Weight loss

$uperman

Black Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
What are good exercises and training programs for weight loss?

What are good exercises and training programs for weight loss?
The Palis High Reps, low weight lifehack.

20x20x20x20x20 scheme

High reps = extreme muscle endurance that will allow you to push through workouts harder and stronger. Every week you do the same routine but increase the weight by 1.5kg and you will constantly gain strength/endurance

Day 1: Chest/Tris
Dumbell press 20x5
Dumbell flys 20x5
Incline Dumbell press 20x5
Incline Dumbell flys 20x5
Dips 20x5
Skullcrushers 20x5
Tri Pushdowns 20x5

Day 2: Bis/Back
Any variation of curls 20x5
Concentration curls ending it 20x5
Facepulls 20x5
Upright rows 20x5
Barbell shrugs 20x5
Bent over barbell rows 20x5
Wide grip lat pulldown 20x5

Day 3: Shoulders
Barbell Shoulder press 20x5
Dumbbells Shoulder press 20x5
Seated Lateral raises 20x5
Front plate raises 20x5
End workout 20x5 pullups

Day 4: Chest/Tris
Dumbell press 20x5
Dumbell flys 20x5
Dips 20x5
Skullcrushers 20x5
Tri Pushdowns 20x5

Day 5: Bis/Back
Facepulls 20x5
Upright rows 20x5
Barbell shrugs 20x5

Day 6: Shoulders
Front plate raises 20x5
End workout 20x5 pullups

Day 7: Rest

Restart, add 1.5kg, you will be beasting in 1-2months tops, imagine a year from now at the 1.5kg rate with these rep ranges/workouts. You're welcome in advance.

To expand on my brief, but somewhat serious post, the training program won't matter if you are in a caloric surplus, to lose weight, you need to be in a caloric deficit. Pick a program you can stick to, pick a way of eating you can stick to which has you in a deficit, and you should lose weight.

Training program really doesn't matter. Some activity is good. Consistency is more important that details. Whatever style of training or activity you enjoy, try to do it 3 - 5 times a week.

The trouble is an hour of exercise's worth of weightloss is the equivalent of a cookie and a beer/soda. You can't outwork a bad diet unless you are literally running marathons daily or swimming laps or chopping wood for multiple hours a day.

The most important thing is diet. Calculate your TDEE, count calories with an app, do keto or whatever style of dieting you want, whatever you can stick to long term. Eating less calories than you burn is all that matters.

Just to reiterate Taking in less energy (eating) than you burn is the only thing that matters for weightloss ultimately. The rest is just details.

Training program really doesn't matter. Some activity is good. Consistency is more important that details. Whatever style of training or activity you enjoy, try to do it 3 - 5 times a week.

The trouble is an hour of exercise's worth of weightloss is the equivalent of a cookie and a beer/soda. You can't outwork a bad diet unless you are literally running marathons daily or swimming laps or chopping wood for multiple hours a day.

The most important thing is diet. Calculate your TDEE, count calories with an app, do keto or whatever style of dieting you want, whatever you can stick to long term. Eating less calories than you burn is all that matters.

Yep.

I would add to stick with whatever program you’re currently doing unless it’s 100% hypertrophy focused. A mistake often made is to ease up on weight lifting and substitute with cardio. Yes, that will accelerate weight loss (although not by much), but it will also lead to loss of strength and lean body mass. You won’t make the same strength and size gains as you were while in a surplus (but you CAN still make gains while in a deficit, as long as it’s not extreme), but the point is not to lose any of the gains you made, while getting leaner.

Also, make sure to maintain your current protein intake, and maybe even up it by 10% or so. Manipulate carbs and/or fat to get your daily calories below maintenance, do not lower your protein.

The Palis High Reps, low weight lifehack.

