Weidman has had 22 or 23 surgeries, that's the reason for his decline.

• Thread starter Deleted member 551049
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 551049

I keep seeing people talk about Weidman's decline and blaming it on USADA or his chin being gone. I'm not saying either of those things aren't playing a factor, but that's not the reason he's fallen off a cliff in terms of technical ability. It's the injuries.

He said during his last interview with Ariel that he's had 22 or 23 surgeries. Let that sink in. We've seen fighters' careers go to shit after one bad injury, or some chronic issue that plagues them. Weidman has been dealing with all sorts of problems since before he ever even made it to the UFC and it has only gotten worse since then. His thumb, neck, knees, etc. Any one of these issues could've been career altering, let alone all of them together.

I timestamped it at when the injury talk starts, but he mentions the surgery number at 9:05.

The guy's physical prime was over before most of us even knew who he was. His knees are so bad that it's shocking he's been able to fight at all, let alone against the best in the world. If you go back to when he was competing at ADCC as a purple belt, you can see that the dude was a phenom grappler. That's his strength and what got him to the top, it's what set up his KO of Anderson. He took guys down, had the reach to land GnP from crazy distances and then would finish with his world class chokes.

It's very clear that he's not physically able to grapple that way anymore so he's had to reinvent himself as a striker who sometimes tries to mix it up with the wrestling a bit, which clearly hasn't been as effective for him. His takedowns are nowhere near as dominant because he just isn't as physically imposing. It would be impossible for that not to be the case.

A lot of people still hate him because he was better than Anderson even while seriously diminished, so they want to act like his drop off has all been because of USADA (ironic because Anderson is the one who's a proven steroid user). No one takes into account that he's had more surgeries than anyone else at the elite level in MMA. Neither fight was a fluke, he just isn't the same guy anymore. People talk about Cain like he's the best example of unrealized potential but Weidman has dealt with way more injuries and they've been just as severe as anything he had to deal with. It's a shame to see how his career has played out, but that's the fight game.

Probably a big factor. That and getting KOd in his past 5 out of 6 matches. His level of competition has been insane.

Time to hang em up before any more brain damage occurs. Its only downhill from here.

Do you wanna give birth to Healthy Weidman?

Last edited:
Yeah thats sure a big factor , Not having to fight guys like Anderson Silva and middleweights from his era is another.

I thought it was his bad striking defense.

It's almost like having nearly two dozen fucking surgeries might hinder his ability to train at an elite level and maintain the type of defense required to go up against the best strikers in the world.

Same thing happened to Frank Mir and Tito Ortiz, guys were never the same after surgeries. But getting KTFO'd all the time didn't help either.

Needs to drop down in comp and get some wins. Deciding to fight the #4 guy in a new weight class isn't very smart. My suggestion is go to Bellator or PFL if he insists on fighting.

He hasn't had 23 surgeries lmao

You don't need much of a brain to realise that doesn't pass the credibility test

Youre never the same after a major surgery, are you better? Sure. Or else you wouldnt even get the surgery, but you arent the same.

His problem is that he's slow

He had a good run but he just can't compete with the elite guys anymore

I keep seeing people talk about Weidman's decline and blaming it on USADA or his chin being gone. I'm not saying either of those things aren't playing a factor, but that's not the reason he's fallen off a cliff in terms of technical ability. It's the injuries.

He said during his last interview with Ariel that he's had 22 or 23 surgeries. Let that sink in. We've seen fighters' careers go to shit after one bad injury, or some chronic issue that plagues them. Weidman has been dealing with all sorts of problems since before he ever even made it to the UFC and it has only gotten worse since then. His thumb, neck, knees, etc. Any one of these issues could've been career altering, let alone all of them together.

I timestamped it at when the injury talk starts, but he mentions the surgery number at 9:05.

The guy's physical prime was over before most of us even knew who he was. His knees are so bad that it's shocking he's been able to fight at all, let alone against the best in the world. If you go back to when he was competing at ADCC as a purple belt, you can see that the dude was a phenom grappler. That's his strength and what got him to the top, it's what set up his KO of Anderson. He took guys down, had the reach to land GnP from crazy distances and then would finish with his world class chokes.

It's very clear that he's not physically able to grapple that way anymore so he's had to reinvent himself as a striker who sometimes tries to mix it up with the wrestling a bit, which clearly hasn't been as effective for him. His takedowns are nowhere near as dominant because he just isn't as physically imposing. It would be impossible for that not to be the case.

A lot of people still hate him because he was better than Anderson even while seriously diminished, so they want to act like his drop off has all been because of USADA (ironic because Anderson is the one who's a proven steroid user). No one takes into account that he's had more surgeries than anyone else at the elite level in MMA. Neither fight was a fluke, he just isn't the same guy anymore. People talk about Cain like he's the best example of unrealized potential but Weidman has dealt with way more injuries and they've been just as severe as anything he had to deal with. It's a shame to see how his career has played out, but that's the fight game.

nope reality is he was never that good dam Nyer's

Revisionist History. He was cleared to fight and lost to all the elite in Prime MW's of his era. Then he was forced to move up to LHW said he is going to beat Jones and got blasted buy Reyes in less then 20 seconds. Wiedman was built up to be more than he actual was.

I don't get why everyone is so caught up in defending his career or bashing him. The dude has had a nice career...he beat some legends, became a champion, defended and then it came to an end. As a bonus he got to cash 5 more nice checks even though he was clearly over the hill.

Pretty hard to ignore that line in the sand when dozens of other top fighters started losing as well.

Not saying there weren't other thingz for Chris... & the surgeries are obviously in the mix as well... but it's just hard to look at an undeated champ who started losing right after July 2015 & think that USADA had nothing to do with it.

I don't get why everyone is so caught up in defending his career or bashing him. The dude has had a nice career...he beat some legends, became a champion, defended and then it came to an end. As a bonus he got to cash 5 more nice checks even though he was clearly over the hill.

People are emotionally attached to attempting to explain away his wins over Silva. I'm just reminding everyone of the actual reasons why his career went downhill. Been saying it for years, even before he'd lost. He was the best when he was relatively healthy, but he couldn't maintain that. It happens. Fighting takes more of a toll on some than others.

Back