weight belts

Also, I'm not sure why people still say that using a belt will weaken your core...unless I missed the joke. ..

Because without it your core will adapt to the load and thus strengthen.

Right on the money. If that was true, about every powerlifter and strongman in the world would be in trouble. I don't think Big Z worries about his core weakening from wearing a belt when he's log pressing 450.
But then again, big z competes in a weight belt, so why hinder himself by training without one. fighters on the other hand, do not have the "luxury" of back protection while competing.

no real need for one although on your true 1rm...you can wear one just for peace of mind...13mm lever inzer belt is about the best you can do...

But then again, big z competes in a weight belt, so why hinder himself by training without one. fighters on the other hand, do not have the "luxury" of back protection while competing.

That makes no sense. No-one's talking about wearing the belt when training MMA.

I am. I'm constantly talking about it. Constantly.

That makes no sense. No-one's talking about wearing the belt when training MMA.
No we're talking about core development. And the application of said development is pertinant to the training protocols used for specific ends. Hence, if you're going to compete raw, some serious thought needs to go into whether use of a belt is warranted.

No we're talking about core development. And the application of said development is pertinant to the training protocols used for specific ends. Hence, if you're going to compete raw, some serious thought needs to go into whether use of a belt is warranted.

I understand what we are talking about. But you can

i would say lots of good mornings and ab work
if you use good technique a belt won't be necessary
although i would use one for max attempts but not
regular workouts

Get a 13mm Inzer Power belt. I prefer the traditional dual prong buckle but lever is great too.

Don't use it for a 5x5 program unless you are failing to keep your form in the hole strong.

Even then, it would probably be a better idea to drop the weight back a bit and get the 5x5 raw.

Use the belt for the heavy stuff like max effort doubles and singles.

Part of the reason for higher rep squatting is to really beat on the core. You use a weight that your legs can easily deal wiht but after enough reps, the core starts to give out. It should always tire first.

The low rep stuff, you are challenging your legs, not your core so put the belt on and go to town with the added safety and extra support.

thanks for all the help guys. i went out and got a belt yesterday. i usually don't order things online which makes it bad but i went out and got this one.
VALEvrlh.jpg

But I can. The reason being that the function of the belt is different in each situation. If I'm a Powerlifter competing in a belted comp, then whether I squat 250 or 700 is irrellevant. In competition I'm going to wear a belt and the "weakness" of my core doesn't matter. It only matters how well I perform belted. If I'm a wrestler, suddenly the performance of my core under great loads matters a great deal, and suddenly the belt is soley a matter of injury prevention once sufficient core strength has been developed.

I'm not saying "BELTLESS FOREVER!!!11!one" I'm saying there's a point where they're necessary and a point where it may, in fact, be beneficial to train without one.

I agree with you on all this. I was commenting on your choice of examples in argument.

thanks for all the help guys. i went out and got a belt yesterday. i usually don't order things online which makes it bad but i went out and got this one.
VALEvrlh.jpg

Unfortunately, about 3 years ago, I made the same mistake...

Back