Weidman has the GOAT strength of schedule...

Nah, revisionist history. Machida was at his apex, even from a basic physique check that is so often used here. He was coming off the Mousasi win where he looked great and was billed as the most dangerous guy possible for Chris (a wrestling killer finally at his proper weight class). Their fight was a year before USADA, 2 years before his DHEA bust.

In terms of any champ facing killers... yeah you'd hope, but then again post a SPECIFIC 9-fight strength of schedule HARDER than what Chris had. Use any division/any time period in the whole sport. No one in this thread is posting an alternative.

Big Hendo fan and obviously his career-long strength of schedule was fucking insane (possibly GOAT for a career as a whole)... but which 9 consecutive fights tops Weidman's last 9?
Vitor Wand Rampage Silva Palhares Franklin Bisping Shields Babalu Feijao Fedor Rua Machida Evans Belfort Rua DC Mousasi. Fighting that level of competition from 2007 - 2015 is more impressive then anything weidmans done.

how many of those guys were in their fighting prime when he fought them?

looks good on paper though
I mean, he was fighting them all for the championship or #1 contender spot... Which means they got there. Apparently they were pretty good.

People can demean Weidman all they want, but he still has the 2nd most MW title defenses and 2nd longest title reign in the history of the MMA.
This includes both PRIDE and UFC. The Chris had a great run and is one of the GOAT MWs.

Nah, revisionist history. Machida was at his apex, even from a basic physique check that is so often used here. He was coming off the Mousasi win where he looked great and was billed as the most dangerous guy possible for Chris (a wrestling killer finally at his proper weight class). Their fight was a year before USADA, 2 years before his DHEA bust.

In terms of any champ facing killers... yeah you'd hope, but then again post a SPECIFIC 9-fight strength of schedule HARDER than what Chris had. Use any division/any time period in the whole sport. No one in this thread is posting an alternative.

Big Hendo fan and obviously his career-long strength of schedule was fucking insane (possibly GOAT for a career as a whole)... but which 9 consecutive fights tops Weidman's last 9?
U Seriouz?

Weidman = 8 fights in 5 yrs

On names purely (then obviously the prime aspect):

[2010-15] : 11 fights

Gegard Mousasi
Daniel Cormier
Maurício Rua
Vitor Belfort
Rashad Evans
Lyoto Machida
Maurício Rua
Fedor Emelianenko
Rafael Cavalcante
Renato Sobral
Jake Shields

[1998-2005]: 18 fights

Antônio Rogério Nogueira
Yuki Kondo
Kazuhiro Nakamura
Murilo Bustamante
Shungo Oyama
Antônio Rodrigo Nogueira
Ricardo Arona
Murilo Rua
Akira Shoji
Renzo Gracie
Wanderlei Silva
Renato Sobral
Antônio Rodrigo Nogueira
Gilbert Yvel
Hiromitsu Kanehara
Bakouri Gogitidze
Carlos Newton
Allan Goes

Vitor Wand Rampage Silva Palhares Franklin Bisping Shields Babalu Feijao Fedor Rua Machida Evans Belfort Rua DC Mousasi. Fighting that level of competition from 2007 - 2015 is more impressive then anything weidmans done.
U Seriouz?

Weidman = 8 fights in 5 yrs

On names purely (then obviously the prime aspect):

[2010-15] : 11 fights

Gegard Mousasi
Daniel Cormier
Maurício Rua
Vitor Belfort
Rashad Evans
Lyoto Machida
Maurício Rua
Fedor Emelianenko
Rafael Cavalcante
Renato Sobral
Jake Shields

[1998-2005]: 18 fights

Antônio Rogério Nogueira
Yuki Kondo
Kazuhiro Nakamura
Murilo Bustamante
Shungo Oyama
Antônio Rodrigo Nogueira
Ricardo Arona
Murilo Rua
Akira Shoji
Renzo Gracie
Wanderlei Silva
Renato Sobral
Antônio Rodrigo Nogueira
Gilbert Yvel
Hiromitsu Kanehara
Bakouri Gogitidze
Carlos Newton
Allan Goes
Guys, please reread the first sentence of the OP.
"FOR NINE CONSECUTIVE FIGHTS"

Huge fan of both Hendo and Nog and obviously they have legendary resumes. But we are debating the OP, not career resumes.

