Well, I lost

armtriangle

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
for the first time this weekend. first spin as a blue belt.

only had 2 matches. first guy i submitted with a collar choke from top side mount. broke my finger death gripping his collar, didnt realise it until after my second match. tough guy, I had the choke sunk for art least a minute. i would have tapped alot earlier.

second guy no takedowns for entire 6 mins, about 20 seconds left i make a huge mental error and pull guard and get passed immediately. he wins 2-0. i had a mental block on takedowns, i just kept going for the same thing over and over. he was blocking me out and would take a few shots of his own, though he never came close to taking me down. He went on to win the open. I would have liked to have another crack, but alas, my poor finger.

got to work on my guard... was afraid to go on bottom, and couldnt get him down, so we stayed standing.

full of self loathing.

1 and 1. Sounds like a good time, grats on getting out there and competing.

My last two tournaments have been my first two as a blue belt, and I've gone 0-4.

It's all seasoning.

Don't sweat it, brother. We've all been there. Hey...at least you know what you want to work on now, right?

I'd say you did well. Absolutely no reason to be down on yourself. At least YOU tried something and, had he not passed, would've been given the nod for making a move toward ending the match.

Everyone loses. keep working at it

Don't sweat it, brother. We've all been there. Hey...at least you know what you want to work on now, right?

I'd say you did well. Absolutely no reason to be down on yourself. At least YOU tried something and, had he not passed, would've been given the nod for making a move toward ending the match.

no, we wouldve flipped a coin and started a 2 minute in overtime. i was extremely gassed. when i went out for the match i was still breathing hard from my first match. i was thinking about that 2 minutes and decided to win it or lose it right there. i lost it. i have been kicking myself ever since. i watched his other matches and i believe i would have won on the mat... but hindsight, well you know.

i actually shot in, got stuffed and then pulled guard thinking sweep. but i didnt even get my legs through, i stuck a knee in and he shoved it down to side mount. i was also thinking if i didnt get the sweep, i could surely hold on to guard for 10 seconds. i was wrong.

looking back fatigue had alot to do with my overall gameplan and the finish. i guess i need to work on guard AND conditioning

for the first time this weekend. first spin as a blue belt.

only had 2 matches. first guy i submitted with a collar choke from top side mount. broke my finger death gripping his collar, didnt realise it until after my second match. tough guy, I had the choke sunk for art least a minute. i would have tapped alot earlier.

second guy no takedowns for entire 6 mins, about 20 seconds left i make a huge mental error and pull guard and get passed immediately. he wins 2-0. i had a mental block on takedowns, i just kept going for the same thing over and over. he was blocking me out and would take a few shots of his own, though he never came close to taking me down. He went on to win the open. I would have liked to have another crack, but alas, my poor finger.

got to work on my guard... was afraid to go on bottom, and couldnt get him down, so we stayed standing.

full of self loathing.

Sometiems you pay like 50 bucks to tap one guy in 20 secs and get suffocated for 3 mins the next match. It sucks because you want to run right back on to the mat.

Well man, you fared better than me.. my first run as a blue as well, and I was excited to see how i would fare..

First fight I pulled guard after a minute of stand-up stalemate... (I got impatient, and in retrospect should have done the foot on hip takedown to open guard, so i did learn from this)

Nevertheless, bumped heads with the guy, his forehead to my chin and i got the worst of it via a gash in my chin that needed trip to ER and 7 stitches... they would not let me continue the fight.. (if the guy I fought is reading this.. sorry dude, hope ur forehead is OK)

Overall my whole weekend ruined. I waited in a downtown Newark hospital for 12 hours on a Saturday night (til Sunday AM) waiting to get stitched up while drunks, crackheads and freaks from the street with no insurance and nothing urgent happening were getting treatment upon arrival while i waited... I have nothing against people getting treatment, but becasue they came thru the ambulance and not walk-in they got priority for some reason! and unlike them I have a professional job and cannot go thru life looking like a veteran UFC fighter! Im not sure how long a gash can be open before it needs to be closed up, but they were pushing it...

And to top it off i paid NAGA 80 dollars for all this bliss... :icon_chee but all in all Im glad i did it cuz BJJ is one of the things that has made my life more interesting and challenging, fulfilling.. ect.. ect... and you gotta go out there and go for it....

Well man, you fared better than me.. my first run as a blue as well, and I was excited to see how i would fare..

First fight I pulled guard after a minute of stand-up stalemate... (I got impatient, and in retrospect should have done the foot on hip takedown to open guard, so i did learn from this)

Nevertheless, bumped heads with the guy, his forehead to my chin and i got the worst of it via a gash in my chin that needed trip to ER and 7 stitches... they would not let me continue the fight.. (if the guy I fought is reading this.. sorry dude, hope ur forehead is OK)

Overall my whole weekend ruined. I waited in a downtown Newark hospital for 12 hours on a Saturday night (til Sunday AM) waiting to get stitched up while drunks, crackheads and freaks from the street with no insurance and nothing urgent happening were getting treatment upon arrival while i waited... I have nothing against people getting treatment, but becasue they came thru the ambulance and not walk-in they got priority for some reason! and unlike them I have a professional job and cannot go thru life looking like a veteran UFC fighter! Im not sure how long a gash can be open before it needs to be closed up, but they were pushing it...

