Weight gain on 10 bucks a day

Urban

Savage Mystic
@Gold
Reaction score
Money is tight. I'll spare everyone the sob story, but I have decided to take on my budget and diet at the same time. So the goal is to gain weight on 10 bucks a day and eat healthy (limited fast food being the primary definiti0on of healthy). I foresee many eggs, nuts, and milk in my future. Some thoughts as I start out:

A gallon of milk is 3.29 for RBST free whole milk. That's an easy 2560 calories. I doubt I'll consistently drink a full gallon a day, but that's where I'll be getting a lot of my calories from I'm sure.

A cup of mixed nuts is another 1000 Calories. I've chosen to go raw and give them an 8 hour soak before eating them. The nuts are going to be primarily equal parts almonds (4.49 per lb), jungle peanuts (<3 dollars a pound at whole foods), Sunflower seeds (1.59 per lb), and pepinas aka green pumpkin seeds (5.59 a lb).

Greens are kind of expensive, and with the amount of pesticides on spinach (being at the top of the "dirty dozen" list) I'm not sure how much vegetation I'll be eating. Bananas are cheap, and I have good results eating them post workout for recovery, so they'll probably be a regular in here. I'll be keeping an eye out for blendable greens though.

Eggs are 5 dozen for 5 dollars at costco. Easiet thing in the world to keep on hand, 60 calories and 6 grams of protein a piece I've made them a dietary staple for some time now. At least 4 eggs a day keeps the doctor away!

Red meat is more costly than chicken... which makes me sad. Still, on occasion there are some damn good sales at the grocery stores, and should the opportunity to buy a large slab all at once for a roast or bbq, I sure as shit won't turn it down. Still, since chicken will probably be the primary dead flesh I masticate, I'll be looking towards dark meat. Its tastier and has more calories. Bone in, it's also dirt cheap (1.29 a lb for chicken legs, and you can save the bones and make stock for soup)

While the cost:protein ratio may be there, I'm not sure where supplements will fit into my diet/budget. That's something I'll have to play by ear.

I love fat, especially butter. Everything gets cooked in fat.

any starches will be from potatoes and rice primarily. They're cheap, they go good with fats, and they add mass. additional carbs will probably come from beans, primarily black.

Dude, do not start drinking a gallon of milk a day.
Tuna, eggs and rump steak seems like ur best bet, get urself down to the butchers

I thought you already did the get-massive thing? Did you get un-massive?

The get massive thing was countered by the date a raw vegan celiac thing.

^Ouch.

Well, I like the idea of doing this on a budget...equals=more ammo money, right? :)

Not sure if my heart could take that diet..

Any fish or fish oil supplements?

Exactly. ammo aint cheap. Gotta cut back somewhere...

MGreens are kind of expensive, and with the amount of pesticides on spinach (being at the top of the "dirty dozen" list) I'm not sure how much vegetation I'll be eating.

A good sub at subway is $5 and you can get as many veggies as you want! Easily a thousand plus calories..

I usually load up on onions, tomatoes, green peppers, cucumbers and usually spinach, but you've got me thinking about the spinach...

Today
Half a gallon of milk - $1.75, about 1200 Calories
4 eggs - 80 cents - 240 Calories
nos energy drink - $3.00, 330 Calories
Half a cup of sprouted mixed nuts - 500 Calories
ounce of butter
cup of cooked rice, fried with sesame oil and soy sauce
Double take amber ale beer - 85 cents
2 bananas

All in all looks like I ate on the cheap today, in terms of both Calories and cost. without the prices on some things the total cost came out to 5.55, and maybe a little under 2500 Calories. Need to make sure I eat a bit more. I don't have prices for everything, but I'll be keeping a close eye on things as I go along. Can't imagine I paid more than 4.50 for the stuff I don't have a cost for.

Since budget is a primary concern in this log, lets talk grocery bills.three days ago I got milk, some bacon (on sale) and a rockstar for about 7 bucks. two days ago I bought a bunch of chicken legs, and the seasonings to cook them and it set me back about 30 bucks (I had ZERO seasonings at my house). yesterday the only food I bought was a NOS energy drink for three bucks... so quite If I didn't have to buy more milk and eggs today, I'd be right on the mark, BUT at least now I have everything I need to season and cook some meat.

I figure keeping a running average of how much my food costs will be the best way to keep track of my food costs, rather than price everything out as I eat it.

The diet from the last couple days has been more of the same. 4 eggs, 2 potatoes, an average of about 2 quarts of milk, half a cup of nuts, 4 slices of bacon, and yesterday 8 chicken legs.

Still feels like I need to be eating more... Right now I'm contemplating breakfast.

If budget is such a primary concern why are you spending so much of your money on energy drinks like rockstar and nos?

Gotcha. My energy drink of choice is coffee with coconut milk and a little cinnamon. Much cheaper and healthier than energy drinks and I think it tastes better too but I understand addiction and it usually isn't rational.

i approve of your energy drink addiction, i suffer a mango venom addiction myself. also wheat germ is fairly cheap if i remember correctly and full of good nutrients so maybe you could look into that.

Load up on some oatmeal as well, it's cheap and definately helps for bulkling up.

While I know this is definitely "outside the box", but I am a huge advocate of drinking olive oil and coconut oil.

Contrary to popular belief, when used in moderation, it has numerous purported health benefits. Plus, caloric density can't be beat (2 Table spoons is 480 calories).

While I will concede it is a little bit expensive, one bottle tends to go a long way.

try to cut your addiction of energy drinks or go for the store brands/ generics... it can save you a lot of money...

Back