Guy, please reread the first sentence of the OP.
"FOR NINE CONSECUTIVE FIGHTS"
lmao, cant u find 9 consecutive fights in these 2 BS I sent?
or are gonna overrate Kelvin Gas?

On a sidenote, the main point should not be about it being "consecutive", but... Weidman fought these guys in a 5 yrs span... Back in the days, they would fight 15-20 times in a 5 yrs span...

lmao, cant u find 9 consecutive fights in these 2 BS I sent?
or are gonna overrate Kelvin Gas?

On a sidenote, the main point should not be about it being "consecutive", but... Weidman fought these guys in a 5 yrs span... Back in the days, they would fight 15-20 times in a 5 yrs span...
The point is them being consecutive because that is the topic I'm talking about. Your reaction is weird. Yes, Hendo likely has the GOAT strength of schedule overall. That is why the topic isn't about that... because that is acknowledged, while the thing I'm talking about isn't.

The 2nd best strength of schedule for 9 consecutive fights (IMO) is Hendo from Feijao to Mousasi. An asterisk (since it never happened) in there is that he was supposed to fight Jones after the Shogun fight.

Yoel been fighting killers IN THEIR PRIME and winning. He will fight Paulo next to cement his legacy as the toughest no bullshit fighter out there, and after he wins or loses, UFC won't give him easy fights ever because he isn't American goldenboy or a hypejob.

The point is them being consecutive because that is the topic I'm talking about. Your reaction is weird. Yes, Hendo likely has the GOAT strength of schedule overall. That is why the topic isn't about that... because that is acknowledged, while the thing I'm talking about isn't.

The 2nd best 9 consecutive streak (IMO) is Hendo from Feijao to Mousasi. An asterisk (since it never happened) is that he was supposed to fight Jones after the Shogun fight.
As I said, it should be about fights per year and not the consecutive aspect, much more relevant.

Moreover, Gas is the weak link here, and Rockhold cant be considered an HOFer, right now, realistically.

This means this schedule:

Murilo Bustamante
Shungo Oyama
Antônio Rodrigo Nogueira
Ricardo Arona
Murilo Rua
Akira Shoji
Renzo Gracie
Wanderlei Silva
Renato Sobral
Antônio Rodrigo Nogueira
Gilbert Yvel

[choose the 9 fights, up or down]

...is no less relevant than Weidman´s.

That's kind of what the fight schedule has looked like for most other fighters on that list as well...

SAKU GOAT:

Igor Vovchanchyn
Royce Gracie
Guy Mezger
Royler Gracie
Anthony Macias
Ebenezer Fontes Braga
Vitor Belfort
Allan Goes
Carlos Newton

[of course people are gonna bitch about Royler or Macias, but SAKU didnt want these fights..]

Rogério Nogueira
Kevin Randleman
Wanderlei Silva
Antonio Schembri
Gilles Arsene
Mirko Filipović
Wanderlei Silva
Quinton Jackson
Wanderlei Silva

[of course people are gonna bitch about Arsene, but SAKU didnt want this fight..]

Yoel been fighting killers IN THEIR PRIME and winning. He will fight Paulo next to cement his legacy as the toughest no bullshit fighter out there, and after he wins or loses, UFC won't give him easy fights ever because he isn't American goldenboy or a hypejob.
If you're pissed about Yoel getting stiffed while facing killers then direct your anger at either UFC or Bisping. Don't know why you're pissed at Weidman, who is the only guy in the universe to face an even tougher schedule recently.

Now let’s not forget, Anderson, Machida, and Vitor were at the end of their primes. He lost to solid opponents in Rockhold, Romero and Moose all by knock out. The gastelum win was good but I don’t believe he was a top 10 MW at the time. Definitely a tough line up of opponents regardless.

... for nine consecutive fights.

