weight training for jiu jitsu

JJd2sc

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been asked a few times, but I couldn't find an answer for me through search...

I am 165 or so pounds and am 6'0". Speed and flexibility are my two most valuable assets. I am not quite sure what kind of set/rep load I should be doing to help me get stronger. I know 10-12 gets into pure endurance, and i've read that 1-6 is generally strength and speed. When I used to lift before jiu jitsu, I was doing a lot of 8x3 lifts and that got me a lot larger (up to 180), but that might have been largely due to the caloric increase.

So what I am asking is this: What kind of load for my exercises should I do to get me stronger, but not hurt my muscle endurance?

I'm going to help you out hear before you get flamed. read the faq

5x5 is good, or West side for skinny bastards
read the FAQ

i am noticing, however, it doesn't give much specifics on rep range, which is my primary reason for making this thread.

Should I be erring more towards low reps or high reps to gain strength while keeping muscle endurance?

low reps heavy weights to gain strength brutha. if you want to gain strength and are a relative newb in powerlifting do the bill star 5 x5. i have beend doing it for about 2 months to gain functional strength for MMA and have added close to 150 lbs to my deadlift,40 lbs to my bench and 55 lbs to my squat, while only gaing about 10 lbs of body weight. this shit works!

i am noticing, however, it doesn't give much specifics on rep range, which is my primary reason for making this thread.

Should I be erring more towards low reps or high reps to gain strength while keeping muscle endurance?

you must be retarded. 6 reps or less motherfucker.

low reps heavy weights to gain strength brutha. if you want to gain strength and are a relative newb in powerlifting do the bill star 5 x5. i have beend doing it for about 2 months to gain functional strength for MMA and have added close to 150 lbs to my deadlift,40 lbs to my bench and 55 lbs to my squat, while only gaing about 10 lbs of body weight. this shit works!
Yeah, but 10 pounds might put him out of the 155 pound class. It seems like it would be hard to gain much strength on that lanky frame of yours without putting on any weight at all.

Yeah, but 10 pounds might put him out of the 155 pound class. It seems like it would be hard to gain much strength on that lanky frame of yours without putting on any weight at all.

Anyone here tried out the stuff in Pavel's book on gaining strength without gaining weight?

#1 in the FAQ
Q: How do I get stronger for bjj/judo/mma/tha boxing?

A: You get strong. Too many people fall into the trap of thinking there's some magical exercise that will make their training somehow more applicable to their art, bollocks. Strength is strength, go train heavy and hard and you'll find you get stronger on the mat or in the ring. One leg squats on a gym ball while avoiding a stick swung by an old man with a Fu Manchu moustache won't help.

Go HERE and read the rest

Back