Weird that jiu jitsu still isn't an Olympic sport

det_regnar_på_vår_kärlek

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
MMA would require several adaptations, but jiu jitsu is basically cut out to be an Olympic sport. Why it isn't there yet? Politics? Because most medals would basically go to two countries (the US and Brazil)? We now have skateboarding FFS (not complaining, it was very entertaining to watch it).

Last edited:
If grappling ever becomes olympic it will be the World United Wrestling version. First it's way more exciting than the ibjjf rules and second they got close ties to the olympic committee.

Let's be real as of today IBJJF matches are soporific 90% of the time. Plus nobody wants to see people doing this at the olympics :

Jiu-Jitsu Officially Announced As An Event For The 2024 Olympics

https://www.jiujitsutimes.com/jiu-jitsu-officially-announced-as-an-event-for-the-2024-olympics/

2 second google..
On second thought, this doesn't look legit...
"“Because we wanted to separate our sport in the Olympics from Judo, we are specifying it as Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu or Gracie Jiu-Jitsu. As part of the opening ceremony for the Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu event will include a collective bow to a portrait of Helio Gracie and Carlos Gracie Sr. We will also not be allowing teams that identify their style as American Jiu-Jitsu to participate because they are a threat to the shield of jiu-jitsu.”"

Fake news!

If grappling ever becomes olympic it will be the World United Wrestling version. First it's way more exciting than the ibjjf rules and second they got close ties to the olympic committee.

Let's be real as of today IBJJF matches are soporific 90% of the time. Plus nobody wants to see people doing this at the olympics :

On second thought, this doesn't look legit...
"“Because we wanted to separate our sport in the Olympics from Judo, we are specifying it as Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu or Gracie Jiu-Jitsu. As part of the opening ceremony for the Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu event will include a collective bow to a portrait of Helio Gracie and Carlos Gracie Sr. We will also not be allowing teams that identify their style as American Jiu-Jitsu to participate because they are a threat to the shield of jiu-jitsu.”"

Fake news!

LOL

Look at the date of the article..
1 Apr 2021

:p

As a grappler I'm not sure I want it as an Olympic sport, I like it as it is now and the Olympics has the potential to change it.

Plus just about everybody would fail the drug tests lol.

Yeah thanks God. IBJJF is only the gracie cash machine as of today, its matches are in vast majority boring as hell for anybody who wants to see entertaining grappling. As i said the UWW ruleset is much more exciting and if grappling makes it here it will be that format.
There are other jiu jitsu governing bodies around the world and rules would have to be adapted anyway. They wouldn't just choose a given organization's ruleset and adopt it without further changes.

Not only has it made me smarter, but it also made me more attractive and increased my libido by 72%.
VpqM.gif

Look at Judo and wrestling high intensity performance at the olympics, it’s night and day difference compared to bjj who will be laughed at when they get aired on international stage.

Back