Weight Vest

docent

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Does any of you guys use weight vest? I'm thinking about using it during bjj/muay thai/mma trainings. Did anyone try that? If yes, have you noticed increased speed/stamina/strengh?

why would you do that? How do you expect a weighted vest would improve your speed/stamina/strength? Will it make it more difficult? probably. Will it improve anything? I think you've got better, less expensive options. I anticipate that to learn to conserve energy, you will simply learn to minimize the movement of the vested part of you. ergo: more tendency to use your limbs and less tendency to use your core or drive energy through your core as part of a link in a larger chain.

Does any of you guys use weight vest? I'm thinking about using it during bjj/muay thai/mma trainings. Did anyone try that? If yes, have you noticed increased speed/stamina/strengh?

fedor wears one

Weight vest push-ups are legit. Possibly even too legit to quit.

Weight vest push-ups are legit. Possibly even too legit to quit.

mchammer.jpg

Don't use it for any MA. It will limit your movement and make your core and possibly hips used alot less than you normaly would without it. Weight vests are good for pushups, dips, pull ups, chins, running, etc.

I have seen many MMA people using these things, but i believe they only wear it when conditioning - not during technique work outs such as Muay Thai or BJJ.

I'd only use it for conditioning. Try a weighted back pack for awhile and see if you notice a difference. I wear one on hikes and when I'm walking the dog or pushing the stroller. It will help your stamina.

I have a 75lb vest...i would not suggest wearing one during training bjj/mt, as you will probably hurt yourself.

Use it for conditioning. I like to do jump squats, pistols, push ups, burpees...

Also, I think i may start hill sprints with it on.

When training bjj/mt concentrate on your technique.

Most of the stuff I've read about using weight while doing skill work indicate that it'll screw with your motor patterns as certain areas have to over compensate for the weight.

*waits for Herbie to show up and warn of the dangers of wearing a weight vest while jogging through the park*

*waits for Herbie to show up and warn of the dangers of wearing a weight vest while jogging through the park*

It's only dangerous if you're not a Jew or Christian. Our country is fucked up when a nice young man can't even do his terrorist training in the park without the man hassling him.

Back on topic: the seals swim in weighted vests for training.

I use a 40lb vest when I do dips and lunges. I like the results Im getting from it, but I dont do any type of training in terms of bjj or boxing with it on. I think It will affect your technique if you have it on and hinder your progress.

It's only dangerous if you're not a Jew or Christian. Our country is fucked up when a nice young man can't even do his terrorist training in the park without the man hassling him.

Back on topic: the seals swim in weighted vests for training.

rofl, my terrorist err... weight vest training is strictly cardiovascular. but once I get the stamina to do stairs for about an hour with my vest (and ankle) weights then I go back to the gym with it

btw one day I played basketball with 25 lbs on. I wore it as a handicap for my bro who doesn't train at all), anyways, it was challenging but not impossible.

On topic: if you try wrestling someone with a vest that has hard objects (lead or what not) you will hurt yourself or your partner

it's a good conditioning tool....however there are better methods for strength training ...also dont use it during MA as you risk injury..

burpees, hindu squats, mountain climbers, grasshoppers, plyometrics, pull ups, push ups, sprints, intervals, density training, long distance training, circuits, etc......

Does it help build strenth in your legs while walking around with one on for a certain amount of time per week?

Also, if you are doing squats with free weights, is it ok to wear one, or, would that cause you to get hurt?

Back