Weighted pushups vs Bench Press?

omgitsrick

Green Belt
Reaction score
I heard from someone pushups are better because they work your rotator cuffs more and get you more explosive. I was a bit skeptical but decided to ask you guys what you think. I might just do both bench AND pushups if theres any truth to this.

Also how would you do weighted pushups without a weight vest? I have a big camping style backpack that I could probably fit a plate into, but thats about it.

I heard from someone pushups are better because they work your rotator cuffs more and get you more explosive. I was a bit skeptical but decided to ask you guys what you think. I might just do both bench AND pushups if theres any truth to this.

Also how would you do weighted pushups without a weight vest? I have a big camping style backpack that I could probably fit a plate into, but thats about it.

Yes pushups make you more explosive- bench press is for slow strength

For weighted pushups I use a pair of midget lesbians on my back making out.

The idea of midget lesbians makes me wish there was such a thing as lower case numbers.
As it is, you have to go to a smaller font if you want to reference midget 69.
Too much work.

Pushups FTW... but only because I messed up my hand and currently have issues holding the bar securely.
:(

Pics of said lesbians?

O-Dick-w-midgets.jpg

Although weighted pushups may have some benefits over the bench press, it is much more difficult to work with maximal loads and it is harder to make consistent increments in loading for progression. They are better for higher repetition work (either for conditioning or as a supplementary movement) while the press and bench press are better for working with maximal weights. Naturally working with maximal loads leads to faster increases in strength which is why some form of press should remain a staple in most people's routines.

Personally I use sandbags for weighted pushups. I use multiple 10 lb bags in a sturdy backpack.

If you have a sturdy backpack it's easy to throw a few plates in there and do weighted pushups. I actually prefer the movement to the bench press...if you've got fractional plates you can progress in increments very easily, and if you have a workout partner the setup isn't very hard. If you have some hex dumbells or something you can use those as handles, I really don't like doing them with my hands flat on the floor, it kills my wrists.

They're especially great for people who work out at home because you need minimal gear to do them and you don't need a spot.

Nice work Acetay.
Hunto can I borrow them next week?

Sure Blake you can have them for a whole week. I'm getting 2 Amazons to wrestle on my back while I do pushups, going for a PR.

Although weighted pushups may have some benefits over the bench press, it is much more difficult to work with maximal loads and it is harder to make consistent increments in loading for progression. They are better for higher repetition work (either for conditioning or as a supplementary movement) while the press and bench press are better for working with maximal weights. Naturally working with maximal loads leads to faster increases in strength which is why some form of press should remain a staple in most people's routines.

Personally I use sandbags for weighted pushups. I use multiple 10 lb bags in a sturdy backpack.

Yeah it would probably be best as a supplement. I never intended to stop benching anyway.

I just get a friend at the gym to place weight plates on my back. I find itworks the core a little more and form stays better cos u dont want the pate to slide off.

What are your goals?

Strength, endurance, rehab, explosiveness

why don't u lift bench explosively?

I do I guess, I bring it down slowly and explode back up. The question here should I add in weighted pushups, and do they benefit you more than the benchpress?

imo push ups use your core more. My only complaint about them is that it's hard to add weight once you get pretty strong. I was tussling with a backpack and four 25 pound plates trying to load it up.

Yeah that is my complaint with weighted push-ups... you can only go so far with them IMO

Yeah someone else said this earlier on page 1, I'd have to agree. Maybe weighted clap push ups or something would be nice.

Maybe weighted clap push ups or something would be nice.

Yes. I was going to say that. I love doing push-ups. You can also use the a wheel and do different variations. But, yeah...like everyone else says...it can get hard to add more weight somehow. Best is to mix it up with benching as well.

Back