Weight lifting - how necessary?

Since I started training power cleans seriously over hte past couple of months my hips have thanked me, I've definitely felt faster and more fluid in the hip department.

lifting helps strengthen the core and joints if done the right way.. The key is to remember WHY and for WHAT you are lifting. And that is for jiu jitsu

I don't understand why more people don't advocate strongman stuff

farmers strength>gym strength

we are doing it for grappling remember, an opponents moving body will never be evenly distributed like weights

my mate swears by Crossfit thou.

Marcelo Garcia stated in an interview that he does not lift weights. All of his exercises are natural BJJ exercises that help him with his strength and conditioning. I personally hate lifting weights also. I generally do lots of push ups, pull ups, sit ups and squats on my off days to keep my body conditioned. I do not think weight lifting is necessary if you are not an elite level competitor and just doing BJJ to stay in shape. Good luck sir!

Thanks for all the responses. I think you guys have convinced me to keep working on strength training. I'll take the recommendations to mix it up, add things like deadlift to the mix, and set goals.

Like the one poster said, "suck it up" and do it.

P.S. Regarding the stretching in the morning. I do it very, very gently. It makes a huge difference for me. If I skip a morning, I feel much tighter all day long.

Marcelo Garcia stated in an interview that he does not lift weights. All of his exercises are natural BJJ exercises that help him with his strength and conditioning. I personally hate lifting weights also. I generally do lots of push ups, pull ups, sit ups and squats on my off days to keep my body conditioned. I do not think weight lifting is necessary if you are not an elite level competitor and just doing BJJ to stay in shape. Good luck sir!

yup, because all of us train 6 days a week 8 hours a day like marcello

the average grappler would only benefit from lifting weights

Explosive lifting is the key... Kettle bells. Cleans. Squats. Pullups.

Not necessary, but very helpful if done in conjunction with flexibility work (e.g., Yoga).

When technique is equal or close, strength and/or speed, can be the determining factor for the win. Lifting weights will make you stronger and faster which can only help. When I wrestled in HS, in practice, I would wrestle the guy in the weight class below me. We were equals in technique but he lifted weights and I did not, and I would lose 7 out 10 times to him due to this.

yup, because all of us train 6 days a week 8 hours a day like marcello

the average grappler would only benefit from lifting weights

in the long run I think the dude who trains more bjj would benefit the most

if you have 8 hours a week to train, train 8 hours of bjj, not 4 hours bjj, 4 hours lifting

I don't understand this dichotomy in the grappling forum and BJJ community.

We consistently see threads like "how do I deal with wrestlers?" "What to do with someone that has retard strength?" "Why are wrestlers so strong?"

Then the answers are usually something like "Your technique is lacking" "Strength isn't that important, if you're going to lift work on muscular endurance?"

Why is it so hard for some people to figure out that strength+technique+conditioning is ideal? Wrestlers are so strong because they spend much time working on strength, lifting weights, working strength and power. If these strong wrestlers can give BJJ guys fits, why would being a strong jiujitsuka not be beneficial?

in the long run I think the dude who trains more bjj would benefit the most

if you have 8 hours a week to train, train 8 hours of bjj, not 4 hours bjj, 4 hours lifting

But what if I train 6 1/2 hours a week in BJJ and 1 1/2 hours a week in strength training?

There's bound to be a bell curve in how many hours a week of skill training will be beneficial for an individual. The more hours a week, the smaller the increments of improvement. At that point some other training may have a greater impact.

Lifting 3x a week for 30 minutes would be sufficient for most grapplers. No need to spend countless hours on curls. There are great examples of three day routines in the S&C sub-forum.

Last edited:
I'd say lifting is essential to better your BJJ game. To prevent injuries and to be more explosive. If you're getting bored, challenge yourself more and set goals.

Ever heard of a guy called Marcelo Garcia?

Pullups and ab exercises are all you need...lifting is just a bonus.

Okay say our technique is equal, but I roll, lift weights, and do conditioning drills. Then you just roll (maybe jog) and do your pull ups and ab exercises. When your weak flimsy ass craps out (if you don't get me early) I proceed to mop the mat with you. Don't be ignorant to Strength/Conditioning programs, they might make you a better Athlete. Just saying.

No need to spend countless hours on curls.

True, but in a sport where strong arm flexors are needed, a few sets of curls at the end of the workout is beneficial. People harp about functional training these days, but Strongmen curl for a reason, and that's to keep from injuring their arms. If they are good enough for them, their good enough for me, and a Strongman is as functional as it gets.

True, but in a sport where strong arm flexors are needed, a few sets of curls at the end of the workout is beneficial. People harp about functional training these days, but Strongmen curl for a reason, and that's to keep from injuring their arms. If they are good enough for them, their good enough for me, and a Strongman is as functional as it gets.

Do pull ups and row. Pull ups and Rows are going to put the body under more load than a curl, as well as syncing in functions of the entire shoulder girdle. Doing a pull up with extra weight added (via a belt, vest, dumbbell between the feet, etc) or rowing a ton of weight (seated, chest supported, etc etc.) is going make strong arms.

Lifting has many health benefits when done properly, both functionally and internally. However, I'm going to focus only on how it's relevant to BJJ.
1.) Injury prevention - been said already but really let this one sink in.
2.) Advantage in competition - assuming equal skill, the better athlete will prevail, and strength gives you a "skill spread" that can let you overcome a more skilled opponent through your skill and enhanced athleticism. Strength is invaluable in BJJ, yes we are supposed to be composed and technical, but there IS an advantage to being stronger.
3.) Dexterity - I always felt lifting improved motor skills. Not the super fine ones that BJJ uses, but you'll get improved body/muscle awareness as you learn to activate agonists during lifting movements.

I don't understand this dichotomy in the grappling forum and BJJ community.

We consistently see threads like "how do I deal with wrestlers?" "What to do with someone that has retard strength?" "Why are wrestlers so strong?"

Then the answers are usually something like "Your technique is lacking" "Strength isn't that important, if you're going to lift work on muscular endurance?"

Why is it so hard for some people to figure out that strength+technique+conditioning is ideal? Wrestlers are so strong because they spend much time working on strength, lifting weights, working strength and power. If these strong wrestlers can give BJJ guys fits, why would being a strong jiujitsuka not be beneficial?

because most wrestlers get their training while they have time to lift + train (i.e in jr/higschool and college), while alot of bjj guys are grown men with jobs and families. Also in your late teens and 20's your body heals and recovers alot faster than after you hit your 30's.

Chuck "The Truck" Wallace doesn't lift weights.
Isometrics. Animals don’t lift weights, and animals are STRONG…who wants to see me with my shirt off?

Back