Well-roundedness is overrated

I agree. Dictating where the fight takes place and being far superior at one aspect is a winning recipe.

All of the champs have one thing in common: Keeping the fight where they want it to be and being better there. Except GSP, he's better at everything.

everything is overrated these days.its the new underrated.
67e87c2d.gif

Aldo,Benson,GSP,Anderson,Jones all well rounded.JDS has awesome boxing with great TDD and BJJ black belt.he's pretty well rounded too.
Top contender Overeem- K1 champ who won ADCC trials euro.He's pretty well rounded too.
Barao is wellrouned

and FlyW champ i dont give a shit.

In reality pretty much everyone who's had real sucess in MMA over the last decade is pretty well rounded or at the very least ticks 2 out of 3 boxes for striking, wrestling and BJJ.

Whats really being discussed here is more fighters having a well rounded skill set but a one dimentional gameplan with those skills often bias towards fighting that gameplan.

You look at the history of MMA and I think you see that while yes such fighters can often be very sucessful they do tend to hit a road block in the end when they face someone who's skills match there own.

This for me is really the issue why I consider fighting opponants with multiple styles important to a fighters legacey. A guy with takedown defence and power who beats say 3 top 10 wrestlers in a row has IMHO achieved less than a guy with a more rounded skill set who beats a mix of strikers, BJJ fighters and wrestlers.

Of course I think the same is true at the other end of the scale, "jack of all trades" fighters can be overated aswell as they win by targetting weaknesses and not excelling in any one area. Generally though they don't tend to go quite as far since opponants weaknesses have to be pretty clear.

You have to be at least really good in one dimension and proficient in another. I cant think of any examples where this isnt true at the top outside of.hw

You have to be at least really good in one dimension and proficient in another. I cant think of any examples where this isnt true at the top outside of.hw

Even at HW we really havent seen many truely one dimentional fighters since the millenium.

Some guys can push it a bit more based on size advanatge but even the likes of Brock, Sylvia, Kerr etc werent totally one dimentional.

I keep seeing Junior indicted for being "one-dimensional," which to me is indicative of a poor understanding of MMA.

You don't need to be good everywhere to succeed in the sport. You only need two things: one aspect of MMA in which you are superior to your opponent and the ability to make that aspect the sole focus of the fight.

This can be broad; you can be an all-around better striker, so you need TDD. Alternatively, you can be better with kicks but not punches, in which case you need TDD, the ability to stay at range, and the timing to avoid retaliatory lunches.

If you have those things, literally nothing else matters. Your BJJ is meaningless, your clinch game is meaningless.

To make it clearer, look at someone like Diaz, who is devastating standing and on the mat, but has no positional control. You only need to be better than him on either the feet or the mat, not both.

Now look at someone like Koscheck or Cormier; thanks to their wrestling, you have to be better than them both standing and on the mat. You have to prepare for both aspects while they only need to prepare for one.

Junior doesn't need to be a better grappler or kicker than you; he makes you box with him. The ability to do so is the only thing he needs besides his hands.

Marcelo Garcia called and wants to talk to you about his MMA career:cool:

The only truely one dimensional fighters who have has success in recent memory for me is Lesnar and Ronda, and even with them thin weight classes played a part.

it seems as though all of the champs are very well rounded. makes a pretty good for being well rounded.

Because they lack the ability to MAKE people box with them. Junior stymies kicks with counters and clinching with footwork. You wind up forced to trade hands with him.

Catching kicks can also work towards that end.

The problem is that Junior has not fought ANY well rounded strikers. Gonzaga,Yvel,Carwin,Nelson and Struve are not even close to being good well rounded strikers. They brawled right along with JDS who is a brawler.

Only the Ghost of Crocop had any success was able to tag JDS consistently and thats because Crocop had better striking even after his prime then all the others put together. Prime Crocop would have handed JDS a 1st round beating the likes of which would have been awesome to see.
Crocop was just too beat down from many wars to cope with a fresh brawler.

totally agreed - if you have a specialized skill as well as good defense and cardio, then thats good - if its like kos's wrestling, it takes him places even when his other skills are not elite

well roundedness helps, but having that one skill that is better than any one else's is most important probably

I agree to an extent. It's better to be great at two things and slightly below average at others than it is to be decent at everything.

All the debate proves MMA is the greatest contact sport in the world. There's so much to it.

Wrestling wins you fights!

No

BJJ does

Wong!

A good chin and a powerful punch does

No it doesn't !

A good chin and a powerful punch means little without good footwork and hand speed.

But that's a limited form of fighting; kickboxing is more dangerous and will trump a boxing style more times than not.

No! Muay Thai is better!

Imagine if a fighter comes along and applies all these forms of fighting. Imagine if this fighter meshes them well and uses certain techniques to counter other techniques his opponent is using. What if this fighter's timing and knowledge on WHEN to use different styles is up to par. All this coupled with great game planing; what a fighter he would be.

Until that happens boxing and wrestling are supreme!

Wait, what the fuck?

Well rounded fighters with high fight iq and being able to decide pre fight what game plan they need to implement and where they hold the advantages, along with contingency plans incase things change mid fight. Too many fighters lose fights by ignoring their corners or just plain fighting stupid. Think about cerrone vs Diaz for a moment. By all accounts cerrone should be regarded as having a higher striking pedigree. So the idea of standing and trading with him was a good plan, cerrone got caught up in a firestorm that he was not winning and failed to either have a secondary option or failed to realize it was time to abandon option one in favor of what I thought should have been his secondary. Take him down and grind him out. His take downs are good as is his grappling I believe his well roundedness could have won him the fight here and that WR is infact not overrated just not implemented in the correct manner. Shit hits the fan in fights sometimes the brain turns off and you fight off instinct and pattern.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gladiator47
Back