Weird take, but I'm not mad at that robbery

MMA

Silver Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Notice I said robbery. I mean (bafflingly) Kflo said he though Johnson won the third... um NOPE

But Johnson won rounds 1 and 2.

So why am I not mad at that robbery? Because towards the end of the second Beniel figured Johnson out completely and outclassed him from there.

Once Beniel got the range and timing, Johnson couldn't hit him and Beniel hit him at will.

I have little to no doubt that this fight will go down as one of the worst robberies in recent memory. Despite Beniel legitimately taking over, he did it too late and Johnson should have won.

But of all the robberies I've seen, I'm pretty much the least mad at this one. At least the guy who stole the win this time was able to prove he was the smarter, better fighter despite the rough early going. Usually you have a fight that is sort of remotely competitive but the better fighter loses and everyone's pissed.

Would have loved to see five rounds of that. Johnson was slowing down so much and missing a lot more.

Johnson coasted the 3rd round because he thought he had the first two rounds in the bag.

Bad move.

I'm not mad either. I like Beneil, he's a total dark horse with a wicked ground game & looked pretty good in the stand up.

Was a great fight but clear RD1&2 for MJ.

RD2 was closest & best, imo.

Would have loved to see five rounds of that. Johnson was slowing down so much and missing a lot more.

He actually didn't look tired to me. Beniel just made an adjustment and figured out Johnson's pattern. He was able to find a range where he could slip Johnson's predictable 1-2s but get just out of range barely (as you're supposed to) and was able to land his jab from there which really made Johnson look like a fish out of water.

It was a classic case of just being figured out. 5 rounds I simply don't see how Johnson wins -- Beniel is one of the smartest fighters in the UFC, period. Johnson is not. Beniel can make adjustments to find a winning strategy when things look grim, but the vast, vast majority of fighters cannot.

I thought it was really close and all came down to round 2. I'll admit I am drunk so my perspective is fucked, but I had no problem with either fighter winning, and have no emotional connection to either.

Johnson coasted the 3rd round because he thought he had the first two rounds in the bag.

Bad move.

Certainly possible, but he was starting to slow down even in the 2nd, so I'm thinking fatigue was starting to set in.

He actually didn't look tired to me. Beniel just made an adjustment and figured out Johnson's pattern. He was able to find a range where he could slip Johnson's predictable 1-2s but get just out of range barely (as you're supposed to) and was able to land his jab from there which really made Johnson look like a fish out of water.

It was a classic case of just being figured out. 5 rounds I simply don't see how Johnson wins -- Beniel is one of the smartest fighters in the UFC, period. Johnson is not. Beniel can make adjustments to find a winning strategy when things look grim, but the vast, vast majority of fighters cannot.

I actually agree with your OP and assessment, but I think MJ was starting to slow down in the second. I was listening to Rogan's Fight Companion and he thought he was starting to slow down in the 2nd as well, along with Schaub.

I agree but for different reasons. While Dariush looked better in the 3rd a lot of that had to do with MJ coasting.

But I'm still glad it happened so hopefully this sends a message for guys to go for it more.

This is why your thought process is shit. If there was a 4th round, MJ may have figured out that Beniel figured out his timing and range and changed his gameplan up accordingly. Shit thread is a shit thread.

Deneil had a great 3rd round and was showing a brilliant jab and range striking, Johnson won the first 2 rounds but was pathetic in the 3rd,

You leave it to the judges, this is what happens.

Back