Weidman has had 22 or 23 surgeries, that's the reason for his decline.

• Thread starter Deleted member 551049
  • Start date
His team is to blame too. Extremely evident he has needed a step down in competition for a while.

Serra-Longo are good coaches but poor managers. Al taking the Hooker fight in Australia was very stupid too.

His striking is poor, his striking D even worse. He is slow as hell as has no head movement. His cardio hasnt been good either. Then all of a sudden he decides he should move to LHW. WTF???

Actually, what has been working out for him? He is the best mat kisser? Maybe that

I keep seeing people talk about Weidman's decline and blaming it on USADA or his chin being gone. I'm not saying either of those things aren't playing a factor, but that's not the reason he's fallen off a cliff in terms of technical ability. It's the injuries.

He said during his last interview with Ariel that he's had 22 or 23 surgeries. Let that sink in. We've seen fighters' careers go to shit after one bad injury, or some chronic issue that plagues them. Weidman has been dealing with all sorts of problems since before he ever even made it to the UFC and it has only gotten worse since then. His thumb, neck, knees, etc. Any one of these issues could've been career altering, let alone all of them together.

I timestamped it at when the injury talk starts, but he mentions the surgery number at 9:05.

The guy's physical prime was over before most of us even knew who he was. His knees are so bad that it's shocking he's been able to fight at all, let alone against the best in the world. If you go back to when he was competing at ADCC as a purple belt, you can see that the dude was a phenom grappler. That's his strength and what got him to the top, it's what set up his KO of Anderson. He took guys down, had the reach to land GnP from crazy distances and then would finish with his world class chokes.

It's very clear that he's not physically able to grapple that way anymore so he's had to reinvent himself as a striker who sometimes tries to mix it up with the wrestling a bit, which clearly hasn't been as effective for him. His takedowns are nowhere near as dominant because he just isn't as physically imposing. It would be impossible for that not to be the case.

A lot of people still hate him because he was better than Anderson even while seriously diminished, so they want to act like his drop off has all been because of USADA (ironic because Anderson is the one who's a proven steroid user). No one takes into account that he's had more surgeries than anyone else at the elite level in MMA. Neither fight was a fluke, he just isn't the same guy anymore. People talk about Cain like he's the best example of unrealized potential but Weidman has dealt with way more injuries and they've been just as severe as anything he had to deal with. It's a shame to see how his career has played out, but that's the fight game.

Did he have all 23 surgeries right after USADA was implemented?

More than 5 surgeries in 10 years and you're not the same. That's true.

It's almost like having nearly two dozen fucking surgeries might hinder his ability to train at an elite level and maintain the type of defense required to go up against the best strikers in the world.

If you can't train at the elite level you shouldnt be fighting elite fighters, lol. No pity on him.

"Weidman has had 22 or 23 surgeries, that's the reason for his decline."

Well, let him get the 24th or 25th surgery, this time to his Brain, to make him stop fighting!
:mad:

His boxing is also terrible for a high level UFC athlete

I keep seeing people talk about Weidman's decline and blaming it on USADA or his chin being gone. I'm not saying either of those things aren't playing a factor, but that's not the reason he's fallen off a cliff in terms of technical ability. It's the injuries.

He said during his last interview with Ariel that he's had 22 or 23 surgeries. Let that sink in. We've seen fighters' careers go to shit after one bad injury, or some chronic issue that plagues them. Weidman has been dealing with all sorts of problems since before he ever even made it to the UFC and it has only gotten worse since then. His thumb, neck, knees, etc. Any one of these issues could've been career altering, let alone all of them together.

I timestamped it at when the injury talk starts, but he mentions the surgery number at 9:05.

The guy's physical prime was over before most of us even knew who he was. His knees are so bad that it's shocking he's been able to fight at all, let alone against the best in the world. If you go back to when he was competing at ADCC as a purple belt, you can see that the dude was a phenom grappler. That's his strength and what got him to the top, it's what set up his KO of Anderson. He took guys down, had the reach to land GnP from crazy distances and then would finish with his world class chokes.

It's very clear that he's not physically able to grapple that way anymore so he's had to reinvent himself as a striker who sometimes tries to mix it up with the wrestling a bit, which clearly hasn't been as effective for him. His takedowns are nowhere near as dominant because he just isn't as physically imposing. It would be impossible for that not to be the case.

A lot of people still hate him because he was better than Anderson even while seriously diminished, so they want to act like his drop off has all been because of USADA (ironic because Anderson is the one who's a proven steroid user). No one takes into account that he's had more surgeries than anyone else at the elite level in MMA. Neither fight was a fluke, he just isn't the same guy anymore. People talk about Cain like he's the best example of unrealized potential but Weidman has dealt with way more injuries and they've been just as severe as anything he had to deal with. It's a shame to see how his career has played out, but that's the fight game.

People that get off PEDs get hurt....

He's 35yo, sports history is full of guys who were beasts in their 20's but wash-outs in their 30's. Everybody ages differently.

It's almost like having nearly two dozen fucking surgeries might hinder his ability to train at an elite level and maintain the type of defense required to go up against the best strikers in the world.

No one cares. We care about his ability in the ring and lately hes really gone above and beyond in his sacrifice to the justbleed gods.

Are his surgeries the reason he tried to scam his way to a victory against Gegard?

Youre never the same after a major surgery, are you better? Sure. Or else you wouldnt even get the surgery, but you arent the same.

It's not the surgeries so much as the injuries that the surgeries are intended to repair. I'm not an athlete, but I've had three surgeries, and they, combined with the conditions they repaired, have definitely taken their toll on me.

MW's in his generation are slowing down or on their way out.

At least he's a better MW champ than Bisping.

#stillMyBoy

Great post but silva fanboys will get all deluded on your ass.

Back