Weight lifting

One reason that lighter boxers and kickboxers tend to be lankier is because they're trying to maximize the reach advantage at their weight class. In a kickboxing match, a short, built guy can weight the same as a tall, lanky guy, but the tall guy will have a huge reach advantage. Once you get up to the heavyweights, you start seeing more muscular fighters, seeing as they don't have to worry about a weight limit...guys like CroCop and definitely LeBanner both lift heavy weights.

The final word on lifting heavy is that if you train slow, you'll get slow...if you train fast, you'll get fast. If you train heavy, you'll get strong. It is entirely possible to be strong AND fast (and even flexible) through proper training. Heck, even if you're confined to a weight class and don't want to add bulk, you can significantly increase your limit strength and therefore your speed and power without adding a bunch of bulk, just by correct training and watching your diet.

Check out some of Ross Enamait's stuff, he's a boxing trainer that is really popular here, he mixes a lot of conditioning work, speed work/plyometrics, with heavy lifting.

Look online for a workout that supports your goals and body type.....or cough up the 50 bucks to as a trainer what to do.

Most trainers dont know jack shit about liftin' for strength & power or fight trainin'. There's also a lot of bullshit that's been spread about because of the rise of stupid trainers and people liftin' like body builders and not athletes.

You got a video of that? Proof ? etc. I know Crocop did bodyweight squats but i have never seen him doing heavy squats

There have been highlights more than once on national TV broadcasts in Japan showing Crocop's old-school concrete weight set in his backyard from his youth, and him talking about lifting.

The Muscle-bound myth is a shit load of f*ck.

Well weight training does shorten the muscles, so if your program it can become a factor...that's why the guys on the "bench and curl for life" program tend to have crap posture.

Bruce Lee lifted weights and his combination of speed and power is legendary.

He did a regular lifting routine but also incorporated speed training and stretching to maintain speed. Also he talked about timing his weight lifting to be able to do it in a shorter amount of time (faster reps) for speed.

There's a book with all of Bruce's writings on training and different routines, I forgot what it's called but it shouldn't be too hard to find on Amazon.

Bruce Lee lifted weights and his combination of speed and power is legendary.

There's a book with all of Bruce's writings on training and different routines, I forgot what it's called but it shouldn't be too hard to find on Amazon.

The art of expressing the human body. That book sucks for training in general. I own it, fuck that, buy "starting strength" and ross enamait "infinite intensity" instead

Yeah i heard infinite intensity is really good, allright guy's i understand. Sorry if i pissed any of you off, im just confused to what i see everywhere.

Yeah i can see why the lightweights dont lift 2 heavy and the heavyweights do. I think im in the middle at 170 pounds and 6.2ft. So weightlifting for me wouldnt be so bad i geuss.

I found some good stuff: YouTube - Tyrone Spong in training by Rayen Bindraban

Tyrone spong doing deadlift squat(half assed) power cleans bent over rows presses etc.

Yeah sure man will do. Im asking if it would be bad for muay thai since i never saw anyone with huge chest huge arms huge shoulders or huge legs. So getting a 150+ Squat wouldnt be 2 great i geuss

150+ what, pounds, kilos?

Lifting doesn't equal big

Pies and high calorie intake equals big

Now go lift heavy stuff

I have spoken

150+ what, pounds, kilos?

Lifting doesn't equal big

Pies and high calorie intake equals big

Now go lift heavy stuff

I have spoken

Yeah i meant kilos. And i am lifting heavy stuff but what i see everywhere is that hardly anyone lifts heavy stuff so i thought i was being stupid when i did that.

Yeah i meant kilos. And i am lifting heavy stuff but what i see everywhere is that hardly anyone lifts heavy stuff so i thought i was being stupid when i did that.

Good answer. Had it been pounds...well let's just say you would have needed one hell of a flame proof suit...

Im in a discussion with someone now that training the neck muscles could prevent a knock-out better than someone that doesn't train his neck muscles. He is saying that this is bullshit and that i shouldnt watch so many rocky movies.

Am i that wrong saying that training the neck will help against a knock-out or is he right saying that a knockout is caused by the brain moving

Im in a discussion with someone now that training the neck muscles could prevent a knock-out better than someone that doesn't train his neck muscles. He is saying that this is bullshit and that i shouldnt watch so many rocky movies.

Am i that wrong saying that training the neck will help against a knock-out or is he right saying that a knockout is caused by the brain moving

It's good to have a strong neck, but your ability to take a punch is largely genetic. You won't develop a granite chin if you take a punch like Ettienne does right now, but you probably can improve some.

Assuming that a knockout is in fact caused by the brain moving, having a strong neck would help preventing knockouts.

Did you ever saw fighters like andy souwer, albert kraus, Peter aerts, ernesto Hoost, Masato, Jerome le banner, Mirko crocop etc. Do heavy squats?

this is why i hardly read threads anymore.

Hopefully some one that knows more about this than I do will weigh in on this, but here's how I feel about training any smaller muscle groups such as calves, fore arms/grip, neck, etc.

At first, just focus on the big compound movements. The body is one piece so training all of it will make you stronger, and if you're untrained you can't really guage your specific weaknesses. Over time you'll notice you're strengths and weaknesses some of which will be in those smaller muscle groups. Then start to worry about them as they come up.

I personally have recently realized that my grip has weakened to girl scout level proportions, specifically when I'm holding anything that isn't a bar (not good for a Gi BJJ player), so I've started doing a ton of grip work because I have a specific problem. Last spring when I have a very mild shoulder dislocation, shoulder stability became a focus for a while...you get the idea.

Back