Weidman / Lombard ... who you got?

He also wins on every single rankings on every website that has them...

If anything, Sherdog should say Lombard b/c he is more famous and has foughtmore famous people than Weidman and that is clearly what matters most. Losses to famous fighters > Wins over top 15 but not famous enough fighters on Sherdog :rolleyes:

Who exactly has Weidman showed his awesome talent against? I have nothing against Munoz, but Matt Hammil KO'd the guy. MATT HAMMIL!!!! (terrible, plodding striking). His fight against Maia was boring as all hell (saw it live and almost fell asleep), and please, we can't blame everything on the weight cut.

Weidman is a great fighter, I will give him that. He has a slick submission game and above average striking. But he is not on the level of striking that guys like Belfort, Lombard, and Bipsing have. I think any of those three either take him to a UD, and if he has a bad chin they KO him with ease.

This is just my opinion and isn't mean to offend you, btw. That shouldn't need to be typed out, but a lot of people get offended around here when other think one of their favorites will be beaten. I just don't believe Weidman has proved enough to be considered a contender.

Who exactly has Weidman showed his awesome talent against? I have nothing against Munoz, but Matt Hammil KO'd the guy. MATT HAMMIL!!!! (terrible, plodding striking). His fight against Maia was boring as all hell (saw it live and almost fell asleep), and please, we can't blame everything on the weight cut.

Weidman is a great fighter, I will give him that. He has a slick submission game and above average striking. But he is not on the level of striking that guys like Belfort, Lombard, and Bipsing have. I think any of those three either take him to a UD, and if he has a bad chin they KO him with ease.

This is just my opinion and isn't mean to offend you, btw. That shouldn't need to be typed out, but a lot of people get offended around here when other think one of their favorites will be beaten. I just don't believe Weidman has proved enough to be considered a contender.

I agree! Everyone calls Lombard overated (including myself at times) but Weidman is more. This guy is calling out Anderson after a good win over Munoz. First of all Munoz has lost to pretty much every good fighter he's faced and is not a top MW. His win over Maia was mediocre at best and prior to that, its a few lower tier MW's.

I think that Weidman has potential, he has shown us some good stuff and ability to be a possible top MW, but he needs more wins over better fighters to live up to the hype.

And I say the same for Lombard.

I'm a Lombard fan and it blows my mind how little respect he gets. That having been said, I'd have to see Weidman fight a couple more times before I made a call on that. Like a few other people have said, the Maia fight was awful and his win over Munoz was good, but Munoz's rank in the middleweight division was probably higher than it should have been. Forced to pick right now, I'd take Lombard.

LOL...take him down??? I doubt it, Hector with his judo base, balacce, strength and athleticism is very very difficult to takedown. I dont see it happening.

He would have better luck standing, which I would still say Lombard TKO's him.

Well to get inside on weidman lombard is going to have to be very aggressive which means he will not have a good base. And agaisnt a wrestler like weidman, he will get taken down. And if lombard doesn't rush in weidman will pick him apart.

Weidman improves more and more everyday, but I think if they fought tomorrow that Lombard would get steamrolled. I'd honestly say that Lombard losing the striking exchanges wouldn't be a huge shocker (Lombard hits like a truck but isn't the most technical guy in the world). I also think the if Weidman was getting outsruck that he wouldn't have too much trouble scoring a TD and putting in good work from top position. Yes, I'm aware that Lombard is a world class Judoka, but Weidman's wrestling has looked superb and the timing of his shot and the distance he can cover are by far the best in the division. In short, Weidman beats everyone in the division not named Anderson Silva, unless Silva vs Weidman doesn't happen until 2014 in which case Silva will be passing the torch.

Great post!
Munoz, while decent, was horribly overrated. Maia beat him in the striking, Okami manhandled him, Hamill knocked him the f out. Kendall Grove was tooling him in the standup and nearly knocked him out twice. Also, he didn't adapt his wrestling to MMA at ALL! Leben body slammed him with ease and nearly finished him on the ground.

Tim got poked and headbutted, before that he was taking Philippou down at will and practically tooling him everywhere, even went Anderson Silva on him and dropped him with a front kick. Then Philippou decided to be dirty and started poking and headbutting and the rest is history.

Besides, Lombard fought against Boetsch with a serious injury(fractured sternum) and pretty much everyone agrees that Lombard was robbed of a decision in that fight.
No evidence that a head butt or unintentional eye poke affecting Tim's performance, that I've seen.

With as bad a fight as Hector/Tim was there's absolutely no way a robbery took place. Too bad both of them couldn't lose.

Well to get inside on weidman lombard is going to have to be very aggressive which means he will not have a good base. And agaisnt a wrestler like weidman, he will get taken down. And if lombard doesn't rush in weidman will pick him apart.

Weidman is good at taking fighters down when he sets it up with his striking, thats what he did to Munoz, not so much when he`s defensive. To give credit to Hector, he has a terrific sprwal and is very fast at changing levels. Even if he attacked and Wediman shot, he`s still very good at getting to a sprawl position or reversing a takedown, his has excellent judo.

Its very hard to takedown a strong, quick and agille guy, who is much shorter then Weidman as well.

I got surprised how many people thinks that Weidman can submit or Ko Lombard, in 37 fights the guy only loses 3 close decisons and have never been in danger,of, course always there is a first time, but i don

Weidman is good at taking fighters down when he sets it up with his striking, thats what he did to Munoz, not so much when he`s defensive. To give credit to Hector, he has a terrific sprwal and is very fast at changing levels. Even if he attacked and Wediman shot, he`s still very good at getting to a sprawl position or reversing a takedown, his has excellent judo.

Its very hard to takedown a strong, quick and agille guy, who is much shorter then Weidman as well.

He didn't really set up his TD against Munoz with his striking. He timed Munoz's right hand and shot from outside. He's much like GSP in that regard. He strikes and then when his opponent tries to counter he shoots the double.

I got surprised how many people thinks that Weidman can submit or Ko Lombard, in 37 fights the guy only loses 3 close decisons and have never been in danger,of, course always there is a first time, but i don

This fight is more interesting that Weidman v Silva tbh.

2 hype trains with good credentials, both have decent striking, both are good on the ground. Would be a good test to see who's ready for the champ imo.

Obviously Lombard would have the power advantage, and Weidman would have the technical advantage.

I don't see how somebody with the length of career of Lomabard can be a "hypetrain." I would say new rule, anybody with more than 25 fights cannot be a hype train.

I want to say Lombard because I'm a fan of his and don't really like Weidman, but I think Chris would win.

Lombard by Submission. I think his ground game doesn't get any recognition, while Weidman is very good but i believe gets overrated by most.

Back