20x20x20x20x20 scheme

High reps = extreme muscle endurance that will allow you to push through workouts harder and stronger. Every week you do the same routine but increase the weight by 1.5kg and you will constantly gain strength/endurance

Day 1: Chest/Tris
Dumbell press 20x5
Dumbell flys 20x5
Dips 20x5
Skullcrushers 20x5
Tri Pushdowns 20x5

Day 2: Bis/Back
Facepulls 20x5
Upright rows 20x5
Barbell shrugs 20x5

Day 3: Shoulders
Front plate raises 20x5
End workout 20x5 pullups

Day 4: Chest/Tris
Dumbell press 20x5
Dumbell flys 20x5
Dips 20x5
Skullcrushers 20x5
Tri Pushdowns 20x5

Day 5: Bis/Back
Facepulls 20x5
Upright rows 20x5
Barbell shrugs 20x5

Day 6: Shoulders
Front plate raises 20x5
End workout 20x5 pullups

Day 7: Rest

Restart, add 1.5kg, you will be beasting in 1-2months tops, imagine a year from now at the 1.5kg rate with these rep ranges/workouts. You're welcome in advance.
how long does each workout take?

I am not a novice.....do you think I can do them in <1h30min? What is the tempo needed on the lifts?
Yes. Strict form, medium tempo. You could switch it up every week and do more time under tension or faster reps.

If you want to lose weight you need less stress and better diet.
You can not out train a bad diet.
You can suplement with weight lifting or cardio or even both. However volume and intensity should be kept at reasonable levels to make up for the caloric deficit you are going to put your body at.

Other things you could work at is increase your daily activity - more walkig, more movement, especially if you have a desk job. I have added 30-40 mins walk during my lunch break and it works wonders for me.

So start with the diet. If weight lifting chose a training plan that has low volume and frequency of 3 max 4 times per week. Lower intensity is fine. If you chose a strength plan, make sure it has a good periodization. If you train 3 times per week add 1 or two cardio sessions. If 4 add 1 at most. You are good to go.

Here is what works very well for me. I have lost 4 kg in a month, while not losing much muscle
Rep range and progression on main lifts:
Week 1 12-15 reps - 30-60 sec rests feels like cardio
Week 2 4-6 reps - 3-4 mins rest
Week 3 6-8 reps 2-3 mins rest
Week 4 8-10 reps 1-2 min rest

If you are able to hit 15 reps on the main lift on week 1 - you increase the weight. If you are able to hit 6 reps on the main lift - increase the weight. If you are able to hit 8 reps on week 3 - increase the weight. If you are able to hit 10 reps on week 4 - increase the weight.
Progression on assistance lifts -- you do 1 set of 10 reps you feel it at 5/10 intensity. You do a 2nd set of 8 reps with a 7/10 intensity. You do 1 working set of 6 reps with an intensity 10/10. Once you are able to do 6 reps, you rest for 15 seconds and add 2-4 more reps. This is a rest pause set. Once you are able to do this with 4 reps - you add another rest pause set. Once you are able to make the double rest pause set - increase the weight and start over with 6 reps on the working set.

Main lifts are underlined

Workout 1 push
Bench 2 sets
Incline bench 2 sets

Skull crushers 1 sets
Push downs 1 sets
Over head triceps extension 1 set
Core work - farmer walks, 1 hand farmer walks, weighted crunches, leg rises, wood chops.

Workout 2 - pull
DL - 2 sets
Barbell Row - 2 sets
Vertical Pull downs or chin ups - 2 sets (I use chin ups on the 4-6 rep range)

Peck Deck - reverse flyes - 1 set
face pulls - 1 set

Rest

Workout 3 - legs + biceps + core
Front Squat - 4 sets
Squat - 4 sets

Biceps Barbel Curls - 1 set
Preacher Curls - 1 set
Hammer curls - 1 set
Core work
Yeah weird - legs and biceps, but you are looking forward to you leg workout more when you know you are going to train your guns.

Workout 4 - OHP + weak points

OHP 2 sets
The rest is whatever your weak points are. I have a weak chest - my bench is like my OHP almost. So this is what I do
Bench 2 sets of 10 - working on technique with lower weight/ or dips if I am on the week with 4-6 reps
lateral rises - 1 set
Peck deck or cross over - 1 set
Walking Lunges - because I like to work on my glutes, balance and breaking sweat - progress on reps, rather than weight
core work

I play soccer as cardio - 1 or 2 times per week.

Honestly the best thing I have done. My emphasis is on quick work outs while I am trying to perform. Training to muscle failure, increasing intensity and working on different rep ranges, so I do not burn out myself with strength training. Perform, perform and perform. When you hit the gym you are on a competition with your previous self. This is why it is low volume work. You can remove all the assistance exercices if you would like to. But make sure the main lifts are there and done with maximum effort.

Last edited:
Back