Weightlifting or sprinting 2 days a week more beneficial for bjj?

Graciebarra 847

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I train bjj and am looking to supplement my training with 2 days a week of either weightlifting or sprints.

My weightlifting program I would follow Bill starrs 5X5 2 day a week program.

1 day of the week-5X5 squats, Bench press, Pullups

1 day of the week 5X5 Deadlift, shoulder press, Rows

Or I could sprint 2 days a week. And it would be something like this.

Sprint for 30 seconds rest 4 minutes and slowly buildup to were I am sprinting close to a minute with only a 2 minute rest.

What would you guys do? I have never sprinted Will sprinting help me build muscle?

What do you want to get out of the workouts? From what you write one is for strength the other is for conditioning.

What do you want to get out of the workouts? From what you write one is for strength the other is for conditioning.

I want something that would be more beneficial to Brazilian jiu-jitsu! I have above average strength but am not freakishly strong! My conditioning is not as good as my strength. I would say my conditioning is a little below average!

My question to you would be.

Would sprinting help me build as much muscle as the 5X5 workout?

What workout do you think would be more beneficial to a bjj player?

Is there any 2 day a week program for 1 hour were I could build strength and conditioning at the same time?

1. Would sprinting help me build as much muscle as the 5X5 workout?

2. What workout do you think would be more beneficial to a bjj player?

Is there any 2 day a week program for 1 hour were I could build strength and conditioning at the same time?

1. Lul wut? Shouldn't even answer this, but no, sprinting will not build as much strength as a strength program would.

2. 5x5

3. At the same time? No. Same program? Yes. Look at the FAQ. I would use the two-day split, and add in some HIT/sprints on your off days or something similar.

1. Lul wut? Shouldn't even answer this, but no, sprinting will not build as much strength as a strength program would.

2. 5x5

3. At the same time? No. Same program? Yes. Look at the FAQ. I would use the two-day split, and add in some HIT/sprints on your off days or something similar.

That is the only time I have. I don't have days off were I could do hitt! The other days I am either with family, working, or doing bjj!

Lifting heavy will without a doubt have the more lasting and beneficial effect on your game. This is provided that A) Your cardio is not *horrible* and B) That your diet is in shape.

HIT = High intensity training, a bunch of one set to failure nonsense that's about as useless as the nautilus machines with which it was associated.

HIIT = High intensity interval training. Busting your ass, recovery, repeat for conditioning results.

Why not lift, then sprint afterward? That's what I'd do. Or lift and find an hour for sprints somewhere else in the week.

Your sprinting protocol seems weird though. Most people program sprints by distance. So instead of saying "sprint for 30 s," you'd run 200m or whatever distance you want.

Sprinting can help add muscle if you don't have much to begin with, but it primarily adapts for power. However the longer the sprints, the further you are towards endurance on the continuum.

BJJ involves resistance grappling with other people.

Sprinting = minimal resistance
Lifting= resistance.

Lifting translates better to bjj than sprinting would. I suggest adding core work, as the core is very important in combat sports in general. If you have cardio issues at the basic level. Do tons of roadwork / low intensity exercises to build it up first. If your resting heart rate is not in the low 50's you could probably benefit from long durations of light exercise. It's a little harder to do for bjj, but I usually shadow box for 90 minutes at 140-150 bpm. I mix in some sprawls, takedowns, hip escapes, etc. Andre Galvao has a great book on bjj drills if you're interested.

BJJ involves resistance grappling with other people.

Sprinting = minimal resistance
Lifting= resistance.

Lifting translates better to bjj than sprinting would. I suggest adding core work, as the core is very important in combat sports in general. If you have cardio issues at the basic level. Do tons of roadwork / low intensity exercises to build it up first. If your resting heart rate is not in the low 50's you could probably benefit from long durations of light exercise. It's a little harder to do for bjj, but I usually shadow box for 90 minutes at 140-150 bpm. I mix in some sprawls, takedowns, hip escapes, etc. Andre Galvao has a great book on bjj drills if you're interested.

Thanks for the info! Cardio has never been my strength. I believe me resting heart rate may be 70-72 beats per minute! I should probably do some low intensity exercises being that I am very green when it comes to Cardio!

You make a good point also about when your lifting you are dealing with resistance.

Weight lifting translates much better IMO. As sprinting does not translate well into BJJ.

By getting stronger, all the pushing and pulling moves done in BJJ will be less taxing. Also, grappling at 100 percent with someone who is better than you will also improve not only your conditioning, but techniques and tactics as well.

