Weightlifter dies after 315-pound barbell drops on his neck

I guess I should've clarified, I meant suicide grip. I've always used a full thumbs-wrapped grip, the idea of a thumbless grip never occurred to me, until I saw it on teh interwebs
Helps keep the elbows tucked as mentioned, basically engaging the triceps more in the lift. Also helps in killing yourself

cgUXjEe.gif

This is why I don't even lift....

Not.

I just use the rack, never killed my self.

Crazy story though, my cousins fiancé doesn't in exactly this way. It was like 15 years ago now I guess and he was lifting alone in his apartment and just had a bench set up and was fairly strong I guess.

He went missing for a few days finally the police or fire department or somebody axed down the door and they found him still on the bench but dead as fuck.

It's all good though, in the haze of crippling depression my cousin went on some fuck binge across Europe and met a much cooler husband (who trains legs too rather than just bench). Cool guy, he's a firefighter and was in the marines for like 10 years.

I've seen a video of a Russian Powerlifter who died after dropping 180 on his chest during a meet. The spotters failed to catch the bar in time. A few minutes later he collapsed and was taken to hospital, where he died due to internal injuries.

I've seen a video of a Russian Powerlifter who died after dropping 180 on his chest during a meet. The spotters failed to catch the bar in time. A few minutes later he collapsed and was taken to hospital, where he died due to internal injuries.

That sucks.

I've never benched outside a power rack with rails in a long time now. And everyone should do the same really... spotters just can't catch a bar that slips suddenly out of the hands.

I've never benched outside a power rack with rails in a long time now. And everyone should do the same really... spotters just can't catch a bar that slips suddenly out of the hands.

wow, the phone vibrated and distracted him causing a near death accident. My headphone cord got caught a couple of times while lifting and it could have been something bad

Last edited:
I guess I should've clarified, I meant suicide grip. I've always used a full thumbs-wrapped grip, the idea of a thumbless grip never occurred to me, until I saw it on teh interwebs
Suicide grip tends to Be easier on the shoulders but should not be used for heavy ass weights because if it slips you are fubarred obvs with teh 275. When i had my SLAP tear suicide grip benefited me for light weight pressing when i was able to bench. But its dumb at heavy loads.

I find it really annoying that people bench press outside a power rack and that there even exist bench press stations. You can bench press in a power rack just the same as on a bench press station with the bar on your chest because your chest sticks out during the lift. When you fail your can just drop your chest to such a height that the bar falls on the safety. This stuff really bugs me haha.

He mentions the same incident I did, regarding the Russian lifter who died.

I'm "lucky". I've been dealing with a shoulder impingement over the last year or so, and switched to hex press as I can dumbbell bench with a hammer grip. Although there are still risks - I saw one guy do hex press to failure and nearly drop the DB's on his face - it's still safer than barbell bench.

spotter present???
they must be second guessing their technique!

Makes me glad I've just got a POWER RACK for my garage..

I would venture to guess that it's more likely it had to do with a bad lift off or hand off rather than the grip. I see people reaching way back over their head to unrack the bar all the time, that's a bad spot to be under near maximal weight.

I had a weight bench growing up and through high school. I'd max out every now and then and rarely used a spotter since I didn't have anyone around. I didn't know what the hell I was doing on my hand me down weight bench from the 70s. I would load up near my 5 rep max and I just wouldn't clamp the weights on to the bar. Whenever I was nearing my limit or I couldnt get the bar off my chest I would just tilt the bar to the left and right and let the plates slide off. I always used a standard grip. That suicide grip never even crossed my mind. I've had times when I had no spotter and I had the weights clamped on to the bar. I had to lower the weight on to my chest, roll the bar down my chest to my waist area and then do a sit up so I could get my legs under me then stand up with the bar. I learned my lesson and went with the no clamps from then on. I was stuck in the garage alone wondering how I'd get that weight off my chest.

Thumbless for tucking in the elbows? Jesus christ, almost dying for the sake of saying you lifted a heavy weight. Never understood the charm.

Back