Weidman is going to tool Luke on the feet.

TdotK

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Rockhold punches with the speed of a turtle. He has power, but you can't be a wind up striker against Chris. I'm starting to think this might be Chris's easiest title defense to date.

And Luke can kick all he wants, he's just going to get taken down, and beat on. Yeah, he has good JJ, but that's his top game. When Chris is on top of you, your JJ goes out the window.

Chris by being a much better MMA fighter.

IMO, Romero is going to be Chris's toughest fight. Same problem arises for Souza, but in a different aspect. While he's explosive, his striking is like a beginner level kick boxer. Keeps his eyes closed, and head down. Chin all the way in the air.

lol, lot of people blinded by Weidman's scrotum.

This will be probably be a decision win. They are too closely matched and Serra Longo understand that you only need to win 3 out of five to retain. Chris was noticeably more active against Lyoto for the first three and he coasted the last two. Expect much more hotly contested early rounds that judges will probably give to Chris via being champion.

Rockhard is going to have to finish him if he wants that belt.

And he did just that.

If Luke is healthy for that fight, it wont surprise me if he dominates the Chris on the feet. There was vid that Luke was sick during fight week and he decided not to pull out.

If the Chris struggles with takedowns i dont like his chances, although he does make slight improvements and can adjust on almost evey fight

You could be right but I wouldn't bet the house on it...

I love these type of threads. Rockhold by vicious KO in the 2nd or 3rd just because TS said it wasn't possible.

Weidman's liver better come into the octagon with an appetite, cause it's going to be eating shins all night.

And on the ground...Rockhold is a very good grappler, but I think Weidman has the advantage there also. I actually think there is less disparity when standing then on the ground.

If Rockhold can keep it on the feet for a couple rounds then I think he can start landing body kicks without getting taken down. He kicks hard. We'll see what happens. Weidman is the rightful favorite but Rockhold is a great challenger. Jacare and Romero are great challengers as well. Weidman ain't holding that belt forever.

I see this fight being a quick win for The Chris, hurts him then GNP's Luke into unconsciousness inside 2 rounds.

i think both mens gas tanks will be the deciding factor. both cut a lot of weight and have descent chins. whomever it is though, jacare will take it in 2016. :icon_twis

Rockhold punches with the speed of a turtle. He has power, but you can't be a wind up striker against Chris. I'm starting to think this might be Chris's easiest title defense to date.

And Luke can kick all he wants, he's just going to get taken down, and beat on. Yeah, he has good JJ, but that's his top game. When Chris is on top of you, your JJ goes out the window.

IMO, Romero is going to be Chris's toughest fight. Same problem arises for Souza, but in a different aspect. While he's explosive, his striking is like a beginner level kick boxer. Keeps his eyes closed, and head down. Chin all the way in the air.

This will be possibly the first fight The Chris has that against someone who he can't takedown at will.

Also the first guy he fights in a long time under 35 years old.

So with a negated threat of the takedown and without a huge youth advantage ... we will see how will his striking look?

Not sure why people keep overlooking Rockholds stand-up game. I give him the advantage on the feet against most other middleweights, including Weidman.

Rockhold loses 3rd round tko g and p....its gonna take a wrestler to beat Weidman and Romero isn't that guy due to his stand up

rockhold has a reach advantage and I think he has better conditioning.

this will be interesting because weidman might have to conserve his energy so he doesnt fade in the later rounds

Rockhold is a very worthy challenger, but I personally don't think he holds and advantage anywhere against Weidman.
Maybe Rockhold has an edge in cardio that he can exploit.

I think you're overrating Weidman and underrating Rockhold and Jacare.

Weidman is great and could definitely beat both guys, but I think you're wrong in intimating it would be easy. You're considering their flaws while ignoring Weidman's.

Chris is quite slow, is quite hittable, has no kicking game, and we've never ever seen what he fights like if he is unable to take his opponent down.

With this mind, I think both Rockhold and Jacare could pose him serious, serious problems. The Chris is accustomed to fighting only smaller, older, physically weaker Brazilian strikers in recent years. Two guys who can match him for strength and grappling technique will be very different ball games. Don't be naive.

Rockhold's striking defense is pretty terrible, he was keeping his hands down vs Machida of all people. No doubt Weridman will be looking to exploit that.

Back