Weili Zhang training hard for her title fight

Zhang looking elite and poised for success, wow

I get that, but are we gonna overlook the possibility that she may have started to lose resolve and focus? To be winning so thoroughly and you're still getting walked down and pressured could have fucked with her head. Happens all the time.
Couple that with her desire to smoke bud and tend a garden, I'm not sure it isn't an example of subconscious self sabotage. That's all.

Zhang don't want no garden, she wants to plant her opponents, that's it. I see it as a big advantage.
Namajunas had demonstrated a high level of resolve in her last two fights, so it'd take quite a bit of evidence for me to think that she was mentally crumbling against Andrade; and it's not like Namajunas is a knockout artist who couldn't knock someone out.

Namajunas had demonstrated a high level of resolve in her last two fights, so it'd take quite a bit of evidence for me to think that she was mentally crumbling against Andrade; and it's not like Namajunas is a knockout artist who couldn't knock someone out.
Your criteria is higher than mine, bc I think she exhibits plenty of the hallmarks of mental blocks. Again, I'm not talking the 1/1000 way she got koed that shit can happen, you're correct.

But it's not like she doesn't have a documented history of mental health issues. She sat out for so long after being on that bus, afraid to leave the house, etc. She was in brazil, a notoriously tough crowd on non Brazilians.

Is it *possible* that she was performing so well in rd.1 because her adrenaline was pumping and she slowed down when JA was still pressing?I think it's a fairly accurate theory, and if you don't, I'm ok with that.
I think she fought her ass off thru sheer panic and when that didn't work, she began to slow, and made a bad call by looking to land a standing kimura on a short girl who lands big slams quite often

Rose was always going to lose to Andrade. Rose having Joanna's card was clouding peoples better judgement.

Excited for this fight though.

She does, yes. But if these athletes keep giving winks and nods to gong fu and the old arts, then you're not going to see muay thai places and wrestling places pop up in china alongside bjj places, you're going to see more of the traditional arts. "Chinese people" is not a reference to her, it's a reference to chinese people.
Muay Thai places are popping up in China

Rose was always going to lose to Andrade. Rose having Joanna's card was clouding peoples better judgement.

Excited for this fight though.
Amen. JJ had a point when she said rose wouldn't be able to meet the demands of being a reigning, defending champ the way she herself had. Rose was no doubt motivated by JJs constant shit talk, and sparked her in the first rd. And won the rematch, but many here on sherdog predicted Andrade was a stylistic threat to Rose, and the time off after the rematch only strengthened that theory. JJ coming up short doesn't invalidate her assessment.

Rose went to Brazil and headlined against a game JA, and I think her early domination was a result of nerves, she went all out in the 1st and looked to be on her way to a one sided stoppage. But then the adrenaline slowed, and JA was still pressing Rose. So, in an attempt to get the whole ordeal over with she overcommitted to an ill advised standing kimura and never released it until crashing on her head.
Not to say rose couldn't have won, but she rushed a finish attempt and got finished.

I thought the belt might be a hot potatoe, until they matched her with Zhang, a girl who can replicate JJs approach to carve andrade up. If any girl is poised to be a long defending champ, I'd argue it's Zhang and not Andrade.

She sat out for so long after being on that bus, afraid to leave the house, etc.
She wasn't fighting because she had spinal stenosis. And don't forget, she defeated Joanna in a five round fight the day after that dolly incident.

She wasn't fighting because she had spinal stenosis. And don't forget, she defeated Joanna in a five round fight the day after that dolly incident.
I'm aware of that, I'm not knocking Rose as a fighter. I'm saying she didn't come thru what in hindsight, was a stacked deck. Time off is time off, hostile territory is hostile territory, and Rose emptied the clip and JA was still there, looking to get in roses kitchen and eat. That's not a knock on Rose, I'm not implying she's a mental midget. I'm arguing that the UFC may have overestimated her chances and stacked the deck a bit too high.

But the shaved head, reciting the lords prayer when being shittalked, and sounding relieved to not be champ since it's more drama than it's worth to her are all very clear indicators of a hit and miss competitor.
I'm sure you've seen guys in the gym who can't leave their thinking and emotion at the door and it always changes how they train. Sometimes they rise to the occasion, but often they waste gas, nervous energy.

I'm just of the belief that rose is not exempt from things like pressure, hostile atmosphere, and a tough stylistic match up. If it seemed harsh, it wasn't my intention. You're a quality poster, so I'm attempting to clarify what I meant, and I hope you can see where I'm coming from.

Cheers

That's good. Let's keep having some more of that.

You talk like there aren't still McDojos peppered all over the U.S. as well as all those pseudo psychic martial arts with several followers.

Chinese MMA has been around for a long time and they have already started to catch on for some time now.

You talk like there aren't still McDojos peppered all over the U.S. as well as all those pseudo psychic martial arts with several followers.

Chinese MMA has been around for a long time and they have already started to catch on for some time now.
Sure there are, but they're poorly attended. Even you admit that with your "several" quantifier. Furthermore, they're not glorified in the public.

I have to admit I'm not sure the extent to which they have caught up. Perhaps its more than I'm aware of. But it has certainly made absolutely no dent in Chinese culture, in discussions with Chinese people, or any encounters that I've had. I hope you're right, but I hope that sooner, rather than later, we see that manifested in chinese society.

Sure there are, but they're poorly attended. Even you admit that with your "several" quantifier. Furthermore, they're not glorified in the public.

I have to admit I'm not sure the extent to which they have caught up. Perhaps its more than I'm aware of. But it has certainly made absolutely no dent in Chinese culture, in discussions with Chinese people, or any encounters that I've had. I hope you're right, but I hope that sooner, rather than later, we see that manifested in chinese society.
Having a Chinese champion will probably have a huge impact on the UFC’s popularity in China.

Having a Chinese champion will probably have a huge impact on the UFC’s popularity in China.
Dude, yeah. That's why blockbusters here stateside have a good looking Asian or 2 somewhere, they do huge business in China as a result

Back