Weight training after a shoulder dislocation

Sconse

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I dislocated my shoulder just over a week ago so I'm out of action from martial arts and lifting for at least 3 months. I want to keep my sanity, so I can't sit at home for 3 months doing nothing. I've been back to the gym once so far but obviously I'm very limited to what exercises I can do. I was wondering if any one could suggest any exercises I could perform without the use of my arms. So far I have come up with leg press, calf raises and step ups, holding a dumbbell, although its very difficult to hold onto the dumbbell for the entire set. I'm also going to be doing some cycling so that I don't completely lose my cardio. Any suggestions would be great.

DB snatches, DB clean & press, suitcase DLs, etc using the uninjured arm?

3 months eh. Its odd, I dislocated mine last friday, almost zero pain now, getting alot of my range of motion back. Im definitely not going to be lifting with the arm in the next few weeks/month but I think I should be ready for rehab before too long.

Yeah how did you do it? Depending on how bad it was it will affect your rehab. I did my right shoulder playing Rugby back in 2003, and 2 weeks after that I did the left falling out of a canoe. The right was back to like 90% after 6 weeks and my left still isn't 100%, as in it's my weak shoulders and I have to make sure not to overload it all the time or it will come out of joint.

You're lucky Andy. Sounds like you had a pretty easy one. I screwed mine up in November, had surgery in December and I just upped my DB OHP on that side to 40# today. I was totally immobile for about 4 months.

jesus man, I hope mines not just sneaking up on me and will not eventually require surgery. Im definitely going to take it easy on it but its one of those things that can go either away. How did your shoulder feel 5 days after? lol

A little better, but I couldn't lift it over parallel to the floor
Originally they diagnosed it as a shoulder separation, then a partial tear of 1 tendon. Decided on surgery due to my size and the fact that I'm active, though. Long story short, the MRI didn't show half the damage and my 45 minute scheduled surgery ended up lasting about 4 and a half hours.

Surgery01copy.jpg

Surgery02copy.jpg

Ya I guess I got lucky, Im still pissed Ill be out of training for atleast a few months; does not help. Sudden movements are still a bit painful (if I were to throw a punch or react to something it would kill) but I can go through ranges of motion pain free.

not gonna lie man, it looks like a dog chewed on your rotator cuff

Ya I guess I got lucky, Im still pissed Ill be out of training for atleast a few months; does not help. Sudden movements are still a bit painful (if I were to throw a punch or react to something it would kill) but I can go through ranges of motion pain free.

Yeah, I know how those sudden movements are. I tried catching stuff just out of reflex a couple times and it hurt like hell. I can't help but wonder if I did more damage waiting a month for the surgery. (Not that it was by my choice.)

If you want my advice, take it real easy on it, buy a sling and tie the damn thing to your waist.

o Iv been wearing the sling... most of the time. Im awful at that stuff

Me too, thus the advice. I was constantly trying to do shit with it not thinking and like I said, I kinda wonder if that made it worse.

Ill just have to keep telling myself that this is my retard arm. And we completely hi jacked this thread hahah

LOL, I noticed that too. Is it your dominant arm? This has REALLY sucked for me cause it's my right, and I'm right-handed.

well its the hand I write with, which sucks cause I had finals this week. My right hand is basically my strength hand though, so I still feel like I retain some manliness.

well its the hand I write with, which sucks cause I had finals this week. My right hand is basically my strength hand though, so I still feel like I retain some manliness.

Well, kiss my *ss. Just kidding, I'm jealous. My right is the hand I write with and my strong hand. Wait, my right hand is the hand I write with and WAS my strong hand.

Back