep untying my gi pants over and over

Are these people just throwing up because of nerves, or what? I don't understand it at all.

I get kinda nervous at competitions but it never makes me feel like throwing up. It just makes me go to the bathroom and pee like ten times, which is really annoying because I have to keep untying my gi pants over and over

Alot of it may be nerves but in this case I think the kid just got over exhausted. I also heard through the grape vine that he ate sushi not to long before the event.

didnt you ever train until you puked up before? i never have during bjj class.

i think there are many different factors though, not just how hard you try.

(what/when you ate, type of excercise, intensity, nerves, hydration, etc)

You've never seen anyone throw up at a tourney? Every time that I've seen someone throw up, it was right after their match. I assume gassing mixed with nerves. I know for some reason I always cough like crazy when I'm gassed. It triggers a gag reflex but I've yet to throw up.

didnt you ever train until you puked up before? i never have during bjj class.

i think there are many different factors though, not just how hard you try.

(what/when you ate, type of excercise, intensity, nerves, hydration, etc)

Nope. I've done some hard workouts (high school football two-a-days were rough) but I've never actually made myself puke from doing any type of exercise. So I guess that's why I don't quite understand what makes people yak on the mat at a competition.

Of course, now I just jinxed myself, and I will probably barf all over my opponent during my very next match, lol

Back