Weight differences in Training/Sparring

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by NuTzOnSwOll, Aug 28, 2010.

1. NuTzOnSwOll

NuTzOnSwOll Purple Belt

To all you Pro n Amateur fighters out there.......whats the maximum weight difference you guys spar with or your coach throws you in with. Im talking 70% and up power ?

2. milkcarton

milkcarton White Belt

Anyone and everyone? I don't have much of a choice though because of how small the gym I'm currently at is.

3. NuTzOnSwOll

NuTzOnSwOll Purple Belt

Whats your experience level , whats your partner's exp lvl ?
    how hard are u going ?

4. golvmopp

golvmopp Always outnumbered, never outgunned

Sticking to the weight and size-difference part of your post:

Embrace the challenge! All the obstacles you overcome will make you a better fighter and tactician. Fighting a guy heavier and/or taller than you will put your speed and footwork to the test.

5. NuTzOnSwOll

NuTzOnSwOll Purple Belt

to that i answer : Whats your experience level , whats your partner's exp lvl ?
    how hard are u going ?

Also , have u sparred guys 50 lbs - 100+ lbs heavier ? Not beginners , equal or better skill/fight experience. Not that tippy tap shit either. I mean hard leg/body work. Fight pace.

6. FiveFeezy

FiveFeezy Orange Belt

I've sparred a lot with a guy that outweighs me by 80 pounds, same skill level as me. Of course he went light or else he would destroy me.

Another guy that I sparred with outweighed me by 20 pounds and was a much better and more experienced fighter. He also went light or else he would have destroyed me. Other guys that outweighed me by 20 to 40 pounds, but were not nearly as experienced as me could go hard on me and it would be no problem. It all depends.

If you want to go at a hard sparring pace the two people should be within 10 to 15 pounds of eachother. That would be for medium sized people, between 140 and 200 pounds. I would guess that at lower weights, the size differnce should be less and at higher wieghts the difference could be more. My opinion.

7. NuTzOnSwOll

NuTzOnSwOll Purple Belt

thats about what ive heard numerous (Emmanuel Steward,Freddie Roach, some dutch KBer) say. Stay within 20lbs up or down depending on if you're preparing for a guy with more speed or power.
    here read this :
    Now today i was in that situation ! Im training to fight next month and so is this other guy my coach's training (he gets special attn , 1 on 1 pads in the afternoon etc).
    So today in sparring he gets put in with me. A lil background info.....i fight at welter n my weights 153lbs (tall) this fucker's 200 lbs musceled up 6'4 (3-4" taller). This guy starts with a body kick ......HARD ! ok whatever . Does it again. Leg kick ...hard. Block it still pushes me back or drops me ccuz theres so much weight on my shin. Tell him "go lighter" ......same thing. Say it again next round ...go lighter ..im only 150lbs. My coach pipes up "well yeah but hes 'only' 185" ....yeah he fights at 185 , he most definitely is north of 200 right now (ive sparred LOTS of guys over the years n i know my weights) Even by that standard hes still 40lbs heavier.
    "Counter him" ......how the fuck u want me to do that ? theres so much weight behind those strikes that im getting bent back (it was definitely around 80% power...not trying to kill me but not holding back either...like fight pace)
    Next round this guys trying to knee me ! no pads either.....body and head ! luckily my guard is good. Still caught me on my hip n elbow n they are sore as hell.
    2 more rounds of the same bs. Hard body kick....hard low kicks. Throwing the knees.
    Afterwards my coach is telling me i have to train with this guy for the next month 6 days a fucking week !
    I dunno about that. I didnt see the point sparring him at all. Hes taller,stronger,more powerfull. No point going in on him throwing a combo cuz his counter is so heavy. That i just lose the exchange. I have to watch that body/low kick so much that i cant do much offense. Cant counter....cuz the shots are so heavy. I sure as hell aint body or head kicking this guy cuz i know hes counter is gonna be a low kick which is going to fuck up my knee for sure. Shit i was falling down when i was blocking it. Even a low block sent my supporting leg back a few inches ! Cant move around cuz my coach starts mocking me "Its not boxing" "Running is not a defence" "Foward FOWARD !". fUCK ELSE IM SUPPOSED TO DO ?
    My coachs explanation is "Well outside of this State everybody hits real hard with lots of pressure"
    yeah but theres a big difference between a 145lbs amateur hitting with a lot of pressure and a 200lbs guy throwing with a lot pressure. Plus if that guy has a strength advantage then i have a height advantage and it all equals out.
    he's like well a height advantage is no good against an experienced fighter........what ? We're not talking a short pro vs a tall ammy. If that shorty knows how to come in then i know how to keep him out too. Plus , why dont we concentrate on the fight on hand which is against a 6'1" 145lbs SOUTHPAW !!!

Oh yeah in between i also sparred a 6'7 270lb guy (all muscle , a firefighter). Not as experienced and definitely knows how to hold back.

I dont know man ....im pretty pissed.

8. thelyricalmaste

thelyricalmaste Green Belt

Are you training for an amature fight? Maybe your trainer threw you in deep waters to test your emotional stability under unfamiliar pressure.

