weighted dips and chin ups

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by ryanisgrreat, Sep 27, 2010.

1. ryanisgrreat

ryanisgrreat White Belt

hey do you guys think it would be a bad idea to do weighted dips/chin ups everyday? perhaps doing one a day and alternating? any advice would be helpful... and yes i know im a white belt and im not using perfect grammar.

2. FiveFeezy

FiveFeezy Orange Belt

I think that everyday would be too much. Treat it like any other strength training exercise, giving time for rest and recovery.

3. milano

milano I am the Walrus

What else are you doing?

4. ryanisgrreat

ryanisgrreat White Belt

right now its a mix between wrestling and lifting... currently its usually work out 1 day, wrestle the next. usually the workouts are 100 chin ups and then forearms and arms... next workout is deadlifts, cleans, squats, etc.

5. scoopj

scoopj ackson

It's too much. Every other day is more than sufficient.

6. ryanisgrreat

ryanisgrreat White Belt

alright, thank you for the help.

7. Miiiiiiighty

Miiiiiiighty Silver Belt

This guy speaks the truth

8. BoxingFan123

BoxingFan123 Purple Belt

I do weighted chin ups/ pull ups daily switching between the two

I do weighted dips once a week

9. TrevorRoss

TrevorRoss Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Dips and Chins are the upper body Squat and Deadlift, so do them intelligently and often.

10. Revok

Revok Brown Belt

Bodyweight dips or chins can be done everyday for some excellent endurance and hypertrophy benefits (google 'greasing the groove'). If you're particularly strong and have good recovery and joint health you could think about adding in some very low weights and see how you go, but don't push it.

A couple of times I've done 100 chins in pyramid sets every day for a couple of months, and with a dip 3rm of 80kg @ 90kg BW, and I never added more than 10kg to my daily GTG chins.

Don't expect massive strength gains from this either - you'll have to put your low rep work in the chosen movements on hold for the duration.

11. Ungodly

Ungodly White Belt

For adequate time to recover, I'd recommend going heavy on dips one day, then heavy on chins the next session. Tendonitis isn't very fun.

12. TheBrokenVow

TheBrokenVow Green Belt

Too much for my liking. You'll see great strength gains sticking to 5 sets of 3-5 reps, and performing them twice a week.

13. Vortex177

Vortex177 White Belt

You can do dips and chins every day. I did them every day for 4 weeks gradually working up to 300 of each in one day. The only question is, is it working for you?

Typically as you get stronger and move more weight you start to need a little more time to recover so you may need to take days off from them.

So, just try it and see.

14. Bank

Bank White Belt

Be careful when you start to go heavy. I've been doing weighted pullups for years, usually one to two days a week, it's a great exercise that really helped my bjj.

But early this summer I decided to get a little more serious and jumped up the weight and frequency (plus I started rock climbing more) and really messed up my elbow. First I felt a little strain in my right forearm. Since it felt like it was in the muscle, I just rolled it out and didn't worry about it. Two weeks later, my elbow suddenly hurts to touch and any sort of pull - deadlifts, pullups, climbing, curls, even brushing my teeth - is really painful.

I've taken more than three months off and it's still sore but finally improving.

Treat your elbows with care!

:icon_cry2

For what it's worth, I weigh around 165lbs and was maxing over 110lbs and up to doing 5 sets with reps of eight at 65lbs.

15. eastNYgoon138

eastNYgoon138 Green Belt

Why not check out some of the training logs, see how often guys train weighted pullups and dips, before starting a thread...

16. HH

HH Fighting The Dork

Everyday is too much. Those movements are pretty taxing on your body.

17. HH

HH Fighting The Dork

Pull-ups and rope climping are some of the best exercises for BJJ and grappling.