And to top it off i paid NAGA 80 dollars for all this bliss... :icon_chee but all in all Im glad i did it cuz BJJ is one of the things that has made my life more interesting and challenging, fulfilling.. ect.. ect... and you gotta go out there and go for it....

Don't worry, Mario. Chicks dig scars.

At least that's what I keep telling myself. hahaha

That sucks about the hospital. We got home Sunday AM, and you were still stuck in wack ass Newark. :icon_sad: Hope to see you back on the mats soon all healed up!

Me too. First run as a blue. 1:1.

Better than 0:1, I say.

Don't worry, Mario. Chicks dig scars.

At least that's what I keep telling myself. hahaha

That sucks about the hospital. We got home Sunday AM, and you were still stuck in wack ass Newark. :icon_sad: Hope to see you back on the mats soon all healed up!

Thanks dude...heh.. it really was a bad and eye opening experience about health care in america man.. haha... I was actually regretting not driving home the 200 miles and going to a Boston hospital...would have had it taken care of AND been home already :icon_chee...

i should be back on the mat in a couple weeks, so c ya soon dude!

The big losses are the best learning opportunities. I still remember a loss I had at a wrestling tourney in HS. I was winning 9-0 and, as per the rules of the tourney, I was 1 point from a "Domination" win. So rather than a takedown to get his back or something, I went for a spectacular throw (I don't remember what). He countered, I landed on my back, he pinned me. Oh did I mention it was for a medal? I was some pissed after that.

I also remember the first time I was choked out in a match. It was in a judo toureny and I went for a a throw and the guy countered and locked on a collar choke so fast I was doing the funky chicken trying to tap.

But the good is tempered with the bad. The same tourney that I got choked out in, I landed the most beautiful Tomoe Nage I have ever done. I even rolled right in to mount. And if you learn from it you will be better for it. I fought the guy who choked me twice more. The second time he beat me again by a koka but the third time I threw him for an Ippon. It probably doesn't help right now but taking the long view and treating every fight as another learning experience will make it feel better eventually.

Everybody loses, I've lost too.

After winning everything I entered as a white belt, I got my blue at the end of 2004, and entered a tournament 3 months later.

I won my no-gi match, lost my gi match.

Second tournament as a blue, lost my gi match and my no-gi match.

Third tournament won my first gi match / lost my second gi match.

Fouth tournament lost my only gi match. Came second because only had two of us monsters.

So you are not alone. Its a much deeper pool of talent. Good luck in the future!

Yes, competition is one of the best learning opportunities. Don't sweat losing so much, it happens and going 1 for 1 isn't horrible - it is better than half of the people there! Learn from your mistakes and don't let them happen in the next tournament! Good job competing in your first tournament as a blue belt. Now things get competitive...

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/V1tXhJniSEc&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/V1tXhJniSEc&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

I've only done two tourneys and went 1 and 1 in both. It sounds like you did good man. Keep training hard and come back strong next time.

Yes, competition is one of the best learning opportunities. Don't sweat losing so much, it happens and going 1 for 1 isn't horrible - it is better than half of the people there! Learn from your mistakes and don't let them happen in the next tournament! Good job competing in your first tournament as a blue belt. Now things get competitive...

yeah i wouldnt be so down about it, except for how i lost. I didnt get out bjjed. i honestly think i was the best blue belt there, in any weight class. if i would have gotten wiped out, i wouldnt feel as bad. just that i lost in a bad way.

but i guess if it was easy enough that i won all the time, it wouldnt be worth doing. this has given me a new resolve with my conditioning and risk taking. i need to take more chances. this was actually the first time i had been scored upon in bjj.

yeah i wouldnt be so down about it, except for how i lost. I didnt get out bjjed. i honestly think i was the best blue belt there, in any weight class. if i would have gotten wiped out, i wouldnt feel as bad. just that i lost in a bad way.

but i guess if it was easy enough that i won all the time, it wouldnt be worth doing. this has given me a new resolve with my conditioning and risk taking. i need to take more chances. this was actually the first time i had been scored upon in bjj.

It is harder to take when you know you are better. I remember one guy I wrestled alot who had my number. I almost always finished higher than him due to double elmination rules but he would beat me, usually on one of my own foul ups. Those were that hardest.

You seem to have learned something from this so I think you can start to look at this like a positive and come back like a mad man in your next tourney.

even marcelo garcia got elimiated in his first match as a blue once.

Back