Note that a lot of your conditioning deficiencies may even come from inefficient techniques and tactics. It is usually the guy that dictates the pace (If he does it smartly and properly) who expends less energy, because he is in control of when to explode, and when to rest.

You may be better conditioned than some of the people who you grapple with, but if they are the ones dictating the pace, know when to expend their energy, expend it efficiently, and know when to rest, it is not going to seem that way.

And if they are stronger than you, it just makes it that much worse.

Last edited:
I would suggest you incorporate some running. By that I mean distance running aswell as sprints. It's what I do and I swear by it. All fighters despite their martial art run. Boxers, Judo fighters, Wrestlers, MMA fighters, you name it: all of them do their roadwork. Strength training is fine, but remember BJJ like all combat sports is a skill sport. Skills and conditiong are far more important than strength work. I don't care how much you lift in the gym, the second you get puffed and out of breath, you're finished and your strength means nothing.

I would suggest you incorporate some running. By that I mean distance running aswell as sprints. It's what I do and I swear by it. All fighters despite their martial art run. Boxers, Judo fighters, Wrestlers, MMA fighters, you name it: all of them do their roadwork. Strength training is fine, but remember BJJ like all combat sports is a skill sport. Skills and conditiong are far more important than strength work. I don't care how much you lift in the gym, the second you get puffed and out of breath, you're finished and your strength means nothing.

That assumes thar your cardio is so much less than everyone else you fight.

Conversely if you are so much weaker you will get overpowered quickly.

I dont think your post explains why conditioning >>>> cardio.

Note that a lot of your conditioning deficiencies may even come from inefficient techniques and tactics. It is usually the guy that dictates the pace (If he does it smartly and properly) who expends less energy, because he is in control of when to explode, and when to rest.

You may be better conditioned than some of the people who you grapple with, but if they are the ones dictating the pace, know when to expend their energy, expend it efficiently, and know when to rest, it is not going to seem that way.

I think this is a valid point however my Cardio is pedestrian like! If I had to run a 5 mile race with guys that I train with I would probably lose to most of them (whitebelts included).

That assumes thar your cardio is so much less than everyone else you fight.

Conversely if you are so much weaker you will get overpowered quickly.

I dont think your post explains why conditioning >>>> cardio.

Bullshit. Read EVERYTHING carefully. All paragraphs.I have wrestled most of my life. I have been in the clinch with guys who can Bench Press 130KG and I can still nail them with a Hip Toss or Headlock Throw. I can still secure an Overhook, lower my level, grab their leg and slam them with a Firemans Carry. Pretty impressive for someone such as myself who does not lift weights huh ? What's even more impressive is the look of rude shock they grunt as they hit the mat. What's even more impressive is when they the get puffed because then I can shoot in for a single leg and no way can they sprawl in time.

My post was directed to the original poster. Strength training is fine but conditioning is king on the mat. That means good cardio. Any form of grappling requires you to be a cardio-machine. I suppose it all depends on how much time you have to devote to training. I work a full time job too so doing everything can be too much. Assuming the original poster does BJJ 2-3 times per week, it's good. APart from that, I recoommend running. FInd some time for running. Try and go for a 3km run. Bump it up to 5km when you can and finish with a few set's of Hill Sprints. Hill sprints are a killer. WIthin no time, he'll have outstanding cardio and yes, he will notice the differece on the mat. Oh and it does not matter how much weight you can pile on a Barbell, when you get winded , you ain't overpowering anyone.

I have been in the clinch with guys who can Bench Press 130KG and I can still nail them with a Hip Toss or Headlock Throw.

Wow, you must be the fucking man. I can't believe you can take down guys who bench press 130 KG!

My old BJJ instructor was a wrestler and lifted heavy just as often, if not more, than he trained BJJ. He NEVER ran, he did all his cardio through intervals with weights and from live rolling, and his cardio was insane for BJJ and wrestling. I never saw him get more tired than the guy he was grappling against.

Oh and it does not matter how much weight you can pile on a Barbell, when you get winded , you ain't overpowering anyone.

That's great, but it also doesn't matter how far you can run when a stronger man than you dictates the pace and position of a match, because you aint getting the chance to wear him down with your conditioning.

That's great, but it also doesn't matter how far you can run when a stronger man than you dictates the pace and position of a match, because you aint getting the chance to wear him down with your conditioning.

Precisely the point I was driving at.

Back