weight class woes. Need advise

revad3

Blue Belt
Reaction score
When your weight being right in the middle of 2 weight class now.

what will an experienced normal competitor in bjj will normally choose? Go down one weight class or up?

-being a taller guy, standing at 6'1
-timeline to competition 2-3mths

Thanks in advance

I'm not an experienced competitor, but I would choose to go down in weight so I can be in the lower weight class at the heaviest weight legally allowed.

You've got 2-3 months, so getting down a weight class is more than feasible and you won't have to cut water weight or anything.

Just clean out the diet and get to work. I've started eating clean again and I'm down 20 lbs in 4 weeks. Haven't changed how I work out or anything, just eating a lot less and a thousand times cleaner (I survive off fish and turkey nowadays)

You've got 2-3 months, so getting down a weight class is more than feasible and you won't have to cut water weight or anything.

Just clean out the diet and get to work. I've started eating clean again and I'm down 20 lbs in 4 weeks. Haven't changed how I work out or anything, just eating a lot less and a thousand times cleaner (I survive off fish and turkey nowadays)

Thank god for living in atlantic Canada, eh?

Seriously man, I'm pretty much a stereotype now. All I eat is cod and atlantic salmon, haha.

The only fish I usually eat are trout, salmon and mackerel. Any other fish I'm not really that partial on. Haddock and sole are fine sometimes. Mostly depends on how it is seasoned and cooked

YEa I would most definetly go down a weight class but start now so that you dont have to cut water.

who are these people cutting water weight for tournaments?

too risky with same day (or division-start) weigh ins imo

How much do you weight? instead of losing weight, why not gain weight via lifting weights and health diet (no cheetos lol)? THat would be the route i take if I'm on the skinny side, but if i'm somewhat heavy already, slimming down to the wt class below probably would be my bet.

What 2 divisions were you thinking off?

I am smack dab in the middle (usually walk around at 160). When I competed at Worlds this year, I started cutting (first serious cut) too late. I actually overshot it and lost 17lbs in 3 weeks, only needed 13lbs. With same dame weigh-ins, it was just retarded. If you have time to lose weight without killing yourself, then do it.

That said, with losing that much weight, I lost muscle and had ZERO energy. After my first match I felt like absolute garbage. I litterally dont remember my second match, like serious black out style. I was dehydrated, and hadnt eaten in 24 hours...

This is for a BJJ competition right? Not a dieting competition? So TRAIN your BJJ. Then TRAIN SOME MORE. Don't worry about your weight, worry about your BJJ. Then train again. Then put in some more time on the mats...training! When tourny time comes and you are in the middle of your weight bracket you will come to see it as a bonus. You'll be one of the few guys NOT worrying about making weight...cause you'll already be there. And you will have BEEN there the whole time...training. Actually training AT that weight. Don't worry about a measly 5-10 pounds. ESPECIALLY if it's a weigh in right before your match. BJJ wins matches, not weight. If you "lose" a match and then say, "oh, yeah, but he was 10 pounds heavier than me," then you're making excuses. The correct response should be, "my BJJ wasn't good enough, I need to train some more." Quit worrying about how much you weigh and start worrying about how good your BJJ is.

everyone always tries to fight lower, do the same. once one guy starts it..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back