Weirdest food you ever had

I've had chicken hearts and liver at Izakaya's when I lived in Japan. @Clementine @HI SCOTT NEWMAN

source.gif

Uni!!! sea Urchin but I like it weird enough for me.

!!

Im trying bird nest soup in chinatown next week.

Unless you are paying $20+, you are probably getting sugared water and something the appears like bird nest.

Sushi joint by my house serves Jellyfish and it's actually really good. Nice and crunchy. Not sure how common that is in other parts of the world though. People here think it's really gross for some reason.

It's common in Japan, Taiwan, Malaysia and Singapore.
A little back story, why we started eating jellyfish. 10+ years ago, fisherman are getting tons and tons of jellyfish caught in their net due to the warming of ocean water. Jellyfish actually reproduces faster in warmer waters. And the fishes stung by them while in nets can't fetch good prices. So somewhere down the line, instead of taking losses from all the fishing trips and dumping the "useless" jellyfish, someone decided to try preparing jellyfish in a way that is acceptable for consumption. Then boomed, everyone followed suit and started fishing for them and selling.

To contribute to the thread,
since I'm Asian, none of the things shared so far is too weird for to try. But I really disliked Balut.

The weirdest one is probably "cow dung" soup in Laos. It's not really dung, but the remains of undigested fluid in their stomach.

It looks something like these, not my own pictures though.
401600043507b65a347c

9679645302234645988.jpg

There's a weird hipster restaurant opened near where I work that's ethos is 'not wasting any part of the animal' so the menu is full of bizarre offal and organ dishes. My mate went and said its actually reasonably priced and quite good, so I might check it out one day.

Duck hearts
Snails
Frog legs
Whale
Lamb brain
Haggis
Live maggot (ok this one was a bet)

Kiviak - birds(auk) fermented in seal skin.

cb97e116cfb36ccdf1bf7f9d3ef26f81.jpg

I really don’t recommend anyone try this unless they’re from Iceland or maybe East Asia.

I've had sweetbreads......which are neither sweet nor a bread.. "organ meat from the thymus gland and pancreas"

I've had chicken hearts at a Brazilian meat house.

Escargot....but is was basically soaked in butter and garlic.
Reminds of Red Dragon where Hannibal preps Sweetbreads with human organs!

oC0bNjTU8tQg9OX9Gq10UsYgQiaSuj7k3alQlUFxstKqOjV2z7_3MS_mJqrueTV-32RYNXXjCK7_5mRqzkBQfsvIk7rB7mD5iAi9oYAtLGHgppMzS-vqAUePe1M5hL5fS3L1wnDTBYgJlrzgMb23OVi5M3cEeeOfvg8A8355TIQ

I dunno. I'm down with anything as long as it can be identified as meat / muscle of the animal or an organ. Once you're just taking a mouthful of whatever it is, plus whatever it ate, plus who knows what parts of its insides, then I'm out.

Bacon and cheese/sour cream and onion
crick-ettes.jpg

Didnt really taste like anything...dropped one on the floor and my dog passed so would not recommend

Bacon and cheese/sour cream and onion
View attachment 728559

Didnt really taste like anything...dropped one on the floor and my dog passed so would not recommend
It depends how they are cooked. I’ve had em Mexican style with lime and Chile and it’s pretty much all about just having some crunch with the spice and lime.
I’ve had em in China as well and they are pretty much like pop chips not much flavor but just enough to crunch on.

Balut (duck fetus)
View attachment 728495

Tuslob buwa (pig brain gravy)
View attachment 728499

This is why its hard for me to post my weird food here because to us jungle Asians these Balot shit aint weird hahaha the old man vendor sells that every evening yelling Baluut Baluut. .

Then in the Morning Taho!! Taho!!.

So I pick a Japanese cousine which is Uni!! Uni!!

I think I am turning Japanese or Javanese.. or

Unless you are paying $20+, you are probably getting sugared water and something the appears like bird nest.

It's common in Japan, Taiwan, Malaysia and Singapore.
A little back story, why we started eating jellyfish. 10+ years ago, fisherman are getting tons and tons of jellyfish caught in their net due to the warming of ocean water. Jellyfish actually reproduces faster in warmer waters. And the fishes stung by them while in nets can't fetch good prices. So somewhere down the line, instead of taking losses from all the fishing trips and dumping the "useless" jellyfish, someone decided to try preparing jellyfish in a way that is acceptable for consumption. Then boomed, everyone followed suit and started fishing for them and selling.

To contribute to the thread,
since I'm Asian, none of the things shared so far is too weird for to try. But I really disliked Balut.

The weirdest one is probably "cow dung" soup in Laos. It's not really dung, but the remains of undigested fluid in their stomach.

It looks something like these, not my own pictures though.
401600043507b65a347c

9679645302234645988.jpg
Balut can smell like a bad fart

Back