Weight loss experiences with BJJ

Ballzilla

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Has anyone else here started doing BJJ to lose weight? How much did you lose? What else did you do along with BJJ to achieve your goals? I am interested because it's my single reason for beginning to train.

I lost about 40lbs when I started in about 2005. I was lifting also about 5 times a week to gain functional strength. You'll slim down for sure as long as you eat right, it's all about calories in vs calories out.

30 pounds in 3 months solely on BJJ eating sensibly. I was 310 now I am 280.

35 lbs. after 1 year. Down to 190 from 225 by just BJJ training and watching what I eat during the week. Still pizza and beer on the weekends!

I went from 215 to 168, but I was doing much more than just BJJ, I was training for an amateur MMA fight.

Unfortunately wasn't able to continue training after the fight (My dad was pissed at me fighting, wouldn't give me a loan to pay for BJJ classes back in my hometown) so I've ballooned to 185. Gonna get back down to 160 by NYE, hopefully, and BJJ will be one of the workouts involved in this weight loss.

I have always been about 135lb... I get to about 130 after practice and try and eat my way and hydrate my way back up, but my metabolism is crazy. You will lose a lot of weight at every practice if you go hard and keep your heart rate up. Sweat out about 3-5lb and eat a healthy diet, drink about a gallon of water a day. You'll be good.

I went from 13 1/2 stone to 12 1/2 so a 14lb loss in 3 months which isn't bad. But haven't lost anymore in the last 9 months or so.

Was at 215 when I started. Walk around these days at 185-190ish and have competed as low as 169.9. I usually competed at 173 or 187 though.

I've been doing BJJ for a while now, but I finally cleaned up my diet at the end of June. I went from 270 to 238.2 (as of this morning.)

As said, it's all about calories in vs. calories out.

I gotta clean up my act... my weight went up after an injury and I still haven't really picked up the pace. It's being my first week of proper dieting after a long time of not training regularly.

When I started training in martial arts, I weighed a round 137 kg, which is 300 pounds on the dot if I'm not wrong. I started training BJJ at 126 kg, which I think it's like... 270 pounds or something. Dropped down to 102 kg while trying to drop to under the pesad

245 to 185... took me 8 to 9 months with additional cardio outside of bjj once or twice a week and i started eating 5 to 6 small meals a day.. 1600 to 1700 calories a day, cut out sodas. btw im about 6'2".

All very encouraging responses. Thank you. My diet has changed drastically over the past 2 months which is how I've lost the 21 lbs I've already dropped. Can't wait to start training.

When I first got back in to bjj (about 7 months ago), I weighed 197. I'm now down to somewhere between 162 and 166. Best shape of my life... I've got my first tourny on Sunday so I'm trying to keep my weight in check but I'm going heavy on the weights afterwords - I'd like to get up to about 180 with sub 10% bodyfat.

Wow all good stuff to hear. I lost probably 30 pounds in 6 months. In great shape, feel good, clothes don't fit anymore. Now it has stabilized a bit, but I've adjusted my diet to try and get about 5 more pounds (3 as of this morning).

Lost 46ish pounds in about 3-4 months. Kind of floating up and down daily now.

Would like to lose another 50, 75 ideally.

Either way, weight or not, I'm in the best shape I've ever been in.

I started at 342 and am 260 now. It's been close to two years but my weight loss has really slowed the last 6 months. I guess i'll have to eat right as well, damn.

when i first started i was 185-190, i'm at 170-175 right now

i lost 40 pounds twice. once when i first started and then when i returned from balloning up after back surgery. right now i feel like im at my optimum weight/strength/fitness level in my life...including when i played football

Back