Weight cutting end of HW/LHW?

That's the life of a fighter who is involved in combat sports. They choose this life. It's not as if they can't do anything else and be paid well for it. Keep in mind, that MMA is an expensive venture to get involved in. Even though there are the "top" gyms that are all encompassing in their training, at the bottom when you're just starting out, you may end up spending time at MULTIPLE gyms with many individualized coaches/trainers to train different disciplines. You have to go learn BJJ, then go learn boxing, or taekwando, or karate. It's not like boxing where you can go to a boxing gym and get into boxing.

And thats why the elite BIG guys play different sports.

If Jon Jones lost everyone would go nuts over how great the LHW division is, just like with MW when Anderson lost.

MW didn't become stacked just from Anderson's loss but from the sudden influx of talent from Strikeforce, Machida and Mousassi dropping down, and new prospects popping up all at once.

there just aren't that many guys that are naturally big enough that are interested in combat sports. athletes that size are usually better off in other sports financially, and a very small percentage of people do any kind of martial art to start with.

i really can't believe how big some of these guys must be in person. my dad is 6 foot 1 and 235. i'd say he carries an extra 15-25 lbs of fat, he does not have a gut. his damn calves and biceps are huge. just think, he COULD be a mw....

AS has been dethroned and JJ sits at the top of LHW.

Look no further than that for a reason why guys once vacated 185 to fight at 205 and are now vacating 205 to fight at 185.

Last edited:
Back