9. NuTzOnSwOll

NuTzOnSwOll Purple Belt

he threw me in earlier with a 260lb 6'2 pro Footballer with a pro record of 4-0 with all 4 by ko. Only boxing n no right hand to the face. Seen me spar a 6'7 270lb with no fear and actually giving it to him (not full blast tho) seen me spar 2 180 lbers and humiliate one (from another gym) and dominate the other (our gym). Seen me spar his 10 lbs smaller phillipino buddy with 4 fights and tko him 3 times in two rounds (not trying to hit hard , just clean counters when coming in).
    Seen me spar various others with supposedly better conditioning , doing round after continuous round with them , watch them get tired and switch and keep going on. I dunno what else i should do ?
    Shit , im calm as hell in there even at times when i cant do shit.
    Sometimes when boxing or KB and u feel REAL tired after a 3-4 rds HARD sparring i'll stay in a round or two n let the fresher guy beat on me just to see if i can take it when tired.
    Even now , the reason i went 5 straight rounds was to see how i handle it. Landed a few counters but theres not much i can do.
    I just dont see HOW i can do anything if he continues to throw me in with this guy. Shit , im more banged up now than i was after my actual fights !
    The funny thing is he disparages my last gym cuz they spar hard and according to him "Thats sooo taxing on the body, takes such a toll"
    what was this then ?

10. milkcarton

milkcarton White Belt

trainer - retired fighter
    me - just got over injury so sparring and not hitting pads, busted my hand in my last fight unfortunately so just coming good now :D

We usually spar at 70-80%? 10oz gloves (I prefer bigger for sparring but he doesn't change his gloves so i don't, not smart though, not v fond of it)

he weighs 110-115kg, I weigh 75ish - lighter when i'm training properly though.

Trying to change gyms atm.

11. Bruno_Barbarian

Bruno_Barbarian Purple Belt

A 110/115 kg guy with a 10oz glove? Wtf?

Someone is gonna get hurt. Its just training, not a fight.

Btw, how often do you get cut?

12. hughes fan

hughes fan Silver Belt

I'm 85kg and spar with people from 60-100kg, I'm not choosy because it all benefits your speed and power in some way.

13. lucid

lucid FTW-champ!

For training ill work with everybody. The bigger guys i deal with having a bigger and stronger guy. Smaller guys i deal with better cardio and speed. When training it goes both ways as well.

In training and sparring everything helps. However, as fight day comes the 3 weeks out i stay with out 1 level of my weight class.

14. Robert D

Robert D Amateur Fighter

Your trainer is 110kg, an ex fighter and is hitting you 70% with 10oz gloves. What a shmuck. He either thinks he's toughening you up or he just likes beating on people.

Personally i'll spar with any weight. It depends more on their experience level than their weight. Obviously if your training for a fight then you want more guys nearer to the weight your fighting at.

15. NuTzOnSwOll

NuTzOnSwOll Purple Belt

yeah no shit huh ?
    its easier being the bigger guy.

20-30+ lbs higher than me im fine with. Its sparring a tall 50+ lbs HARD hitting guy i dont like sparring with.

16. NuTzOnSwOll

NuTzOnSwOll Purple Belt

17. NuTzOnSwOll

NuTzOnSwOll Purple Belt

^ my trainer does the same crap. He'll jump in the ring with these lil 8oz (!) gloves and no fucking shinpads and spar with us. Plus hes 200+lbs 5'8 (round but fast) ex-Welterweight fighter with 60+ fights.
    He does pull back and throws fast n light but i hate that bone on bone contact. Plus he doesnt wear wraps so every other punch u feel his knuckles through it. He also love grabbing me around the waist , lifting me straight up in the air like a grizzly bear and then slamming me to the ground HARD wwe style ...which i just found out yesterday is illegal as hell.
    but hey it impresses the hell out of the dipshit cardio motherfuckers who'll never jump in the ring even to spar.
    When i say put on some shinpads he says "no ...this toughens u up , my coach did it "
    yeah but that was in the 80s/90s and also u were a kid. Who the fuck wants sore spots on their shin afterwards ?

18. milkcarton

milkcarton White Belt

It's really frustrating but yeah, I've got no one else at the gym I'm at to benefit from in sparring - saying that makes me sound arrogant as hell but all our other fighters have left. He was fine when I got back from Thailand but I think he just got frustrated at some point, duno; just remember going really good (40-50%) then all of a sudden he grew 8 arms and 50 legs and upped the power and I left in pain? lol, never been the same since so I try to avoid sparring seeing as I'm not fighting atm.

19. milkcarton

milkcarton White Belt

Lol hurt is an understatement, as I said I'm trying to change gyms at the moment but it's very hard because where I live it really is the only gym. He has good intentions but ego clouding them unfortunately. This'll either make you laugh or cringe though but for me, looking back on it always makes me chuckle - when we were sparring hard leading up to my first fight, a few weeks out he broke my nose then after that fight 2 weeks after another fighter at the gym broke it again.

Huge eye opener - apparently I'm abit of a pussy for thinking it wasn't necessary, I think if it were their noses it'd be a completely different story though. I've never been cut, we don't spar with elbows but clinching with my trainer is never fun, uses his height/weight/strength to drag my head all the way down to his knees then tries to showboat for the retarded onlookers.

I'm dirty on that gym at the moment so please pardon my negativity at the moment. :)

20. FiveFeezy

FiveFeezy Orange Belt

Your coach sounds like a prick to me. There are a few out there. So are you training for a fight or just training?