Weight gain question.

Coleman

White Belt
Reaction score
Is weight gain really as simple as calories in vs. calories out?

I really want to gain about 15 lbs over the next year or so but since I train muay thai 3 hours per week and jiu jitsu 3 hours a week plus I spend about 2 hours a week in the gym lifting and doing cardio, I know it will be difficult. If I just start eating a lot more, will I gain weight? I weigh about 155 lbs right now and was thinking if I started doubling what I eat in a day (over time), I would have to gain weight, correct? I eat very healthy and eat mostly lean, whole foods so I'm hoping the weight won't be fat. Basically, I just want to really ramp up the amount I'm eating in hopes to gain some muscle. Will grappling and muay thai with a bit of weight training provide the resistance I need to build the muscle?

What do you guys think?

If you train alot you have to eat ALOT. I'm not going to tell you exactly WHAT to eat.
But a big healthy breakfast. Wait two hours and eat another "breakfast". Go on to eat lunch. Wait about two hours and have a snack. Then you eat dinner. Wait two hours and have a snack. Then have another snack before going to bed. Do this everyday, make your shakes for post workout and keep lifting. You'll be the next Akebono. Just kidding.
But you WILL add pounds to that body of yours. You could also cut down on the cardio training to "speed up" the bulking process.

Good luck!

No, it doesn't work that way. You're not putting on 40 lbs of muscle in two months by shovelling 10,000 calories down your throat in a day. You'll just get fat. If you want to gain muscle, you need a slight calorie surplus(1000-maybe 2000- over baseline is plenty), you need to lift weights, and you need to get a good nights sleep.

You NEED to lift weights if you want to gain a lot of muscle. The key is to keep your intensity(maximum weight) and your volume(number of total reps) high while avoiding overtraining. Supersetting big weights with low to moderate reps on two compound exercises seems to be pretty popular these days. Don't lift more 4-5 days a week.

i read somewhere some shit like

we need 18-20 cals per pound of body weight, to start packing on lbs

is this anywhere close to being accurate?

im kinda new to this game aswell....any help is appreciated

ChUtEBoXWaNnAbE said:
i read somewhere some shit like

we need 18-20 cals per pound of body weight, to start packing on lbs

is this anywhere close to being accurate?

im kinda new to this game aswell....any help is appreciated

ive always gone by: lbs of body weight X 15 = cals a day you should be taking in. to add or lose significant weight, add or subtract 800 cals. so i guess you're in the ballpark.

oh yea, OP lift more. you will gain weight by eating, but it will be nasty fat. eat more, work out more.

Back