Weight class and chin

Darth_Inv1ctu5

Yellow Card
@Black
Reaction score
...i.e. what's your take on comments such as the one Conor just made on the 202 conf. call saying how the shots he hit Nate with would have KO'd RDA stiff (ignoring, for the moment, the possibility that he was fucking about). Do you believe that difference in weight class makes a difference in chin against shots of the same power?

Frankly, I don't see it - at the very least within neighboring weight classes. Same punch against a head in different weight classes should, logically looking, cause the same or similar level trauma. I think there's been too much stock put into chin strength difference between fighters in different weight classes, when the real emphasis should always have been on shot power differential between weight classes.

Well bone density does account for something.

Conor can't knock out anybody over 145... even when he weighs 170...

/endthread

It's an impossible thing to prove that strikes that didn't KO one guy would have KOd another guy.

Yes, man, it DOES make a huge difference, just look at Cigano´s durability. Do you think Cain´s strikes weren´t hard enough and that some 185er or even 205er would´ve survived?

Yes, man, it DOES make a huge difference, just look at Cigano´s durability. Do you think Cain´s strikes weren´t hard enough and that some 185er or even 205er would´ve survived?

No, my point is not the shot power - my point is that, in your example, Cigano's chin would have been the same had he cut to 205. Shot power being equal, if Conor isn't knocking out Nate, it's not logical to extrapolate that that's the case because of weight class (which is what we do if we believe the comment about RDA), merely that it's because Nate has a chin strong enough to withstand Conor's shots.

Conor just confirming that he usually is the larger person in the octogon. Once he was up against someone his size, he couldn't KO him.

Is there a correlation between chin and weight-cutting?

I assumed a nonweight drained Diaz has a tougher chin than a dehydrated Diaz chin

i thought he could have kod rda to after the last fight against Eddie. rda didn't look like the same monster since hurting himself b4 the Connor fight. rda may have stopped the 1st person to hold 2 belts at the same time by getting hurt. if Alverez could wobble him for sure Connor could have.

Conor just confirming that he usually is the larger person in the octogon. Once he was up against someone his size, he couldn't KO him.

I don't think he ever claimed otherwise, in fact his comments were mostly derisive about the fighters in his weight class in terms of their size (calling the midgets, I believe?)

No, my point is not the shot power - my point is that, in your example, Cigano's chin would have been the same had he cut to 205. Shot power being equal, if Conor isn't knocking out Nate, it's not logical to extrapolate that that's the case because of weight class (which is what we do if we believe the comment about RDA), merely that it's because Nate has a chin strong enough to withstand Conor's shots.
Ohh, I see, but with my example I wanted to say that size does matter, that´s why a guy like Cigano, being a HW, could take those bombs, and if he dropped weight and fought at 185 (suppose it was possible), I imagine he would lose durability, yes. There are not many example cases to elucidate a drop in weight with the fighter keeping the same durability, first because every strike lands in a different spot (for example the same guy getting hit by a LHW and a HW, imagine the LHW lands on the chin and KO the guy while the HW doesn´t land on that specific chin spot and not KO the guy, so it wouldn´t mean the LHW hits harder than the HW, was that clear? lol) and secondly a drop in weight means a drop in the opponent´s power as well, so in the Cigano example, taking hits from Cain is different from taking hits from a LHW, therefore making it impossible to compare the chin resistance.

Who you spare with has a lot to do with it, iron sharpens iron.

Is there a correlation between chin and weight-cutting?

I assumed a nonweight drained Diaz has a tougher chin than a dehydrated Diaz chin

There's definitely gotta be a strong correlation. I remember Bas Rutten talking about this saying that the loss of fluid around the brain could make one more susceptible to getting KOed.

One example I can think of in MMA: Joachim Hansen at FW - was known for years for his iron chin and never got KOed in LW, but started getting dropped and KOed when he dropped down to FW.

In boxing: RJJ vs. Tarver 2, when Roy recently came down from HW back to LHW. Chris Byrd getting KOed in LHW after years of campaigning as a HW.

CpFIVv4VUAES-QB.jpg

Back