1. Anderson (wins belt)
2. Anderson
3. Machida
4. Vitor
5. Rockhold (loses belt)
6. Romero
7. Mousasi
8. Gastelum
9. Rockhold

Any debate on this? Just pointing out a fact that is often obscured under a mountain of complaining about his personality.

It's up there. But you can find stretches like this in many guy's careers, once you're a champ you're gonna be facing a bunch of killers in a row.

The Anderson wins are great obviously, but other than that he hasn't really accomplished all that much. Both Lyoto and Vitor were past their primes and off the juice when Weidman took them out.

Vitor 100% agree, he was deflated and looked like a flabby old man, Machida was still a real threat and had won his first 2 fights at MW. Plus that fight was AWESOME. Lyoto was definitely on the downward curve and really hit a skid not long after, but that was a quality win for Weidman at the time.

As I said, it should be about fights per year and not the consecutive aspect, much more relevant.

Moreover, Gas is the weak link here, and Rockhold cant be considered an HOFer, right now, realistically.

This means this schedule:

Murilo Bustamante
Shungo Oyama
Antônio Rodrigo Nogueira
Ricardo Arona
Murilo Rua
Akira Shoji
Renzo Gracie
Wanderlei Silva
Renato Sobral
Antônio Rodrigo Nogueira
Gilbert Yvel

[choose the 9 fights, up or down]

...is no less relevant than Weidman´s.
Why would it be about total fights per year when the criteria I'm talking about is the strength of schedule for consecutive fights? This conversation's criteria is straight-forward as all hell, even with an exact number.

I get it. You're bringing up great historical strengths of schedule. The problem is your examples aren't disputed. By me or anyone else knowledgeable. We all already know, unless we were casuals, what those runs meant.

The fact you have to alter the criteria away from what I stated in the OP tends to suggest just how insane Weidman's strength of schedule is. Otherwise you wouldn't be giving asterisks to Saku's list, posting 18 fights when the OP is about 9, changing definitions to say fights per year, etc.

Also, the guys you are changing the criteria in the OP for are already recognized for their legendary schedules as well. My point was Weidman's last 9 are criminally unrecognized in terms of just how legendary that schedule is.

And we'll just disagree if you think Gastelum is overrated.

Why would it be about total fights per year when the criteria I'm talking about is the strength of schedule for consecutive fights? This conversation's criteria is straight-forward as all hell, even with an exact number.

I get it. You're bringing up great historical strengths of schedule. The problem is your examples aren't disputed. By me or anyone else knowledgeable. We all already know, unless we were casuals, what those runs meant.

The fact you have to alter the criteria away from what I stated in the OP tends to suggest just how insane Weidman's strength of schedule is. Otherwise you wouldn't be giving asterisks to Saku's list, posting 18 fights when the OP is about 9, changing definitions to say fights per year, etc.

Also, the guys you are changing the criteria in the OP for are already recognized for their legendary schedules as well. My point was Weidman's last 9 are criminally unrecognized in terms of just how legendary that schedule is.

And we'll just disagree if you think Gastelum is overrated.
Im actually puttin asteriks at Gas,Rockhold,Spider too..Heck, even Vitor Gracie is problematic: old and past his prime, but some extra help.

Moreover, Spider was realistically past his prime, was 38 yrs old.

Without the context, your list means nothing.

You have to keep it real, and that´s what I did regarding the Arsene or Royler fights for instance.

Now let’s not forget, Anderson, Machida, and Vitor were at the end of their primes. He lost to solid opponents in Rockhold, Romero and Moose all by knock out. The gastelum win was good but I don’t believe he was a top 10 MW at the time. Definitely a tough line up of opponents regardless.
How widespread is this about Gas? It is insanity to me. If you look at his last 5 fights BESIDES the loss to Chris: the guy beat Hendricks at 170, retired Kennedy, KOd Vitor, KOd Bisping, and beat Jacare. Now getting a title shot. You're gonna be DAMN hard pressed to say he is not a top 10 talent in the middle of all of that (meaning when he lost to Chris).

Back