Weight Gain Diet in Fukuoka, Japan

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by Warmonger 99, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Warmonger 99

Warmonger 99 White Belt

I'm looking for any diet tips for putting on muscle in Fukuoka, Japan. The store near my house has a decent selection of chicken breasts and beef, and also has some veggies (carrots and broccoli).

Any advice or recipes would be helpful. My Japanese isn't great so I don't always know what I'm buying. I would like to get a decent repertoire of meals that are high protein and edible.

Thanks in advance

2. pliftkl

pliftkl Green Belt

Tips for gaining? Eat more. That's pretty universal, and applies in places outside of Fukuoka as well.

3. Warmonger 99

Warmonger 99 White Belt

hehe good advice. So any good Japanese recipes for weight gain?

4. pliftkl

pliftkl Green Belt

You know you need meat and vegetables, and both seem to be available. Are you somehow limited to Japanese style cooking?

You don't mention what fats are available at the local grocery store. That's probably the place where you're going to struggle a bit if there is a language barrier.

5. KILL KILL

KILL KILL Gold Belt

I love japanese food. should be easy to bulk up there. they live off of chicken, beef, fish, veggies, and noodles. eat all of that

6. Warmonger 99

Warmonger 99 White Belt

Yeah I'm studying Japanese every day but it will be a while before I am fluent.

Another issue I'm concerned with is carbs. I found some oats I can eat for breakfast, but i have only been able to find white rice (I don't know if Japan even has whole grain rice). Do you think this would be a problem or would I be ok eating white rice as a carb source?

7. ilef

ilef Purple Belt

Its harder than it sounds.

8. pocky jocky

pocky jocky Orange Belt

step one stop being another weirdo westerner teaching english in east asia :icon_neut

9. CombatCyborg

CombatCyborg Black Belt

They hire native English speakers because they want to learn English. Not that the TS said he taught English, but those who do are hardly imposing.

10. jodka

jodka Regional Manager

Dude, if you are bulking, white rice is a Godsend. Not only is it magically delicious, but it is very calorie dense.

I grew up on "Egg Rice". Just take a big steaming hot bowl of rice and mix in 3-5 raw egg yolks (egg yolks are safe to eat raw, but the rice should cook it some anyway.) Mix it up and add some soy sauce. It is AWESOME. I still eat it as a treat meal now and then. Save the whites for omelets.

FYI, my mom was born in Fukuoka. I visited 25 years ago when I was 6. Really need to get back there.

11. Warmonger 99

Warmonger 99 White Belt

Thanks for the info. I was just under the impression that white rice was much less nutrient dense than brown rice.

And if you visit, for the love of God don't come here in the summer time, this place is HOT!!

12. Loomy

Loomy Purple Belt

are you kidding? why do people do this to me.

you're in the country that invented sumo wrestling. SUMO FUCKING WRESTLING

13. oyaji poi

oyaji poi oyaji belt

For the most part, Japanese white rice tastes like ass. And because of trade restrictions they cannot import large amounts of tastier and more nutritious rice from Southeast Asia.

Anyway, brown rice is available in pretty much any store. But it's usually sold in smaller 1 or 2kg bags. It's called "genmai" 玄米, and it's a bit more expensive. But way more tasty.

You can order supplements from iHerb.com - Vitamins, Supplements & Natural Health Products. The shipping is really cheap, I buy a 5lb tub of protein once every few months, along with fish oil and creatine.

Milk and eggs are cheap as well. And, the cheapest milk is the full fat milk, usually the store brand is cheapest. You can get a litre for 150-180yen. Eggs are usually 150-200yen for 10, sometimes though you can find them for 100yen.

If you go to the store after 7pm you'll find meat and sushi on sale, often you can get meat for 20-30% off at that time. But usually you can find a store that sells chicken breasts for 35-45yen per 100g, which is dirt cheap.

You can also order meat from Shopping/Online Shopping from Costco -- Import Groceries & Goods From this website you can order stuff from Costco, but the markup is about 20% and you have to pay for shipping. But even then, sometimes it's cheaper, or at least you can get a good variety. The frozen chicken breasts and ground meat are a good deal. Most of the other meats are expensive compared to the regular store.

Actually, there is a Costco in Fukuoka, you can get tons of stuff from there.

14. dropshot001

dropshot001 Red Belt

a lot of rice, fish, beef/chicken, and veggies and you should be set

15. Warmonger 99

Warmonger 99 White Belt

Thanks for the info. That is what I was looking for.